Coby Mayo 2024

Tony-OH

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Osornot said:

Why don't they have bench/dugout gates?

My question is why didn’t someone in the dugout (opposing team) try to help him out?  Seems like the right thing to do and have seen other teams help out in that situation in the past. 

Edited by emmett16
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

Allegedly.  Elias also said they'd been talking to Hicks even before the injury so I don't really buy that Cowser would have come up.

Cowser was injured May 16.  Hicks was released by the Yankees May 26.   Mullins was injured May 29.  Hicks was available to replace Mullins; Cowser wasn’t.  

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Cowser was injured May 16.  Hicks was released by the Yankees May 26.   Mullins was injured May 29.  Hicks was available to replace Mullins; Cowser wasn’t.  

Right. That doesn't dispute what I was saying.  The thought was that if Cowser wouldn't have been injured he would have been called up to replace Mullins. I do not believe that would have been the case. 

1 minute ago, glenn__davis said:

Right. That doesn't dispute what I was saying.  The thought was that if Cowser wouldn't have been injured he would have been called up to replace Mullins. I do not believe that would have been the case. 

It can’t be proved he would have come up.  I do think Elias has said, in effect, it was fortunate Hicks was available, because Cowser was injured at the time.  That certainly suggests Cowser would have been seriously considered.  It doesn’t prove he would have been chosen.  But it’s credible that he might have been, considering that he was called up on July 5, only 5 weeks later.  

7 hours ago, emmett16 said:

My question is why didn’t someone in the dugout (opposing team) try to help him out?  Seems like the right thing to do and have seen other teams help out in that situation in the past. 

Yup. agree.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

It can’t be proved he would have come up.  I do think Elias has said, in effect, it was fortunate Hicks was available, because Cowser was injured at the time.  That certainly suggests Cowser would have been seriously considered.  It doesn’t prove he would have been chosen.  But it’s credible that he might have been, considering that he was called up on July 5, only 5 weeks later.  

Correct, it can't be proved either way.  That was my point, the assumption that Cowser would have been called up if he hadn't been injured isn't necessarily true.  I don't put much stock into what Elias says regarding these things.  He says a lot of things.  I do know that it is not SOP for the Orioles to bring up an actual prospect to replace an injured player at the MLB level.  They don't operate that way.

8 hours ago, emmett16 said:

Pretty crappy if you ask me. All players should be protecting each other, particularly in the minors when they all have the same goal to get to the show. I didn't see the play so not sure, but I'd like to know what players or coaches were near there and what they did or did not do.

11 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Pretty crappy if you ask me. All players should be protecting each other, particularly in the minors when they all have the same goal to get to the show. I didn't see the play so not sure, but I'd like to know what players or coaches were near there and what they did or did not do.

1 hour ago, smarchak said:

It really doesn't look like any of the opposing players could have helped as it happened so quickly, but maybe they should have a gate that closes into the dugout.

Coby Mayo falls into dugout attempting to make catch | 05/16/2024 | Tides (milb.com)

Fair.  I agree it happened quick and there might not have been someone close by.  It’s hard to tell from that video.  A lot of times in that situation people go out of their way to help out because it’s a very dangerous situation.  All these guys typically look for each and have the highest respect for their fellow competitors.  

Also agree that a gate may have prevented that and would be a good idea to have protection across the entire dugout.  Field conditions need to be safe for the players.  Teams need to protect their assets at all costs.  

Not every opposing player is keen on helping in that situation. I think it was unfortunate the opposing team coaches were on the field coaching the base paths. When you are an adult you think about what if that was your kid.

8 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Not every opposing player is keen on helping in that situation. I think it was unfortunate the opposing team coaches were on the field coaching the base paths. When you are an adult you think about what if that was your kid.

When you’re a player you should be thinking “what if that was me”.

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

When you’re a player you should be thinking “what if that was me”.

And when you're a competitor, you think I'm not going to interfere with him, but I'm definitely not helping him either because I want to win and (sometimes) I don't want to hurt myself helping the other guy.

I'm not saying you're all wrong, but we shouldn't ignore that competitors want to win and don't usually want to help the opponent unless there's an obvious injury. For something like this that happened so quickly, in real time, I don't really think it falls into that category.

After when someone that gets hit in the head or otherwise has a bad injury is where you really see all players being in a brotherhood.