Jordan Westburg 2024

interloper

2 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Going into tonight, he had a 1.207 OPS in 2 strike counts. 

Obviously unsustainable but like McDonald pointed out on the broadcast, you gotta love someone who's not afraid to hit with 2 strikes.  Westburg appears to be that dude.

13 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I do not want Mayo traded with his potential as a hitter. He needs to settle in as a corner outfielder or 1B/DH. If the Orioles were to trade Mayo they better be getting an elite pitcher in return. 

I’m pretty sure they would be getting just that. I’m not saying that they should trade him. But if Means and Bradish are not able to come back and be themselves, we are going to need to trade for a high end starter. Because what we have now in the rotation is too too heavy.

I guess we could trade Kjerstad instead of Mayo if they hold similar value?

In addition to an exciting team again this year there are two players who I wait to come to bat.  Westberg and Cowser  are to me  real gems in the lineup for the Orioles.   I hope others join them  before the year is out  in being real crowd pleasers in addition to some of the vets.    

I love the fact that Westburg is getting so much love right now.   He’s always been underrated.   Obviously he’s very hot right now and will cool down, but he’s certainly quieting the doubters, especially those who were worrying that his power numbers from the minors weren’t carrying over to the majors.  The Wall is going to dampen his HR totals a bit, but he’s got very solid power and is figuring out how to get to it at the major league level.   

24 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

In addition to an exciting team again this year there are two players who I wait to come to bat.  Westberg and Cowser  are to me  real gems in the lineup for the Orioles.   I hope others join them  before the year is out  in being real crowd pleasers in addition to some of the vets.    

Umm…. Are you not “pleased” with watching Gunnar Henderson? I know that I am!

But I agree, Westburg and Cowser have been a joy thus far this season. I’m really pleased with the jump each has made in their 2nd go round in the bigs.

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I love the fact that Westburg is getting so much love right now.   He’s always been underrated.   Obviously he’s very hot right now and will cool down, but he’s certainly quieting the doubters, especially those who were worrying that his power numbers from the minors weren’t carrying over to the majors.  The Wall is going to dampen his HR totals a bit, but he’s got very solid power and is figuring out how to get to it at the major league level.   

I confess to being one of the main culprits there. I was certainly wondering where all the power went. But JW is just another reminder for me to be patient in the process of allowing players to make the adjustment in competition.

If Westburg and Cowser are anything close to what they have shown in the early going of this season and once Holliday "adjusts", all we need is for just one of Kjerstad/Mayo to pop and we will have the best offense in baseball; which I'm sure was the vision of the front office when they went so position player heavy during the top of each draft.

33 minutes ago, Frobby said:

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

His wall-conquering home run was 103mph/404ft, still a bomb, but proving you don't really have to go full Giancarlo Stanton on a pitch to hit it over the wall. 

Westburg seems to have the requisite power to beat the Wall. Its not easy for some players but so far early in his career it doesn't yet seem to be an issue. 

2 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

At this point, and it's close, Westburg is an even better all around player than Cowser or Henderson.I hope he can sustain his excellence over the long season.

He's having a shocking start to the season no question.