Corbin Burnes 2024

Spy Fox

If I'm reading this correctly, the Orioles are 6th in defensive value this year and the White Sox are dead last by a lot: to date, they're at -54 runs; the worst team in baseball for all of '23 was -72 (https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/team_compare.cgi?request=1&year=2024&lg=MLB&stat=runs_fielding). So the difference between Burnes and Fedde must be the defensive adjustment.

FWIW, fWAR using FIP has them even at 2.0 WAR apiece; using RA9 Burnes is ahead 2.9 to 2.4.

13 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

This guy is money, anyone that doesn’t think we should sign him is nuts. Mr Rubbenstein should ask him to write his number on a piece of paper and as long as it isn’t absurd it should get done.

Totally agree! He is like Mussina, or Roy Holladay....consistent and rubber-armed. We can only hope he loves it here and sees lots of 20 win season opportunities with this young core. 

14 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Best pitcher since Mussina. 

His Orioles legacy will come down to how he performs in the playoffs.  

Best pitcher in Baltimore since Mussina is exactly how I explained the Burnes trade to my Orioles-following, but less so all-of-MLB-following parents.

He's certainly upholding his end of the bargain. 10 straight quality starts now.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, gamiliel said:

Totally agree! He is like Mussina, or Roy Holladay....consistent and rubber-armed. We can only hope he loves it here and sees lots of 20 win season opportunities with this young core. 

He may love it here. Why wouldn't he?

But it's most likely coming down to who ponies up the most coin. I can't see him getting to this point and then taking some sort of discount.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

New “Cy Young” Favorite*. Pay him. 

Yup. Pay the man. He was the biggest extension priority coming into the season and it’s even more so now. Going into the off-season with just Grayson and Dean would be a travesty. I was advocating making Dean the 6th man and Irvin the 7th man to start the year! 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Matt Bennett said:

Yup. Pay the man. He was the biggest extension priority coming into the season and it’s even more so now. Going into the off-season with just Grayson and Dean would be a travesty. I was advocating making Dean the 6th man and Irvin the 7th man to start the year! 

Burnes said when he was traded that his priority was going to free agency (i.e. He wasn’t interest in doing a contract extension that close to being a free agent.) You have to think for a pitcher of his caliber it is a dream scenario to be healthy, be coming off of a great season, and then hit the open market.

Also, Angelos was still in control of the team during last offseason, so there was absolutely no way that an extension was even on the table from the org. John Angelos scoffed at the idea of the org doing bigger contract extension the offseason prior when Adley was brought to him by the press.

Having said all that, I agree that if we can get him to sign a 6-7 year deal I would go all out to bid on him. Because it is very unlikely that we will ever find a pitcher as good during the Adley/Gunnar years. AND we are not currently paying ANYONE. 

Unlike many fans/posters on this board, I am very uninterested in the org saving money/going cheap, counting the players money while trying to save the owner/billionaire’s money.

• Upvote 1

I think Burnes loves being here.  Hyde and Elias are also doing right by him with load management, which also helps us for the playoffs.  

His 97 mph cutter might be the best pitch in baseball.  I'm sure he likes the WALL too and our young core of position players.  IF we offer him fair market value then he stays here.  

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think Burnes loves being here.  Hyde and Elias are also doing right by him with load management, which also helps us for the playoffs.  

His 97 mph cutter might be the best pitch in baseball.  I'm sure he likes the WALL too and our young core of position players.  IF we offer him fair market value then he stays here.  

He will go through free agency.  He has been clear about that.   Once he hits the market a fair market value deal will not happen.   He will get much more than fair value as the bid increase to get him to sign.