Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

2 hours ago, Hallas said:

While Adley is a valid data point, he had extenuating circumstances, and I still think Gunnar doesn't really qualify.  If you shifted Gunnar's stats from August/September 2022 to April 2023 and shifted the rest of his stats forward, then his slump would look like any old midseason slump.  A lot of players go through months where they OPS less than .700.  A lot of starters, especially shortstops struggle to have months where they OPS more than .700.  It doesn't seem noteworthy or indicative of rookie lumps.  If you combine his September 2022 stats with his April 2023 stats he was still an above-average hitter playing good defense at a premium defensive position.  Even during his slump, he was an overall average-player because of his position and defense, and he was 21.  A guy who I would more associate with rookie lumps would be Anthony Volpe; Gunnar's wRC+ in April was better than Volpe's full-season wRC+.

Gunnar still had a pretty good OBP as well during that time.  It's been awhile but I seem to remember some loud outs as well during that time.  

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t see them bringing Holliday up for spot duty, so there would need to be a spot where they think he’d be a significant upgrade in the short term.  That’s why I made my remark about Mateo.  Now, they could jettison Urias, bring up Holliday and return Mateo to platoon status even if he’s not slumping.  But that probably prevents a Mayo call-up once he’s healthy, so the O’s may be in no hurry on that.  

When I look at a Manny M, who was brought up at the same age as JH, I see a much more athletic, mature, much better player at that age.   When he was brought up he provided an immediate spark and was the Os best player almost from the get go.    I don't get feel with JH.  He looked over matched.  Which is fine.  Most players at that age are in the Majors.

I would give him almost all this year at AAA and maybe even early next year. 

5 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Holliday is 2 for his last 34. He’s not going to a game in Baltimore for a while unless he buys a ticket. 

2 for his last 34 in MLB.   If he made certain adjustments and got hot he could get back sooner rather than later but it doesn’t look too promising right now.

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

2 for his last 34 in MLB.   If he made certain adjustments and got hot he could get back sooner rather than later but it doesn’t look too promising right now.

You’re right. I was looking at his minor league page on MiLB and didn’t realize the recent splits were actually MLB stats. 

1 minute ago, Ohfan67 said:

You’re right. I was looking at his minor league page on MiLB and didn’t realize the recent splits were actually MLB stats. 

It's easy to get fooled the way the MiLB page does that. You'd think it'd just show his minors stats. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

It's easy to get fooled the way the MiLB page does that. You'd think it'd just show his minors stats. 

He is 10 for his last 49 at bats at Norfold for a .204 batting average at AAA.  He is not exactly tearing things up.

• Upvote 1

Jackson’s had a tough week but overall his metrics still look very strong across the board.

He has only shown two real weaknesses in AAA.  First, a 33% whiff rate against pitches 95 mph or higher vs AAA average of 26%. Second, a 50% ground ball rate vs  AAA average of 43%.

I think Elias will prioritize Holliday looking good against high velocity as a prerequisite for a call-up.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

He is 10 for his last 49 at bats at Norfold for a .204 batting average at AAA.  He is not exactly tearing things up.

Right.  I don’t think the Orioles are clamoring for him at the moment.  

19 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

Jackson’s had a tough week but overall his metrics still look very strong across the board.

He has only shown two real weaknesses in AAA.  First, a 33% whiff rate against pitches 95 mph or higher vs AAA average of 26%. Second, a 50% ground ball rate vs  AAA average of 43%.

I think Elias will prioritize Holliday looking good against high velocity as a prerequisite for a call-up.

I’d like to see him get back to basics and start going to LF more and let the power come naturally.   Somewhere along the line I think he started selling out for more power and it led to a lot of bad habits.  The exaggerated leg kick, opening up to soon,  rolling over pitches and pull grounders to 2B, not covering the plate, etc.

There is 2023 video of him employing a more normal leg lift or none at all, being more direct to the pitcher, and driving a lot of balls to LF.   I haven’t seen that hitter this year in MLB or at Norfolk.   He changed his stance a little and modified the leg kick since he went down.  Hopefully, he stops trying to be Gunnar Henderson and gets back to being Jackson Holliday.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, survivedc said:

I’ve got him 14 for 51 or 13 for 38 which is over his last 12 or 13 games and as close to 49 AB’s as you can get counting full games. 

Since May 1 I have him 16 for 64.   .250.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I’d like to see him get back to basics and start going to LF more and let the power come naturally.   Somewhere along the line I think he started selling out for more power and it led to a lot of bad habits.  The exaggerated leg kick, opening up to soon,  rolling over pitches and pull grounders to 2B, not covering the plate, etc.

There is 2023 video of him employing a more normal leg lift or none at all, being more direct to the pitcher, and driving a lot of balls to LF.   I haven’t seen that hitter this year in MLB or at Norfolk.   He changed his stance a little and modified the leg kick since he went down.  Hopefully, he stops trying to be Gunnar Henderson and gets back to being Jackson Holliday.

Really well said and agree on all.  I too noticed the right leg almost always going to first base as he overswung (really I noticed it his first spring training game) compared to striding more straight towards the pitcher.