What Service Time Manipulation Gives Us

Gofannon

Trying to tame my frustration.  It makes sense short term and long term for the team as long as the opening day team can hold their own the first half and the better replacements come in at the second half. I don’t like it, but I guess I get it. I should just be glad that players like Westburg or Cowser are not even really thought about much because they have players like Rutschman, Henderson, Holliday, Basillo and Mayo. Not that long ago we would be drooling over the potential of Westburg and Cowser who may very well be serviceable good players for years to come. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I thought it’s more than 15 games now. I remember Rutchman coming up end of May just to be safe. I imagine they gave them the defensive talk and we will see them soon.

Rutschman was injured during spring training and had to work his way back into shape.

I don't like the optics of it, all for an extra year in 2030. I also think you should show good will to your future stars, it may pay off in the future. I know it's a business, and they know it's a business. But there's good will in business, too. It too makes business sense.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sevastras said:

Trying to tame my frustration.  It makes sense short term and long term for the team as long as the opening day team can hold their own the first half and the better replacements come in at the second half. I don’t like it, but I guess I get it. I should just be glad that players like Westburg or Cowser are not even really thought about much because they have players like Rutschman, Henderson, Holliday, Basillo and Mayo. Not that long ago we would be drooling over the potential of Westburg and Cowser who may very well be serviceable good players for years to come. 

This! I feel the same way. 

55 minutes ago, sevastras said:

To think that you just named 7 top position players and didn't even mention Kjerstad, a former top 2 pick who had a great year in the minors last year.  Five years ago his picture would be all over the O's website and we'd be screaming for him.  And Stowers.  And Norby.

So, do I understand that the Orioles actually don’t want Holliday, or any Oriole, to win ROY? Or come in second?
Instead of incentivizing bringing a player up, it actually handicaps his chances of being promoted when he should be?

If that’s the case, I am perplexed.

Our goal is to win a World Series, and not control a player for an extra flipping year. 

5 minutes ago, Philip said:

So, do I understand that the Orioles actually don’t want Holliday, or any Oriole, to win ROY? Or come in second?
Instead of incentivizing bringing a player up, it actually handicaps his chances of being promoted when he should be?

If that’s the case, I am perplexed.

Our goal is to win a World Series, and not control a player for an extra flipping year. 

Our goal as fans is to win the World Series.

That might not be the primary goal of the organization.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Our goal as fans is to win the World Series.

That might not be the primary goal of the organization.

My opinion is, Elias does not believe that having Holliday on the team at the beginning of this season is likely to lead to more wins than if he isn’t on the team.  Simple as that.   

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

My opinion is, Elias does not believe that having Holliday on the team at the beginning of this season is likely to lead to more wins than if he isn’t on the team.  Simple as that.   

I think having the best team this year isn’t his primary goal. This team, even without Holliday, is terrific, especially compared to the damaged teams in the East.

Based on what he’s done( except for inexplicable moves like Jesus Aguilar, Brett Phillips and Frazier) he seems to want to average the quality over as many years as possible, hence his unwillingness to maximize this years team at the expense of future teams.

He thinks the team as is will win the East( which, given the vagaries of the tournament, is the main goal)even without a full season of Mayo/Holliday/ Stowers/Etc and the 2030 team will be better for their presence.
And he doesn’t give a flip about awards that increase the price of players.

That would also explain why Elias won’t trade an asset for less than perceived max value. He’s happy to keep them for future use if he doesn’t get full price.

22 hours ago, waroriole said:

It makes sense to get the extra year. It doesn’t make sense to proclaim Holliday has a chance to make the team, unprompted, and then send him to Norfolk after he has a great spring. Just an unforced error. 

I don’t get why so many are making such a big deal about this. It’s completely meaningless.

15 hours ago, Philip said:

Lucky for us, the World Series is played in October, not April or early May.  Holliday will arguably be on the team by then and have enough at bats at the major league level to make a difference if he's as good as we hope.  That Carter guy for the Rangers had very few ML at bats, and he raked in the post season.  But I can see it now, if we bring Holliday up in May or early June, and he doesn't perform in the postseason (assuming we get there), many on here will think it's because we held him back.  And in reality, that just won't be true.

And, if we don't make it to the post season, many will believe it was because Jackson Holliday wasn't on the opening day roster.

Book it.