Right Handed DH vs Lefties

2 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

Why would you get rid of Mateo instead of Kemp?

Maybe your record of having your assumptions and what seem like reasonable inferences about the Orioles' roster decisions pan out is better than mine. It could hardly be worse. I'm not assuming anything about Holliday beyond that he'll be an Oriole this season (and that human and non-human spellers will on ocassion leave an "l" out of his name). I also think there's a chance that a team with IF injuries would give up something in a trade for Mateo. 

51 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Maybe your record of having your assumptions and what seem like reasonable inferences about the Orioles' roster decisions pan out is better than mine. It could hardly be worse. I'm not assuming anything about Holliday beyond that he'll be an Oriole this season (and that human and non-human spellers will on ocassion leave an "l" out of his name). I also think there's a chance that a team with IF injuries would give up something in a trade for Mateo. 

I am not sure I agree we will get anything for Mateo.  I think if he held any real value to other teams he would already be gone.  I also don't think that continuing to not field your best 26 hoping to get something of value for Mateo or Urias makes sense anymore.  We a clearly a bat short against LH starters.  I guess you can continue to DH Adley and let McCann catch or DH Westburg and have Mateo play 2nd.  I just don't think that is good roster construction when you have a player with 647 AAA at bats who had an OPS of .842 last year and is at 1.205 this year, is righthanded and would help fill a need blocked by a player who has clearly been a placeholder for two years.  The question is who is the best DH against a LH starter and to me that is Norby.

Edited by The Goob

6 hours ago, The Goob said:

I am not sure I agree we will get anything for Mateo.  I think if he held any real value to other teams he would already be gone.  I also don't think that continuing to not field your best 26 hoping to get something of value for Mateo or Urias makes sense anymore.  We a clearly a bat short against LH starters.  I guess you can continue to DH Adley and let McCann catch or DH Westburg and have Mateo play 2nd.  I just don't think that is good roster construction when you have a player with 647 AAA at bats who had an OPS of .842 last year and is at 1.205 this year, is righthanded and would help fill a need blocked by a player who has clearly been a placeholder for two years.  The question is who is the best DH against a LH starter and to me that is Norby.

I agree, just don't see why you would keep Kemp over Mateo, if you would.

22 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

It would also be nice to let our young players get shots against lefties so they can learn to hit lefties…especially when you say minor leaguers don’t see enough good lefty pitching.

The hypocrisy of how they go about this is maddening.

I am 💯 certain this is done intentionally to mess with your head. I feel like I heard Elias say it once. Something like:

“We want to do all of the smart things to build not just a winner for now but a club that can win in the future as well. If we can do that and also really mess with fans like Sports Guy, well that’s just a bonus.”

13 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

Why would you get rid of Mateo instead of Kemp?

Yeah it seems like Mateo's job is safer than Urias' right now and certainly safer than Kemp's.  If Norby is promoted before Holliday then maybe Kemp stays a little while longer since he's a lefty (same as Holliday while Norby is a righty).  

Before the season started I would have thought Urias' job would be safer than Mateo's because Urias can play third.  But Mateo has shown more since the season began.  

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

People forget that we played Hicks in CF a lot last year vs LHP. 

Drop Gunnar to 6th. 

Mckenna replaces Kemp and plays CF vs LHP. 

McKenna had a .638 OPS vs LHP last season