Tyler Wells 2024

Jagwar

He can still have an impact on this team as an optionable reliever. He’d probably not get above relief option any way on this year’s team and maybe that’s what best for him long term given his injury history. However, we do lose Burnes and Means after this season.  Wells and Suarez are at least options to start next season. 

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He can still have an impact on this team as an optionable reliever. He’d probably not get above relief option any way on this year’s team and maybe that’s what best for him long term given his injury history. However, we do lose Burnes and Means after this season.  Wells and Suarez are at least options to start next season. 

Suarez shouldn’t even be considered an option for next year right now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

I’d written Wells off after the last report about his elbow. If he can get healthy, having him back as a RP would be a huge boost. 

He doesn't walk many people, but he doesn't strike people out either and is HR prone. We have enough middling stuff in the pen right now, if he's the big move, it won't be enough.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Malike said:

He doesn't walk many people, but he doesn't strike people out either and is HR prone. We have enough middling stuff in the pen right now, if he's the big move, it won't be enough.

Not when he’s been working as a RP and throwing 95 MPH, but if he doesn’t find that fastball velo again then I would agree. I had thought 2021 Wells was gone, but he came back as a RP at the end of last year and was throwing 94/95 again. He will always be an extreme fly ball pitcher, but he’s had much better bat-missing stuff out of the pen.

11 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Not when he’s been working as a RP and throwing 95 MPH, but if he doesn’t find that fastball velo again then I would agree. I had thought 2021 Wells was gone, but he came back as a RP at the end of last year and was throwing 94/95 again. He will always be an extreme fly ball pitcher, but he’s had much better bat-missing stuff out of the pen.

He threw 10 innings as a RP last year. In 2021 when he was a RP he threw 57 innings to a 4.11 ERA with 9 HR. He had a 7.2 K/9 as a RP last year for us.

1 hour ago, Malike said:

He threw 10 innings as a RP last year. In 2021 when he was a RP he threw 57 innings to a 4.11 ERA with 9 HR. He had a 7.2 K/9 as a RP last year for us.

And people got on me for daring to call Baumann "solid". Such extravagant praise! Lol. 

Compare those Wells numbers to Baumann's 2023: 64 IP, 3.76 ERA with 7 HR and 8.5 K/9. 

🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, interloper said:

And people got on me for daring to call Baumann "solid". Such extravagant praise! Lol. 

Compare those Wells numbers to Baumann's 2023: 64 IP, 3.76 ERA with 7 HR and 8.5 K/9. 

🤷‍♂️

Eh, Baumann just got to face more batters per inning given all the walks and hits he gave up.  Wells had K% of 25% vs. 22.3% for Bauman.  His ERA, FIP, xFIP, and SIERA were all better than Baumann.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

🤷‍♂️

Mike Baumann is so many things but solid isn’t one of them. He’ll be playing independent ball next year

41 minutes ago, TopGunnar said:

Mike Baumann is so many things but solid isn’t one of them. He’ll be playing independent ball next year

Blatant ignoring of the stats I posted. Not really how we do things around here.