Chayce McDermott 2024

Frobby

McDermott certainly is just about unhittable when he's on his game.  This one's right up there with his 6.2 inning no hitter in early May.  He's coming up on a full year in AAA (promoted for a July 15 start last year).   At this point I'd say he's in play to help the major league team if needed.   He's still not a finished product, but he could compete in the majors IMO.

8 hours ago, Big Mac said:

I was wondering that as well, but it looks like all affiliates are playing Monday through Saturday this week with an off day on Sunday. 

Maybe breaking their schedule because the AAA All Star break is coming up?

Also, heckuva start for McDermott. As @frobby just pointed out, he’s been in AAA for almost a year now. I think we’ve seen how much that full year in AAA can mean.

His likely MLB debut could be 7/29 in one of the doubleheader games versus Toronto. With the All Star breaks coming up, I’d imagine we’d adjust him over his next 3 starts to line him up for 7/29. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Maybe breaking their schedule because the AAA All Star break is coming up?

Also, heckuva start for McDermott. As @frobby just pointed out, he’s been in AAA for almost a year now. I think we’ve seen how much that full year in AAA can mean.

His likely MLB debut could be 7/29 in one of the doubleheader games versus Toronto. With the All Star breaks coming up, I’d imagine we’d adjust him over his next 3 starts to line him up for 7/29. 

They’d have to clear a 40-man spot to do that.   I doubt they’d do that if the plan was for McDermott to make one start and return to the minors.   

Great step for McDermott but hopefully he can follow this up with a few good starts. Seems like between he, Povich and Johnson we have some real Jeckyl and Hyde guys. One day they are the best pitcher in International League and the next they can’t get through 3 innings.

McDermott’s stuff is pretty nasty.  I’m really curious to see how/if it translates to MLB. My observations from last night and in general are:

1. He takes a long time to get going.  Walked the lead off batter on 5 pitches in the first.  Walked the lead off batter on 5 pitches in the 3rd.  Would have walked the lead off batter in the 2nd, but the batter swung at 3 pitches out of the zone.  Walked the second batter of inning 2.  Through 3innings he was at 58% strikes.

2. The swing and miss he gets are almost all on pitches out of the zone.  

3. When he gives up hard contact it tends to be in the beginning of games.  3rd out in 1st was smoked right at the RF.

4. As he settles in batters take awful swings against him.  You really see some awkward swings at pitches way out of the zone.  It looks like the batters have no idea what’s coming and where it’s going.  He keeps the batters off balanced and induces a lot of swing and miss on really  bad swings. 

5. he changes levels well.  His fastball is a weapon up on the zone when batters are looking for the low curve/slider/change. 

The stuff is undeniable.  You can tell no one is comfortable hitting against him.  I guess my question on him is if MLB caliber hitters will be able to lay off the pitches out of the zone.  I feel like if a team game planned him like the Yankees did for Povich’s second start and just not offer at pitches that were even close, he’d be in a world of trouble.  Even with the 71% strikes last night I’d still like to see better command.  I’d like to see him challenge hitters inside the zone and not depend on chasing so much.  I think he has the stuff repertoire to do that. 

Edited by emmett16
  • Upvote 1