I hope they avoid the SP/RP shuttle with Tyler Wells and he put him in the pen

Greg Pappas

After what happened with Wells last year, it is my hope that we do all we can to avoid shuttling Wells between starting and the pen.  

I cannot claim any inside knowledge in this regard, but it seems wise to leave Wells in the pen after what I term as 'innings fatigue' last year.  Regardless, maybe the O's feel he will not have that issue again this season?  Then again, he would not have that problem if left to tend to the undermanned pen, especially during a season sans Bautista.  Wells being a fixture in the later innings would be a boon to the team, even with us being shorthanded in the rotation. 

My interpretation of this matter may be off, so I'd like to get everyone's thoughts on this. 

17 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

After what happened with Wells last year, it is my hope that we do all we can to avoid shuttling Wells between starting and the pen.  

I cannot claim any inside knowledge in this regard, but it seems wise to leave Wells in the pen after what I term as 'innings fatigue' last year.  Regardless, maybe the O's feel he will not have that issue again this season?  Then again, he would not have that problem if left to tend to the undermanned pen, especially during a season sans Bautista.  Wells being a fixture in the later innings would be a boon to the team, even with us being shorthanded in the rotation. 

My interpretation of this matter may be off, so I'd like to get everyone's thoughts on this. 

Agree with you, Greg.   I trust Wells in the pen more than anyone other than Kimbrel.  I think his stuff will play up in the pen.

• Upvote 1

This really depends on health and return of Means (and later Bradish).  Because I don’t see O’s signing Montgomery/Snell or consummating trade for SP before the season opens.  

I agree, and just said the same thing in the bullpen thread. With him the bullpen looks pretty strong, but without him it gets ugly. He could really shore things up, and at the end of the day I also think the bullpen is the best fit for him.

Question is, what is the prognosis for Bradish and Means? If we could have confidence that we will get one or both back, then Wells can stay in the bullpen. Zimmermann or someone can cover a couple of starts in April.  If they are both likely to be out, then we may need Wells to step up. If they keep stretching Wells out, that may be a sign that it's not looking good for Bradish and Means.

• Upvote 1

I do think an interesting question is, who should go to the pen first…Wells or Irvin?  Wells would be my answer because I think Irvin is more dependable over a full season  but it’s also fair to say Wells may be more successful for the first 2-4 months. 

I don't buy the notion that Wells is forever limited to 120 IP per season max at age 29, so between Teheran and Wells, I would go with whomever looks like the stronger pitcher on Opening Day and not overthink things.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I do think an interesting question is, who should go to the pen first…Wells or Irvin?  Wells would be my answer because I think Irvin is more dependable over a full season  but it’s also fair to say Wells may be more successful for the first 2-4 months. 

I lean Wells because he seems like a better bullpen asset than Irvin. 

That may be unfair just because Wells has had more bullpen opportunities, but I see Wells as a possible 8th/9th inning guy and I don't see that for Irvin. 

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Agree with this.   I prefer Irvin in the rotation over Wells.   Like I said earlier in this thread...I think Wells' stuff will play up a bit in the pen.

Wells was our best starter through the ASB last year, I don't know if people tend to forget that, or just minimize it for some reason.  He had innings limitations and got tired, but a lot of that was because he was already at that point exceeding prior innings totals.  Now that he has that year with 100+IP under his belt, he should be able to give more this year.  Bumping him to the pen, where he'd probably only throw 70-80 innings if he was down there all year, just reverses the progress he made last year in regard to the innings he can be expected to throw.

Wells is a good starter and we need him in the rotation.  And if it gets to August and we have extra starters then one way or another, we could bump him back then just like we did last year (hopefully w/o the long rest stint in the minors this time).  But he has to be in the OD rotation.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

I lean Wells because he seems like a better bullpen asset than Irvin. 

That may be unfair just because Wells has had more bullpen opportunities, but I see Wells as a possible 8th/9th inning guy and I don't see that for Irvin. 

Maybe…I could see Irvin being the better stuff guy though.  And he can have great command as well.

Irvin has a couple of 180 inning seasons to his name. We got him to be a starter. So I think if he's doing well he should stay in the rotation over Wells once Means is back. 

But it's kind of splitting hairs. Wells is a fine starter in his own right.

I agree that Wells is more of an asset as a late-inning reliever than as a starter.  Right now, unfortunately, he may have to be a starter, unless (1) the O's make another signing/trade, or (2) Teheran or Suarez does enough to convince the team that they can be a reasonable stopgap.   Whether Irvin can pitch better than he did last year is also a factor.