I hope they avoid the SP/RP shuttle with Tyler Wells and he put him in the pen

Greg Pappas

I don't expect Wells to be able to make it through a full season as a starter and I don't expect that from Means either. I think both of them will tag team their spots in the starting rotation and I think they will both be effective when they do start. It's just they don't seam to have the healthy stamina yo make it through the duration of the season.

Irvin on the other hand has a career history of making it to 170-180+ innings pitched. 

I also like the idea of both Irvin and Means being in the rotation at the same time to give us 2 lefties in the rotation for balance in the mix. And with that the bullpen would be made better with Wells.

But I do agree that once Wells goes to the bullpen, he should stay there and not be shuffled back and forth. For this reason guys like Teheran, Suarez, Zimmerman, and McDermott become valuable for depth.

58 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Who is in the rotation if Wells isnt?  Burnes, Grayson, Kremer, Irvin, Wells.  A guy like Mcdermott could be an in house option to cover the role in the pen that we thought Wells would cover.  

Possibly Teheran

I think part of Wells and Irvin's value is that they can be starters or bull pen pitchers.

I don't  think Hyde/Elias  would make the decision now on who goes to the pen when Means comes back.

Edited by wildcard

Just a reminder that Wells also tired in the second half in 2021, when he was used exclusively as a reliever.  So I’m not sure it matters which role he’s in insofar as second half fatigue is concerned.   He’ll either have it or he won’t.  I’m in favor of starting our best five available starters at the beginning of the year, and worry about the rest later. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Fiver6565 said:

Now that he has that year with 100+IP under his belt, he should be able to give more this year. 

He threw 103 innings in 2022 and was used exclusively as a starter. He threw 118 innings last year.  He turns 30 in August.  This may be who he is. But it looks like pitching 100 innings isn't a special threshold for him. 

They clearly have no plans to put him in the bullpen to start the season. I would say he’s the first guy to get bumped to the pen if Means/Bradish come back. Of course that also depends on performance. 

Edited by waroriole

All he needs to do is what he has already proven that he is capable, a half of a season (at most) of good/capable production as a starter.

We just need him until injured reinforcements return or we acquire a good starter at/near trade deadline.