Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

I'll be glad when he starts hitting so this crap gets put to bed. 

The Orioles have become a pretty good organization at drafting and developing picks. There's no way that he cruised through the MiL's to rework his swing after less than 2 weeks in the Majors. 

My wife is a psychiatrist so I'm not going to play one here...of course he's overthinking right now. All of that will go away when he gets a game with a hit or two and some hard contact. There's really no benefit to send him down right now. 

6 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

I have a hard time understanding why people are spending the last hours of their weekend writing such long posts on the subject. Ain’t nobody reading all that.

I actually agree with you on that. There's certain people that post long ones that I'll take the time to read...most of the time I just skim by.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Gunnar was a sub 200 hitter in late May last year and had a 6-37 stretch from late April to early May with 11 Ks.

Is that as bad?  No. Is it still awful?  Did he still look overmatched?  Yes he did.

So yes, their sh!t was a better smelling sh!t but it was still garbage…and that was after Gunnar had more ML playing time.

Gunner may have looked over matched, but this is different and you know it, Gunner never ever looked as lost as Holliday does, and thats on both sides of the ball.

2 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

Gunner may have looked over matched, but this is different and you know it, Gunner never ever looked as lost as Holliday does, and thats on both sides of the ball.

I guess you didn't see the play he made in the field today.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, baltfan said:

Yes but you have to get there.  And sometimes sending a guy down does wonders.  There was a guy with the Jays with a similar last name that got sent down to AA and then became a HOF pitcher.  

Think Cowser.

45 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I just want to know if people trust Elias or if he has lost that trust?  

He says the kid hasn’t lost confidence. Do people think Elias is lying?  Do they think Elias would continue to put Holliday in a situation where he could be damaged long term?

Elias is not going to say publicly that Holliday has lost his confidence.  And that’s not h how  I’d put it anyway.  It’s more  that he’s just ovethinking things.  And rookies get sent to the minors all the time to get things reset.  You’re acting like that’s an unusual thing, but you are well aware it happens every day.  Whether Holliday gets another couple of days or another couple of weeks to turn things around is a matter of judgment, but he doesn’t get months at this level.  

Edited by Frobby

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

You're right; that's true.

Also, Gunnar had shown success in 2022 when he was called up and he was still walking regularly in the beginning of 2023. His OPS was no where near as terrible. Gunnar also had a significant amount of more games in AAA than Holiday, even with how fast he was promoted. I don't think it would be accurate to compare Gunnar's developmental path to Holliday's.

Dont forget the Defense

1 hour ago, baltfan said:

Yes but you have to get there.  And sometimes sending a guy down does wonders.  There was a guy with the Jays with a similar last name that got sent down to AA and then became a HOF pitcher.  

So you want to send him down in 2026?  Odd choice.

#Remindme2years

I just don't get the notion that he can't learn anything in AAA, as if he's graduated after dominating for 10 games this year (and not really more than much of the rest of the team at the time), and having a solid 18 AAA games last year. He's had barely more than a month in AAA.

I do think he would eventually right the ship here in MLB, but he can also make the needed adjustments in AAA without hurting the big league team, and get the O's that extra year of control. His odds of winning ROY have gotten a lot lower so I don't think that is much of a factor anymore either.

6 minutes ago, SilverRocket said:

I just don't get the notion that he can't learn anything in AAA, as if he's graduated after dominating for 10 games this year (and not really more than much of the rest of the team at the time), and having a solid 18 AAA games last year. He's had barely more than a month in AAA.

Exactly. And by comparison Gunnar Henderson had 65 games in AAA before getting the call. And once he was up in September 2022, he was doing pretty good batting in the middle of the order and helping the team win 83 games. Anyone saying Jackson Holliday is like Gunnar Henderson is making a mistake.