Cedric Mullins 2024

DirtyBird

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's like the ghost of Chris Davis found him and has taken over his body.  

I know bat speed isn't everything, but with the bat speed info that dropped, I took a look.  His average is 70.9 which isn't terribly slow, it's actually pretty average.  

For whatever reason, he just can't square anything up.  I hope he fixes it but it's really tough to watch right now.

And people will mindlessly say “muh track record” just like Buck constantly repeated about Davis.

Edited by DirtyBird

I will say this. If he keeps struggling I could see it impact Urias being on the team. 

At some point would have to think Holliday is back. That lessens Mateo’s playing time. Do you keep Urias or a Stowers at that point? I understand and agree with Elias that you are trying to get thru a 162 game season. Normally it would mean Stowers goes back down. That said if Mullins continues not to hit, it at least raises the likelihood of wanting a LH bat to an extent. 

8 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

And people will mindlessly say “muh track record” just like they Buck constantly repeated about Davis.

If you don’t understand the difference, I can’t help you.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

He’s under the ball, and pulling everything.  It’s either strikeouts, pop outs, or grounders to the right side.  I agree it’s very tough to watch.  I still say he he’ll get at least another 4-6 weeks to snap out of it before the O’s make any significant change to his role.  

We don't have that luxury. 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

I have a ton of respect for the old guard.  

Mullins, Santander, Hays, Urias, Mateo- Mountcastle-ish.

I think they deserve the opportunity to be have the job taken from them and not pulled from them.  

These prospects need to come up and kick the door down and so far its clearly is not the current way. 

Edited by justcompete

22 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I will say this. If he keeps struggling I could see it impact Urias being on the team. 

At some point would have to think Holliday is back. That lessens Mateo’s playing time. Do you keep Urias or a Stowers at that point? I understand and agree with Elias that you are trying to get thru a 162 game season. Normally it would mean Stowers goes back down. That said if Mullins continues not to hit, it at least raises the likelihood of wanting a LH bat to an extent. 

Holliday is back when Elias, Sig and company think he can hit MLB pitching.  It might not be success against minor league pitching at large.  I'm sure they're tracking how he handles individual types of pitches and how he does against elite stuff (top prospects and MLB pitchers rehabbing).

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

We don't have that luxury. 

Yes we do.  And almost every team would do the same. 

The Orioles are 14-8 in the games Mullins has played in during his slump.  So explain to me why we don’t have the luxury of giving him time to break out of it.  

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

And people will mindlessly say “muh track record” just like they Buck constantly repeated about Davis.

Yeah at some point even though the sample size is small compared to the breadth of his career, it’s stretching back into the end of 2023. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

He’s under the ball, and pulling everything.  It’s either strikeouts, pop outs, or grounders to the right side.  I agree it’s very tough to watch.  I still say he he’ll get at least another 4-6 weeks to snap out of it before the O’s make any significant change to his role.  

I was thinking he'll get until the AS break to show some signs of life, but it could happen by Father's Day. I'm not implying that they'll release him but that his role could decrease significantly.

Mullins had a good AB left on left last night that hopefully is a good sign of a turnaround. 10 pitches and fought off several fastballs that he has been swinging through. Ultimately just a groundout but I thought it was encouraging. 

Liked the bunt single too. 

17 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I was thinking he'll get until the AS break to show some signs of life, but it could happen by Father's Day. I'm not implying that they'll release him but that his role could decrease significantly.

Truth is, they’ve already made some adjustments.  He’s only started 35 of 43 games, and he’s batted in the bottom third of the order in more than half those starts.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Yes we do.  And almost every team would do the same. 

The Orioles are 14-8 in the games Mullins has played in during his slump.  So explain to me why we don’t have the luxury of giving him time to break out of it.  

Because Roy Firestone thinks we're an inch from franchise doom no matter how well the team is doing. It's incredibly tiresome.