Jordan Westburg 2024

interloper

Just now, Billy F-Face3 said:

Seeing Westburg batting 3rd is something I didn't expect. Let's see how it goes. I would have liked to see what happened if he batted cleanup. And at the same time, we had such a good thing going with him batting right after Cowser, that I don't know if we are tinkering too much by changing his spot in the lineup.

I'm looking forward to watching!

Not cleanup, lead off.

Brain fart.

35 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

Is it just me or does Westburg's breakout look pretty real?

Cowser could be a lot of SSS stuff going on but I'm feeling ever more confident that Westburg's SSS has a good deal of signal there. 

How do you make the distinction? 

57 minutes ago, Frobby said:

How do you make the distinction? 

I would say because even when Westburg’s results weren’t there, the expected numbers said they should be.

Cowser had a lot of big extra base hits that drove up his results and expected numbers, and balanced out non-productive AB’s.

I guess it’s like Westburg has had a better median at bat, where the advantage in mean AB goes to Cowser or a tie.

Not sure if that makes sense, or any data to back it up. But I also feel more confident in Westburg’s sustained success.

Edited by DirtyBird
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

I would say because even when Westburg’s results weren’t there, the expected numbers said they should be.

Cowser had a lot of big extra base hits that drove up his results and expected numbers, and balanced out non-productive AB’s.

I guess it’s like Westburg has had a better median at bat, where the advantage in mean AB goes to Cowser or a tie.

Not sure if that makes sense, or any data to back it up. But I also feel more confident in Westburg’s sustained success.

Yeah, basically this, that Westburg's underlying numbers (EV, barrel %, xwOBA) seem to point at this being pretty real, or at least that there's nothing 'undeserved / lucky' about this hot streak, if it's just that. 

13 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

Fair enough.   I think both players have flaws and have talent, and how they’ll each develop is kind of an open question for me.  I’m encouraged with how they’ve started.  

One worry I’ve permanently crossed off my list is Cowser’s defense.  It was puzzling that he seemed so tentative last year, when his MiL rep was pretty good.   This year he’s looked very comfortable from the jump, and he covers a lot of ground quickly with those long strides.