Teheran opts out

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

True, but hard to believe a player who is 0 for spring, and despite some good plays, has looked shaky at 3B and SS, makes it.

If the intent is to outright Maton to AAA, then the optimal strategy would be to wait until the roster deadline to DFA so that other teams have less time to fit him on their rosters and commit to other utility infielders.  This would also apply to Nevin and McKenna.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Since the final spot does not involve a prospect, I think it might just come down to Elias letting Hyde take who he prefers at this point and if that's the case, it'll be McKenna.

I think you could be right, and that frustrates me. I think we've seen everything we're going to see from McKenna, and his value is so much tilted towards defense. 

Stowers and Kjerstad may not have the defensive strength and flexibility of McKenna, but my guess is that we would get more aggregate WAR out of them.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He’s RH and all the positions he plays has a RH hitter there.  He doesn’t add anything defensively or with speed.   I think it’s McKenna over Nevin.

I hope so (how sad is that to say) but if Hyder has any say it’ll be Nevin. 

1 minute ago, waroriole said:

I hope so (how sad is that to say) but if Hyder has any say it’ll be Nevin. 

Hyde doesn’t like McKenna too?   Could have fooled me.

Edited by RZNJ

I think Nevin is insurance if a shock trade from the top of the deck occurs but I really hope it'll be McKenna if it comes down to those two.

Arms, I think McDermott showed enough for a short-term fill in if Cole Irvin is bad or anyone wobbles before we see how Means and Bradish progress.

SP5 bullpen game with Akin, Suarez, McDermott, etc. is livable if one or two of the break camp 13 go to the injured list in April.

14 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

True, but hard to believe a player who is 0 for spring, and despite some good plays, has looked shaky at 3B and SS, makes it.

I sure would be very disappointed if Maton and or Nevin makes the team. We don't need those Out making players!!

The release of Wong also leaves open the possibility that Elias is considering promoting Holliday for the Boston series if he gets off to a strong start and makes adjustments to address his challenges vs. lefties.  

Elias has emphasized how much matchups in early games are influencing roster decisions.  We are likely to face at least three left starters in first nine games.  Holliday would likely sit and, thus, wouldn’t have the opportunity to implement needed adjustments vs lefties.

This approach would give Jackson about 9 games with Tides to refine his Second Base skills.  He’d likely face lefties Jacob Lopez and Mason Montgomery (or Joe Rock) in first two games vs Durham.  Then vs Charlotte he would likely face lefties Jake Eder and Jared Shuster.  This, four of Tides first eight games will likely be vs lefty starters.

If we promote Holliday by April 11, he’ll earn a full year of service time and qualify for the Prospect Promotion Incentive.  We would earn a pick if Holliday wins AL Rookie of the Year in 2024, or finishes in top 3 of AL MVP voting in 2024, 2025, or 2026.

Holding on to Wong doesn’t make a lot of sense if Holliday’s optional assignment is relatively short.  We face a lot of lefties early and we’ll lose Wong whenever Holliday is promoted.  

However, if plan is to keep Holliday down past super two in early June then releasing Wong is a curious move.  Elias has a strong preference to have righty and lefty options at all positions.  Urias isn’t a big splits guy and we’d potentially have Maton (if he makes it through waivers) and Vavra (once healed) with the Tides, but I’d be very surprised if Elias was comfortable with this setup for an extended period.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Since the final spot does not involve a prospect, I think it might just come down to Elias letting Hyde take who he prefers at this point and if that's the case, it'll be McKenna.

Zero chance Elias lets Hyde make the decision.  Elias and Sig's computer make the call.

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

Because we have no starters behind Irvin who are major league ready.

I seriously doubt Teheran will provide any quality as a starting pitcher. I'd rather throw McDermott or Povich to the wolves. At least they have upside.

Teheran would be nice to have in AAA, but I'm sure he's going to try and see where the best opportunity is for him to start in the big leagues this year. He's pitched ok, but yeah, that stuff was going to struggle against the AL East lineups if you ask me.

It seems pretty clear to me now that both acquisitions were in case of spring training injury.  We delightfully stayed mostly healthy all spring (with Bradish coming along as well as he has, and Means just a ruse to save his innings for the postseason IMO), so that made them less necessary - even unnecessary. 

I will say that after watching Teheran yesterday, I'm really bummed they chose Irvin over him. 

3 minutes ago, justD said:

It seems pretty clear to me now that both acquisitions were in case of spring training injury.  We delightfully stayed mostly healthy all spring (with Bradish coming along as well as he has, and Means just a ruse to save his innings for the postseason IMO), so that made them less necessary - even unnecessary. 

I will say that after watching Teheran yesterday, I'm really bummed they chose Irvin over him. 

This is just recency bias. Irvin was always going to make the team. He's left-handed and has better stuff than Teheran. He performed well in the 2nd half of last year. Irvin stinking it up in a couple of spring outings doesn't matter.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, dystopia said:

This is just recency bias. Irvin was always going to make the team. He's left-handed and has better stuff than Teheran. He performed well in the 2nd half of last year. Irvin stinking it up in a couple of spring outings doesn't matter.

I prefer not to have anyone tell me what's motivating my opinions.  

My preference of Teheran over Irvin is based on my own distaste for Irvin, never have liked him and unless he changes significantly, never will.  Based on what I've seen of him over the past seasons. 

Does my opinion not match yours?  Fine, but please refrain from telling me why I feel the way I do. 

• Upvote 1