Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

2 hours ago, murph said:

Tennis players almost never tear their UCL.   Even Nadal with his unorthodox explosive swing never had elbow problems.   Bryan Baker (no, not our Bryan) is the only one I remember and can find documented.  

I do wish the O’s were more forthcoming with minor league injuries but it may be we will never know what is the issue and he just ends up back on the field playing full time without explanation.    Hoping so and sooner than later. 

I played tennis all through middle school, HS, and college and into my adult life.  So  30 years at least? It is the serve that kills you.   Not ground strokes.  Especially if you put heavy spin on the serve with a strong western grip.  Pretty much feels the same as trying to throw a baseball with spin. 

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s not strange at all. They brought him back quickly off the IL because they felt he could hit. He has sat twice since bringing him back…day games after a night game.

When he was playing in the field, he was getting a day off every week as well.

So, they are giving him an extra day off as he recovers from an injury..being extra cautious with him.

I don’t think that’s strange at all.

If he needed TJ surgery, they wouldn’t have brought him back and it’s not likely his elbow has gone from tendonitis to a torn ligament in a weeks time (ie, it’s not likely to have gotten that much worse)

I had tennis elbow and couldn’t lift anything heavier than a cell phone without having a lot of pain and ended up having to get 3 cortisone injections for it to be ok.

Suffice it to say, if this is what he’s experiencing, he likely couldn’t lift a bat, much less get hits.

They are essentially letting him rehab while playing, which indicates to me their intention of having him up this year.

I guess I either misinterpreted RZNjs post or he was looking at the wrong days.

I show him playing last night the 29th.  Went 0 for 4. 

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

2 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

That was exactly my point in asking the question. People think his first stretch in MLB determines who he will be going forward. That sample size is ridiculously small.

I don't have any issue with guys going 0 for whatever.  I just thought he looked completely overmatched.  As in he could barely make contact. 

50 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I played tennis all through middle school, HS, and college and into my adult life.  So  30 years at least? It is the serve that kills you.   Not ground strokes.  Especially if you put heavy spin on the serve with a strong western grip.  Pretty much feels the same as trying to throw a baseball with spin. 

Played longer.   That’s not my experience.   And regardless of the two of us amateurs, ucl tears just almost never happen for tennis players.  Not saying it’s impossible just highly improbable and probably not a viable comparison.   

8 minutes ago, murph said:

Played longer.   That’s not my experience.   And regardless of the two of us amateurs, ucl tears just almost never happen for tennis players.  Not saying it’s impossible just highly improbable and probably not a viable comparison.   

But were you a tennis player and elite bowler?  That is a lot of stress on the elbow. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, murph said:

Well I guess it means at what extreme and level did you play?  Did you play competitively or recreationaly?  I used to play 5 hours a day 200 days a year from the time I was a kid until I graduated college.   We would just go to the courts as a kid in the siummer and spend all day there for example 

Our HS team used to practice all summer and winter indoors at Midland Tennis club, and then when I played at a Big 10 U we would practice from 2 until 6 or 7 PM pretty much every day. 

There is a reason why the term tennis elbow is a thing.  It's hard on that part of the body.

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

But were you a tennis player and elite bowler?  That is a lot of stress on the elbow. 

Bowling does not hurt the elbow too much.

I did fracture my thumb last month (not major) so I have gone from a one handed style to 2 handed style until that heals.  With 2 hands you don't need a thumb hole. 

1 hour ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I guess I either misinterpreted RZNjs post or he was looking at the wrong days.

I show him playing last night the 29th.  Went 0 for 4. 

No.  My bad.  I guess I checked his game logs this morning before they updated to include last nights game.

1 hour ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Well I guess it means at what extreme and level did you play?    

No if doesn’t.   Our combined rec play (unless your pro it’s rec) is meaningless.    The point is tennis players mechanics are absolutely nothing like throwing a baseball.  Especially a pitcher.  

I’m hoping whatever is the issue is minor and we see Jackson back up sometime this year.