2024 Prospect Power Rankings

Tony-OH

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Convo with some of these about Mordan before the season started.  Skepticism for sure but things they liked:

Is this the same clown who said only 4 players in the entire minor leagues project as 20/20 players and one of them is our own 19 year old Eli’s Cuevas in the FCL.

Before you repost something as dumb as that don’t you ask the simple question “Does that make sense?”

Some guy calls himself an expert and some people go hook, line, and sinker with no questions asked.  Internally or Externally.   

Twitter seems like it’s for twits.

43 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Convo with some of these about Mordan before the season started.  Skepticism for sure but things they liked:

I listened to this with an open mind, but they really didn’t seem to know anything more about Mordan than you or me, and certainly less than @Tony-OH.   

50 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

@Tony-OH

You have to watch this podcast.  It’s cringe-worthy.  It’s from October 2023 and the one guy, who can barely express himself, is clearly just reading from Mordan’s BRef page.   No Statcast.  No batted ball metrics.   They, or someone they are citing, gives him a 75 power grade.   It’s almost lol funny but I can’t believe someone would actually watch these two guys more than once.  It’s unlistenable.    Check it out.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Updated now through the top 40. Don't get too caught up in who is better from 31-40 though. That's more for fun purposes of following the young guys and a few guys just off the top 30.

Did I miss anyone in the "players to watch"? Anyone you're following that is not on the list?

Don’t laugh.  Reed Trimble.  17 games.  62 PA at Aberdeen.  .893 OPS.  11 walks to 8 K.  5 doubles, 1 triple, 1 homer.  9 for 9 in steals.   He’s 24 and always injured but he’s showing signs.

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Don’t laugh.  Reed Trimble.  17 games.  62 PA at Aberdeen.  .893 OPS.  11 walks to 8 K.  5 doubles, 1 triple, 1 homer.  9 for 9 in steals.   He’s 24 and always injured but he’s showing signs.

Yeah, he's been so hard to judge because he's literally been hurt almost his whole career. If he keeps it up though he could go on the players to watch. Nice to see him doing well. He clearly will need to go on the Servideo promotion schedule which is sink or swim at AA soon.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

@Tony-OH

You have to watch this podcast.  It’s cringe-worthy.  It’s from October 2023 and the one guy, who can barely express himself, is clearly just reading from Mordan’s BRef page.   No Statcast.  No batted ball metrics.   They, or someone they are citing, gives him a 75 power grade.   It’s almost lol funny but I can’t believe someone would actually watch these two guys more than once.  It’s unlistenable.    Check it out.

Sounds like something I would not watch. Most of these guys out there that are trying to do all organizations don't have the time to really know much more than what they can read off baseball reference or Fan Graphs. I mean, if somebody seems to have access to statcast info besides when we're lucky enough to get the announcers to give it to us on occasion, I'm certainly willing to receive any information I can get.

@Sports Guy and a few others do a good job of just bringing addition content from X in here for conversation. I have zero issues with it although I also agree that it should be timely and pertinent information. 

Now I do agree with you that some folks weigh that stuff a little more heavily than others, and that's there right. I mean, SG clearly asked me why I think I'm more informed then these guys. I just kinda laughed that one off because I don't feel any need to give my credentials out on here. Everyone knows my background, but people are free to pick and choose who they think the experts are. 

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Sounds like something I would not watch. Most of these guys out there that are trying to do all organizations don't have the time to really know much more than what they can read off baseball reference or Fan Graphs. I mean, if somebody seems to have access to statcast info besides when we're lucky enough to get the announcers to give it to us on occasion, I'm certainly willing to receive any information I can get.

@Sports Guy and a few others do a good job of just bringing addition content from X in here for conversation. I have zero issues with it although I also agree that it should be timely and pertinent information. 

Now I do agree with you that some folks weigh that stuff a little more heavily than others, and that's there right. I mean, SG clearly asked me why I think I'm more informed then these guys. I just kinda laughed that one off because I don't feel any need to give my credentials out on here. Everyone knows my background, but people are free to pick and choose who they think the experts are. 

Actually what I clearly asked you is how do you know those guys don’t have similar credentials as you?  

Like I said, I tend to doubt they scout these guys and I doubt they talk to scouts of other teams. Most of them seem to be model and data driven guys and that obviously doesn’t tell the whole story.

But I can’t say that for sure.

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Updated now through the top 40. Don't get too caught up in who is better from 31-40 though. That's more for fun purposes of following the young guys and a few guys just off the top 30.

Did I miss anyone in the "players to watch"? Anyone you're following that is not on the list?

Good job.  I think you successfully captured everyone's pet Dominican League catcher.  Koby Perez is doing great work down there.  

• Thanks 1

Love seeing all this new blood entering the list at 40 and above! Especially the newest .400 hitter on my (otherwise uninformed) radar, SS Elvin Garcia of DSL Black, age 17. :)

Edited by now

I'll post this here in lieu of some other thread, but my personal pref list is Mayo/Basallo in some order, followed by Holliday.

I know Holliday is very young and has great plate discipline, but I don't think his defense offers a ton of value (e.g., he's really not a SS, certainly not a plus one), his speed is average and his power profile pales in comparison to the other two. 

I love that we have him, but I love that we have the other two even more. 

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

I'll post this here in lieu of some other thread, but my personal pref list is Mayo/Basallo in some order, followed by Holliday.

I know Holliday is very young and has great plate discipline, but I don't think his defense offers a ton of value (e.g., he's really not a SS, certainly not a plus one), his speed is average and his power profile pales in comparison to the other two. 

I love that we have him, but I love that we have the other two even more. 

Holliday definitely has above average speed.

On 3/29/2024 at 8:43 PM, Tony-OH said:

These "power rankings" are a fun way to track prospects throughout the year. They are not "official" prospect rankings that are completed at the end of the year after a full evaluations. To be eligible for the list, a player must play at least one game on an active roster. (Updated as of Jun 24th) 

RK Name POS Prev   Team
1 Jackson Holliday SS 1   Nor (AAA)
2 Samuel Basallo C 2   BOW (AA)
3 Coby Mayo 3B/RF 3   Nor (AAA)
4 Heston Kjerstad RF/1B 4   Nor (AAA)
5 Cade Povich LHP 5   Baltimore
6 Chayce McDermott RHP 7   Nor (AAA)
7 Dylan Beavers OF 6   BOW (AA)
8 Enrique Bradfield Jr. CF 8   ABN (A+)
9 Luis DeLeon LHP 9   ABN (A+)
10 Connor Norby 2B 10   Nor (AAA)
11 Jackson Baumeister  RHP 11   ABN (A+)
12 Michael Forret RHP 12   ABN (A+)
13 Leandro Arias SS 13   DEL (A)
14 Joshua Liranzo 3B New   FCL O's
15 Mac Horvath 2B/3B 14   ABN (A+)
16 Thomas Sosa OF 15   DEL (A)
17 Matthew Etzel OF 16   BOW (AA)
18 Seth Johnson RHP 17   BOW (AA)
19 Trace Bright RHP 18   BOW (AA)
20 Brandon Young RHP 19   Nor (AAA)
21 Luis Almeyda SS 24   FCL O's
22 Emilio Sanchez SS 25   DSL Orange
23 Cameron Weston RHP 20   BOW (AA)
24 Jud Fabian OF 23   BOW (AA)
25 Aron Estrada INF/OF 30   DEL (A)
26 Edgar Portes RHP 21   ABN (A+)
27 Braylin Tavera CF 22   DEL (A)
28 Creed Willems C 26   ABN (A+)
29 Billy Cook INF/OF 29   Nor (AAA)
30 Jordan Sanchez CF New   DSL Orange
31 Moises Chace RHP UR   ABN (A+)
32 Yaqui Rivera RHP UR   ABN (A+)
33 Stiven Acevedo OF UR   DEL (A)
34 Miguel Rodriguez C New   FCL O's
35 Elis Cuevas IF/OF New   FCL O's
36 José Mejia 2B New   DSL Black
37 Elvin Garcia SS New   DSL Black
38 Stiven Martinez OF New   DSL Orange
39 Adriander Mejia C New   DSL Orange
40 Nestor German RHP New   DEL (A)

Bubble Players        

Kade Strowd RHP 27   Nor (AAA)
  Maverick Handley  C     Nor (AAA)
  Matt Krook LHP     Nor (AAA)
  Carlos Tavera RHP     Nor (AAA)
  Trey McGough LHP     Nor (AAA)
  Max Wagner 3B 28   BOW (AA)
  Frederick Bencosme 2B     BOW (AA)
  Silas Ardoin C     BOW (AA)
  Alex Pham RHP     BOW (AA)
  Juan Nunez RHP     ABN (A+)
  Levi Wells RHP     ABN (A+)
  Jacob Cravey RHP     DEL (A)
  Trey Gibson RHP     DEL (A)
  Jesus Palacios RHP     FCL O's
  Edwin Amparo INF     FCL O's
  Félix Amparo INF     DSL Black
  Jemone Nuel INF     DSL Black
  Saul Gomez 3B/1B     DSL Orange

Tracking purposes

On 3/29/2024 at 8:43 PM, Tony-OH said:

These "power rankings" are a fun way to track prospects throughout the year. They are not "official" prospect rankings that are completed at the end of the year after a full evaluations. To be eligible for the list, a player must play at least one game on an active roster. (Updated as of Jul 1st) 

RK Name POS Prev   Team INJ
1 Jackson Holliday SS 1   Nor (AAA)  
2 Samuel Basallo C 2   BOW (AA)  
3 Coby Mayo 3B/RF 3   Nor (AAA)  
4 Heston Kjerstad RF/1B 4   Baltimore  
5 Cade Povich LHP 5   Baltimore  
6 Chayce McDermott RHP 6   Nor (AAA)  
7 Luis DeLeon LHP 9   ABN (A+)  
8 Michael Forret RHP 12   ABN (A+)  
9 Dylan Beavers OF 7   BOW (AA)  
10 Enrique Bradfield Jr. CF 8   ABN (A+)  
11 Connor Norby 2B 10   Nor (AAA)  
12 Jackson Baumeister  RHP 11   ABN (A+)  
13 Leandro Arias SS 13   DEL (A)  
14 Joshua Liranzo 3B 14   FCL O's  
15 Mac Horvath 2B/3B 15   ABN (A+)  
16 Thomas Sosa OF 16   DEL (A)  
17 Matthew Etzel OF 17   BOW (AA)  
18 Seth Johnson RHP 18   BOW (AA)  
19 Trace Bright RHP 19   BOW (AA)  
20 Brandon Young RHP 20   Nor (AAA)  
21 Emilio Sanchez SS 22   DSL Orange  
22 Cameron Weston RHP 23   BOW (AA)  
23 Jud Fabian OF 24   BOW (AA)  
24 Aron Estrada INF/OF 25   DEL (A)