2024 Ongoing Lineup Thread

spleen1015

7 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

Seems to be an assumption there in the bolded, no? 

*Edited my post above, I had wrote it wrong, but I think you got what I meant to say. 

Anyways, like I say, I don't have much of an opinion on whether McCann is playing too much...I tend to think that if Adley is performing and it's working, then it's probably worth it, and as you can see above, I tend to give the benefit of the doubt to people who have far more information relevant to a decision than we do. 

My issue was with the critique that McCann shouldn't play against lefties...that that supposedly makes no sense. And I think I have explained why I certainly understand if they don't agree with that critique of yours (in short: 5x bigger sample with a strongly positive vs. LHP split, overall career splits of a strongly positive vs. LHP split). 

Yea, I think it’s foolish to look at old numbers (which 3 years ago are “old”) for a player that is now out of his prime and declining just makes no sense.

Those numbers just aren’t relevant at this point in his career.

35 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea, I think it’s foolish to look at old numbers (which 3 years ago are “old”) for a player that is now out of his prime and declining just makes no sense.

Those numbers just aren’t relevant at this point in his career.

It's his whole career. Like I said, unless your hypothesis is that as he has grown older his ability to hit LHP has seen itself far more affected than his ability to hit RHP, I don't really see how you make the case that his last 515 PA's somehow outweigh--especially in something like splits which we know is highly volatile and the bigger the sample the better--the first 2657. 

Just seems a very weird argument to make. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

It's his whole career. Like I said, unless your hypothesis is that as he has grown older his ability to hit LHP has seen itself far more affected than his ability to hit RHP, I don't really see how you make the case that his last 515 PA's somehow outweigh--especially in something like splits which we know is highly volatile and the bigger the sample the better--the first 2657. 

So you think players in their 30s with poor numbers are the same player they were in their 20s with better players?

You don’t think age catches up with players? You think players are the same their whole career? That they don’t get worse?  Father Time is just a myth?

5 hours ago, RZNJ said:

If he goes 0-4 with 2 strikeouts and swings at pitches a foot off the plate, he’s fighting through the pain.  If he gets a couple of hits he’s feeling better.

What if he gets three, two of which are 106.8 and 109.9 mph.  Can we assume he’s feeling okay?  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

What if he gets three, two of which are 106.8 and 109.9 mph.  Can we assume he’s feeling okay?  

I think that’s safe.  Let’s see how long he can avoid the next nagging injury.

39 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So you think players in their 30s with poor numbers are the same player they were in their 20s with better players?

You don’t think age catches up with players? You think players are the same their whole career? That they don’t get worse?  Father Time is just a myth?

I don't think any of that. I just think that the hypothesis that your argument necessarily brings forth is strange and unlikely. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Flash- bd said:

I don't think any of that. I just think that the hypothesis that your argument necessarily brings forth is strange and unlikely. 

So you believe that players get worse as they get older but you think it’s strange that I’m saying he’s gotten worse as he’s gotten older?

Sure, makes perfect sense.  

44 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So you believe that players get worse as they get older but you think it’s strange that I’m saying he’s gotten worse as he’s gotten older?

Sure, makes perfect sense.  

No, what I think is I say below, but you know that, and this is getting tiring. 

8 hours ago, Flash- bd said:

22 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

No, what I think is I say below, but you know that, and this is getting tiring. 

But you are saying the same thing.

McCann’s data set from 2017-2019 isn’t relevant to today.  In any conversation like this, the most recent data is the data that matters the most and that’s especially true when you are talking about a player that is well past his prime and clearly a worse version of himself now than he was 4-8 years ago.

Your argument is seemingly that since he hit lefties well years ago that the team is justified in playing him vs lefties now even though the most recent sample size over a multi year period says that’s no longer true.

22 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

I do not want to ever see McCann starting a playoff game. They need to find a DH to hit vs lefties and Burnes can suck it up and use Adley 

With all the days off in the post season, unless Adley is injured he will probably catch all of them. Doubt Burnes would a big deal of even if it was not a playoff game. You'll have an extra bench player in the post season, so by then it could in addition to Santander it could be Norby Mayo Westburgh Etc

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

But you are saying the same thing.

McCann’s data set from 2017-2019 isn’t relevant to today.  In any conversation like this, the most recent data is the data that matters the most and that’s especially true when you are talking about a player that is well past his prime and clearly a worse version of himself now than he was 4-8 years ago.

Your argument is seemingly that since he hit lefties well years ago that the team is justified in playing him vs lefties now even though the most recent sample size over a multi year period says that’s no longer true.

I see it as the justification is not what he did 2017-2019 so much as Adley needs a couple of days off a week, so it might as well be against a Left Hander