Colton Cowser 2024

11 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

I haven’t done any research, but is Cowser’s defense good enough for GG consideration?

Here is the current leaderboard for Outs Above Average (OAA) for outfielders all leagues.  

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/leaderboard/outs_above_average?type=Fielder&startYear=2024&endYear=2024&split=yes&team=&range=year&min=q&pos=of&roles=&viz=hide

image.thumb.png.203174aca1aa1bfc4e6fb796be350aa0.png

Varsho is shoo-in, Kiermaier switching leagues helps Cowser’s case.  

Edited by Say O!
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Say O! said:

Here is the current leaderboard for Outs Above Average (OAA) for outfielders all leagues.  

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/leaderboard/outs_above_average?type=Fielder&startYear=2024&endYear=2024&split=yes&team=&range=year&min=q&pos=of&roles=&viz=hide

image.thumb.png.203174aca1aa1bfc4e6fb796be350aa0.png

Varsho is shoo-in, Kiermaier switching leagues helps Cowser’s case.  

Wow! Ten OAA! He may be the best defender on the team!

2 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

Wow! Ten OAA! He may be the best defender on the team!

According to OAA, it’s not even close.  (Note that Gunnar was scored higher earlier in the year before errors started arising).

image.thumb.png.429faa6f022af682cd9f2b1c49cc3188.png

2 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Very cool little tidbit here. Cowser switched to a slightly heavier bat after the All Star break - definitely slowing down the swing (but still plus swing speed) and maybe allowing for more mid-swing adjustments for better contact quality?

Very cool. Thanks for sharing. I wonder who identified the need for the switch, Cowser or the coaches? Sounds like a story to follow.

14 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Has any team in the history of baseball had runner up and back to back ROY in 3 seasons?

Dodgers had the ROY for 4 years in a row from 79 - 82, and then 5 years in a row from 92 - 96.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

Dodgers had the ROY for 4 years in a row from 79 - 82, and then 5 years in a row from 92 - 96.

Thanks. I was also thinking about recent teams like Cubs, Royals, and Nats.

Up to .250/.331/.459 for a .790 OPS.  Last 30 games he's hitting .301/.365/.544

If he keeps raking, he might win Rookie of the Year.  Mason Miller could come back soon, he's scheduled to throw a bullpen on Monday.  Gil has come back to earth a little bit but still has a strong overall line and is on the Yankees.

Cowser certainly has a shot at it.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, Triple Crown said:

No way he beats out a Yankee in a close race. He will have to really stretch things out between himself and Gil

I think we went over this last month.

Would you care to show me where the Yankees have any sort of advantage in RoY voting?

They have had one in the current millennium.

Did you think Judge didn't deserve the award in 2017?

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think we went over this last month.

Would you care to show me where the Yankees have any sort of advantage in RoY voting?

They have had one in the current millennium.

Did you think Judge didn't deserve the award in 2017?

Right on cue, CoC jumps in to defend his precious Yankees. 

• Haha 1

Luis Gil wouldn’t net the Yankees anything in terms of draft pick. Not sure if that will have anything to do with voting. Gold glove would seal the deal for Cowser. Worried Kwan may steal it on name recognition.

1 hour ago, Triple Crown said:

No way he beats out a Yankee in a close race. He will have to really stretch things out between himself and Gil

Gil has just passed his career high for innings pitched in a season (previously 108 back in 2021). Wonder if they have to manage his innings down the stretch or if he can keep it up. He barely through at all in 2022 and 2023.