How Stowers and Cowser can Make the Roster

Aristotelian

I think O'Hearn is definitely a lock. I also read that article about how he's speaking up more in team meetings and emerging as a veteran leader. But it's worth saying again:

Santander looked good at first last season.

He only played 72 innings at the position, but he actually had a higher DRS at the position than O'Hearn. (So did Urias, btw).

I saw a couple of those games in person sitting behind first base. Watching him in warm ups between innings, he looked really comfortable. Picking balls out of the dirt with ease.

I don't think this is going to happen, but there is definitely an alternative universe where the O's extend Santander to a team-friendly three year deal and he transitions to first base.

2 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

I don't think this is going to happen, but there is definitely an alternative universe where the O's extend Santander to a team-friendly three year deal and he transitions to first base.

No - because Adley will need to start playing some 1B, along with Basallo and possibly Mayo

Edited by DirtyBird
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It does..it’s just not the best team we can put out there but for service time reasons, it can work.

If service time weren't a thing, the roster would probably look differently.

They're more worried about putting the best team on the field in Sept. rather than April, rightfully so.

1 hour ago, spleen1015 said:

There's this article on MLB.com

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/ryan-o-hearn-a-leader-for-orioles-in-2024-season

with this quote from Hyde.

"He's on the team, he just needs to get ready for the season,” Hyde said Friday before the O’s 7-2 loss to the Rays at Charlotte Sports Park. “He's earned it, and he deserves it. And he's one of the leaders on our team, also. I love the way he goes about his business. He's a total professional.”

Not only his he on the team, but he could put up Chris Davis level of bad numbers through June and they still won't get rid of him. That's how long of a leash they will porbably give them 

• Upvote 1

With the current group of candidates, they can both make it-- if neither of Mayo/Holliday do. 

I do imagine that Cowser/Stowers' performances have just about booked Kjerstad's ticket to Norfolk.

45 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He’s the one they should keep. So many lefty OFers, plays a decent LF in a park where you need that.

I don't always agree with your takes, but I definitely agree with this take. We have so many LHHs (and not just in the OF either). Right now, our "regulars" include just two other RHHs (Westburg and Mountcastle) and I'm not completely convinced that Westburg will be a true regular--though I'm of the same mind on Hays. I think we see both get more days off than some of the other regulars. 

I honestly like Hays for his righty bat and defense in LF as you stated. But I do think he may be poised for a bit of a reduction in playing time and I think that may be for the best given his falling off of sorts in the second half the last two years. 

I think the Opening Day roster decision is overrated.  We have excellent depth and it only takes one injury for the "surplus" to become a necessity.  

You don't take Stowers based on a hot spring (too many examples like this to mention) and you don't trade him just to trade him. 

Just now, StottyByNature said:

I think the Opening Day roster decision is overrated.  We have excellent depth and it only takes one injury for the "surplus" to become a necessity.  

You don't take Stowers based on a hot spring (too many examples like this to mention) and you don't trade him just to trade him. 

We wouldn't be trading him just to trade him. We'd be trading him (or Urias, or whomever) for some much-needed bullpen help. 

Mountcastle needs to be platooned until he shows he doesn’t. 

In a perfect world, both Mountcastle and O’Hearn are off the team next year and they find a different direction for 1B. Too late to hope for that this year though

27 minutes ago, interloper said:

We wouldn't be trading him just to trade him. We'd be trading him (or Urias, or whomever) for some much-needed bullpen help. 

If the value is there, sure go for it.  If it's because we feel like we need to move him then the likelihood of getting appropriate value diminishes.