2024 Prospect Power Rankings

Tony-OH

On 5/22/2024 at 10:22 AM, Say O! said:

ESPN (Kiley McDaniel) provides notes and re-rank of his top50.  Note that he removes players who have already lost or projected to lose eligibility in next week or so (meaning no guys like Cowser on O’s or Langford on TEX).  Link to post (note is behind paywall).

• Holliday #2 and 65 FV tier (along w/Skenes who jumped to #1 overall)
  • Mayo #6 and 60 FV tier
  • Basallo #16 and 55 FV tier
  • Kjerstad #47 and 50 FV tier

Fangraphs (Eric Longenhagen) provides update to his top100.  Unlike Kiley/ESPN, this list does not yet reflect any changes or projected changes to rookie eligibility (ie guys like Langford and Chourio are still in the top100 list).  Link to top100 list and his separate write up post.

• Holliday #1
  • Basallo #9
  • Mayo #22
  • Kjerstad #26
  • Povich #92

MLB pipeline (Callis/Mayo) just updated their top100.  Link to article and link to full list.  Mentions that Skenes would be #1 but  this list reflects projected eligibility.  For the Os

Holliday #1

Basallo #12

Mayo #15

Kjerstad #20

Edited by Say O!
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Say O! said:

MLB pipeline (Callis/Mayo) just updated their top100.  Link to article and link to full list.  Mentions that Skenes would be #1 but  this list reflects projected eligibility.  For the Os

Holliday #1

Basallo #12

Mayo #15

Kjerstad #20

Thanks for posting. Looks more like just an adjustment to knock off the ineligible players. I check this almost daily because I think it’s the quickiest, user friendly, way to check our top 30. 

In no world should Salas be ahead of Basallo. $5.6 million dollar bonus for Salas. 

Big movers:

Forret 12 -> 8

E. Garica 37 -> 30

M. Rodriguez 34 -> 31

Almeyda 21 -> 26

Cook 29 -> 32

Y. Rivera 32 -> 39

Acevedo 33 -> 40

I'm not sure why the big drop for Rivera.   He had a good June (1.93 ERA) and allowed 1 ER in 3 IP last week, hardly a disaster.   I'm also interested in why Forret has jumped Baumeister.   

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

In no world should Salas be ahead of Basallo. $5.6 million dollar bonus for Salas. 

I made the case last year that Basallo's finish at A+/AA was better than Salas'.  Especially Eastern/IL vs. PCL adjusted. But I didn't have a strong case vs. the age difference projections other than assuming SDP rushed Salas.  Looks like as strong a theory as any at this point to me.  Not MLBpipeline.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Big movers:

Forret 12 -> 8

E. Garica 37 -> 30

M. Rodriguez 34 -> 31

Almeyda 26 -> 21

Cook 29 -> 32

Y. Rivera 32 -> 39

Acevedo 33 -> 40

I'm not sure why the big drop for Rivera.   He had a good June (1.93 ERA) and allowed 1 ER in 3 IP last week, hardly a disaster.   I'm also interested in why Forret has jumped Baumeister.   

Alemyda feel fell from 21 to 26 BTW.

Really like Forrett's improvement on the changeup and the fact that he's hitting 95 in the 5th inning tells me he's holing velocity. He's younger than Baumeister so I'm bumping him for now over him.

I'm not huge fan of Rivera's stuff and the fact that they don't let him exceed 40 pitches is a concern for me. His off-speed and breaking balls are inconsistent and while they've promoted him very quickly, nothing jumps out as me as a major league swing and miss pitch. So we have a guy who the Orioles don't think can start, and who doesn't miss bats at great rates against A-ball hitters. He has hit mid 90s this year, but I still just don't see it. He's worth following though as he's pretty skinny, and that he could lead to another velocity bump. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Alemyda feel fell from 21 to 26 BTW.

Really like Forrett's improvement on the changeup and the fact that he's hitting 95 in the 5th inning tells me he's holing velocity. He's younger than Baumeister so I'm bumping him for now over him.

I'm not huge fan of Rivera's stuff and the fact that they don't let him exceed 40 pitches is a concern for me. His off-speed and breaking balls are inconsistent and while they've promoted him very quickly, nothing jumps out as me as a major league swing and miss pitch. So we have a guy who the Orioles don't think can start, and who doesn't miss bats at great rates against A-ball hitters. He has hit mid 90s this year, but I still just don't see it. He's worth following though as he's pretty skinny, and that he could lead to another velocity bump. 

Almeyda is doing horribly in the FCL.  Braylin Tavera, back off the IL, continues to struggle in low A.  Emilio Sanchez is so so, so far in the DSL.  Maikol Hernandez looks like toast.   Is there a way to make it so no one is the highest bonus Latin signing? Lol

The #2 and #3 guys (Basallo, Arias, Sosa, Liranzo, García, Stiven Martínez, Jordan Sanchez) look like the gems.   Plus Estrada.

Edited by RZNJ

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Almeyda is doing horribly in the FCL.  Braylin Tavera, back off the IL, continues to struggle in low A.  Emilio Sanchez is so so, so far in the DSL.  Maikol Hernandez looks like toast.   Is there a way to make it so no one is the highest bonus Latin signing? Lol

The #2 and #3 guys (Basallo, Arias, Sosa, Liranzo, García, Stiven Martínez, Jordan Sanchez) look like the gems.   Plus Estrada.

Basallo received $1.3 million. Hernandez was number 2 in 2021 at $1.2 million.

If you throw out Povich, we can have this discussion 3-4 starts before his prospect eligibility is over, who is our #4 behind the big 3?

4. McDermott

5. Etzel

Just as like a hot sheet type thing. Etzel is having a better season than the position players of EBJ, Beavers, Horvath, and Fabian. He also plays CF. Not a small dude either. He’s 6’2” 200. 

It’s been a crazy good year for Etzel so far for anyone. Let alone a 10th rd pick. 

Maybe a little too soon on Etzel, but we’ll see if he keeps it up. 

• Upvote 1