Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

I can't find any fault with this approach. I will say though, if the issue is we need more productivity/stability from his spot in the order, the easiest fix is Urias (if Holliday is sent down). If we bring up another INF prospect we are likely running the same risk of having another couple of weeks of lower productivity while that player figures things out.

Then we will have posters on here scrutinizing them and saying "we should have just stuck with Holliday because he's killing AAA now." I can see it coming.

If Holliday does go down I think Urias will be playing a lot more at 3B with Westburg shifting back to 2B. I can't see Norby playing everyday at 2B with his defense being a question mark and it might Kjerstad or Stowers who gets called up if Holliday gets sent down.

On Holliday, it will likely work out but there are some warning signs here.  In the minors, he hasn't demonstrated that much power.  Of course, this usually increases, but not always.  His carrying tool has been his hit tool.  That really has been an issue at the MLB level.  It is notable how few balls he fouls off.  MLB pitchers seem not afraid to challenge him at all and he isn't hitting any pitch well.  It's not just a bad with offspeed stuff or can't hit the fastball thing.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

Another good post, and you said it , you have never seen a prospect of his caliber struggle the way he has. But theres history of smart Orgs  Swinging and missing on cant miss 1/1 prospects, and not saying that Holliday will be the next one. Tim Beckman comes   to mind, And from another sport NFL and Steroids were involved but he checked all the boxes as well his name was Tony Mandrich. Just saying another 2 weeks of this and other will be lighting up the skyes of there boards. Sure glad we didn't pick that guy that Baltimore Picked

And then next season, they will be singing a different tune once he adjust. We have seen this same acclimation cycle amongst top prospects repeated too many times in recent seasons to make any declarative statements about his career trajectory after 2 weeks.

What were they saying about Cowser after he struggled last year? Gunnar after his first 2 months? Grayson when his ERA was 8 and we had to send him down?

3 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

If Holliday does go down I think Urias will be playing a lot more at 3B with Westburg shifting back to 2B. I can't see Norby playing everyday at 2B with his defense being a question mark and it might Kjerstad or Stowers who gets called up if Holliday gets sent down.

Where would Kjerstad play? I guess Stowers could be a back up or 5th outfielder? 

4 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I can't find any fault with this approach. I will say though, if the issue is we need more productivity/stability from his spot in the order, the easiest fix is Urias (if Holliday is sent down). If we bring up another INF prospect we are likely running the same risk of having another couple of weeks of lower productivity while that player figures things out.

Then we will have posters on here scrutinizing them and saying "we should have just stuck with Holliday because he's killing AAA now." I can see it coming.

Yeah it would present a weird situation where calling up Mayo or Norby might seem like the obvious decision, but I think it's more likely they would go with Maton or someone they could just sit on the bench. And just play Urias most of the time. I don't know. 

Yeah, now that you guys mention it the 3-2 take of a FB down the middle is very disconcerting

It's like he decided that he couldn't make contact so he was hoping for ball 4

Lack of walks and lack of any solid contact... sure doesn't look like a top prospect so far.

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

Yeah it would present a weird situation where calling up Mayo or Norby might seem like the obvious decision, but I think it's more likely they would go with Maton or someone they could just sit on the bench. And just play Urias most of the time. I don't know. 

I disagree. We are at a point where the competition for spots is thick and any openings need to go to our best prospects in triple A. I don’t see them creating unnecessary road blocks when there are already unavoidable ones on the road. 

I think we will see Norby or Mayo if Holliday is sent down. 

Edited by ChuckS

4 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I disagree. We are at a point where the competition for spots is thick and any openings need to go to our best prospects in triple A. I don’t see them creating unnecessary road blocks when there are already unavoidable ones on the road. 

I think we will see Norby or Mayo if Holliday is sent down. 

I just wonder if they want the lefty. But you could be right. Mayo is the most deserving right now for sure. I worry about his defense, but you do have Urias there as a late inning replacement. 

58 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

1. Not much more really. It's not that I don't think he's going to hit, but no matter who he is and how "cool" he seems to remain, at some point he needs to just relax and get a reset. Every statcast metric showed he was ready for the big leagues but damn, I'm not sure I've ever seen a top prospect come up and get dominated like he has. It has not been pretty in almost anyway. I don't want to see the kid set a futility record and he's got to be close in starting a big league career.

Reminded me a bit of Alex Bregman.

CtzWbxo.png[

2/38 for Bregman, with Holliday at 1/30 so far.  Holliday has struck out more, though.  And, after the first 10 games...

FEN1r4l.png

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

And then next season, they will be singing a different tune once he adjust. We have seen this same acclimation cycle amongst top prospects repeated too many times in recent seasons to make any declarative statements about his career trajectory after 2 weeks.

What were they saying about Cowser after he struggled last year? Gunnar after his first 2 months? Grayson when his ERA was 8 and we had to send him down?

Next Season were talking about this season Cowser and Gunner never struggled like this or Grod for that matter. Difference is  all of those guys adjusted within months (Baseball Time) You're giving Jackson Until next year, if thats the case hes not the number in baseball prospect

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

I just wonder if they want the lefty. But you could be right. Mayo is the most deserving right now for sure. I worry about his defense, but you do have Urias there as a late inning replacement. 

If they aren’t confident in Norby’s defense at second, I would expect them to promote Mayo and move Westburg back to second. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Safelykept said:

Next Season were talking about this season Cowser and Gunner never struggled like this or Grod for that matter. Difference is  all of those guys adjusted within months (Baseball Time) You're giving Jackson Until next year, if thats the case hes not the number in baseball prospect

HA HA ... Cowser went down to AAA last season and didn't come bak until THIS SEASON. And has looked no worse for the wear.

If it takes Holliday going down to get a reset then so be it. You do know that he is much younger and much less experienced than all of our other guys when they made the jump?

So what if he is not "the number 1 prospect in baseball" or whatever you were trying to say there? Let's say he should be #6 or #8. Will that matter in the long run?

The kid will be fine in time and will eventually figure it out.

29 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Yeah, now that you guys mention it the 3-2 take of a FB down the middle is very disconcerting

It's like he decided that he couldn't make contact so he was hoping for ball 4

Lack of walks and lack of any solid contact... sure doesn't look like a top prospect so far.

I think he was guessing something else and just got fooled. It was frustrating that he didn't swing at a hittable pitch though. I would think we're another week or so away from him going back to Norfolk for a bit, if he doesn't show signs of improvement. 

17 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

HA HA ... Cowser went down to AAA last season and didn't come bak until THIS SEASON. And has looked no worse for the wear.

If it takes Holliday going down to get a reset then so be it. You do know that he is much younger and much less experienced than all of our other guys when they made the jump?

So what if he is not "the number 1 prospect in baseball" or whatever you were trying to say there? Let's say he should be #6 or #8. Will that matter in the long run?

The kid will be fine in time and will eventually figure it out.

If Holliday gets sent down this year, I think there's a very good chance he stays down until September roster expansion. At that time I think he'd be a bench guy to just continue to get more comfortable, maybe grab a couple ABs here and there. Probably doesn't make playoff rosters, and then you just try it all again next season. 

And that's totally normal and fine and justifiable. Either way, I'm glad Elias gave him his full shot this year, earlier than we expected. Hasn't worked out, but it was the right move. 

Edited by interloper

I think a big part of Holliday's struggles that nobody has really mentioned is all the hype. The kid's got to be really pressing at this point with everyone looking at him and wondering what's going on even if he's not really showing it. He obviously has dominated at every level of the minors but I think just getting away from all the eyeballs at the major league level will help him immensely. G-Rod had nothing to prove in the minors but you saw the difference when he came back. Same with Cowser. 

• Upvote 2