Coby Mayo 2024

Tony-OH

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

How do you have seven assists in 20 games at first?

Do you think that’s a lot, or a little?   Looking around the majors, there’s a huge variance.   The Red Sox have 125 assists at 1B, while the Rays have 50.   

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I want to see how he looks in spring training next year before I start jumping to conclusions.  He's not great now, but for some reason I think he can improve.  He's not a bad athlete by any stretch.  The arm is a cannon, he just needs to figure out how to dial it in.

Yea.  Def not writing him off.  That’s a big body to control and he’s very young..  He by all accounts has the work ethic and athleticism to make it happen.  It’s just a little rougher start than I had imagined.  I don’t think he’s playable at 3B down the stretch.  It will be interesting to see how they work him in.  I think they need to keep throwing him out there, but for how much longer? 

5 minutes ago, Orioles Jim said:

I almost don’t care if he can play 3B. We’ve already got an All Star 3B.

Looking forward to seeing which position they send him this offseason to practice/learn.

That my thought.  He shouldn’t get much play at 3rd if we are healthy..  Holiday at 2nd, Henderson at SS, and Westy at 3rd is all we need.  He should be DH or 1st in the future.  

• Upvote 1

I am trying to figure out what happened in the 1st inning they give him an error then took it away later on.  Did he get bad hop or why was it changed.   I didn’t see anything unusual on replay for it not to be an error but we didn’t get many looks at it.  

Just now, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

Not that it matters right now, but long term how does this play out with westburg? 

It’s a positive problem to have. 

I dunno how it shakes out. I could see a lot of scenarios but I ultimately think he winds up at first. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Baseball fandom said:

Late to this thread. Has anyone heard from Roy tonight.? Mayo is looking rough in the field and at the plate. Be interesting to see how much rope the Orioles give him before he gets the Holiday reset treatment. 

Kinda think that was the plan. He came up earlier than the rookie cutoff. Look, learn, experience. See what you have to do to be successful to help us down the stretch. The plan was always going to be to send him back to AAA for a couple weeks as service clock management unless he absolutely tore the cover off the ball. And if he did that, well, #@$% yeah, thank you! Great job!

After Holliday, I gots no judgement on any two week MLB stint and fully believe the brief look only benefits them when they head back down to work on stuff. Only issue is, Jackson had a couple months (injury did extend that), Mayo may only have a couple to three weeks to make some adjustments to help this year.

2 minutes ago, oh-wee-ohs said:

Kinda think that was the plan. He came up earlier than the rookie cutoff. Look, learn, experience. See what you have to do to be successful to help us down the stretch. The plan was always going to be to send him back to AAA for a couple weeks as service clock management unless he absolutely tore the cover off the ball. And if he did that, well, #@$% yeah, thank you! Great job!

After Holliday, I gots no judgement on any two week MLB stint and fully believe the brief look only benefits them when they head back down to work on stuff. Only issue is, Jackson had a couple months (injury did extend that), Mayo may only have a couple to three weeks to make some adjustments to help this year.

Right service clock. Since the Orioles are going to lose Holiday's and not be able to be qualified for the draft pick it will be good to keep Mayo eligible for next year for the 2026 draft pick

1 hour ago, Baseball fandom said:

Late to this thread. Has anyone heard from Roy tonight.? Mayo is looking rough in the field and at the plate. Be interesting to see how much rope the Orioles give him before he gets the Holiday reset treatment. 

I'm here,and though many think I'm Coby's PR person, I too am disappointed and wont sugar coat it. He's been pretty awful. The error that was changed to an infield hit still kind of  ate him up, then the ball thrown in the dirt to Mountcastle was inexcusable because Coby had time to make the easy out. He didn't.Some of his strikeouts he looked intimidated and overmatched, but that last ball was hit really hard and would've been his first hit, but the shortstop made a great play on it. I hope Coby takes that last at bat and builds on it. You can see he has a very big swing, and I think he's over swinging. But I believe it's just a matter of time before he hits and makes all the plays in the field.The question is, how much time will the Orioles give Coby. Remember , the Orioles dont have a lot of infielders since Westburg and Mateo went down and Norby was traded, so Coby might get a longer leash. Urias isnt hitting well either, and might be a defensive replacement when Coby starts to hit , but needs to come out for Urias' glove. So, yes, I am disappointed but I feel he will start to hit and hit with power.Maybe it will be in Tampa .

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I'm here,and though many think I'm Coby's PR person, I too am disappointed and wont sugar coat it. He's been pretty awful. The error that was changed to an infield hit still kind of  ate him up, then the ball thrown in the dirt to Mountcastle was inexcusable because Coby had time to make the easy out. He didn't.Some of his strikeouts he looked intimidated and overmatched, but that last ball was hit really hard and would've been his first hit, but the shortstop made a great play on it. I hope Coby takes that last at bat and builds on it. You can see he has a very big swing, and I think he's over swinging. But I believe it's just a matter of time before he hits and makes all the plays in the field.The question is, how much time will the Orioles give Coby. Remember , the Orioles dont have a lot of infielders since Westburg and Mateo went down and Norby was traded, so Coby might get a longer leash. Urias isnt hitting well either, and might be a defensive replacement when Coby starts to hit , but needs to come out for Urias' glove. So, yes, I am disappointed but I feel he will start to hit and hit with power.Maybe it will be in Tampa .

Thanks for posting Roy. Personality I think Mayo will be fine though he may need the Holiday reset if he doesn't pull out of it soon. Either way he will be in the Orioles plans for next year for sure one would think.