Ramon Urias 2024

DirtyBird

16 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Do you believe that Holliday needs or will even come close to getting 600 ABs at the AAA level?

I thought he was going to be on the OD roster based on the spring he had and what Elias said. I think he's ready today, so no I don't think he needs 600.

He's at 100 AAA ABs now. I don't think he gets to 600, but I don't know how many he'll get. I don't know what it will take for Elias to promote him. How many innings at 2B will it take in combination with how many LHP does he need to face. Do they have to be high quality LHP? Are there any quality LHP in AAA that he'll face enough.

11 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Todd Cruz, Leo Hernandez, Lenn Sakata, Benny Ayala…

1983 World Series Champions

1983 = over 40 years ago under a totally different structure/era of baseball. 

Surely there have to be more recent, relevant examples?

12 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Todd Cruz, Leo Hernandez, Lenn Sakata, Benny Ayala…

1983 World Series Champions

49 minutes ago, deward said:

Based on what we've seen, I expect him to let Santander/Hays/Mullins all play out their contracts, then replace them with the prospects one at a time. 

That sounds insufferable.

Well, the Hays part.  I like Mullins and Santander for the most part.

9 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

If you're right, we'll know soon enough--the 172 day threshold will come in a couple of weeks so we should see lots of movement by the end of April.  

I'd like to be right, but I'm probably not.

I think they release Kemp and bring up Holliday at that time.  The rest of the guys battling it out for an outfield spot, that'll be trickier.

I would love nothing more than to see them trade Hays for a bullpen arm and bring up one of Kjerstad or Stowers.

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

That sounds insufferable.

Well, the Hays part.  I like Mullins and Santander for the most part.

It wouldn't be my preferred plan, but that's what the behavior up to this point seems to suggest. I'd have traded Hays and Urias this offseason. I'm good with Mullins until a replacement is ready, although I'd be open to a stronger platoon partner if he doesn't get back on track vs LHP. I think Santander means a lot to this team, and I'd be open to the concept of a 3-4 year extension (especially if they can identify the next Cole Ragans and trade Kjerstad for him).

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'd like to be right, but I'm probably not.

I think they release Kemp and bring up Holliday at that time.  The rest of the guys battling it out for an outfield spot, that'll be trickier.

I would love nothing more than to see them trade Hays for a bullpen arm and bring up one of Kjerstad or Stowers.

I'm hoping Hays can't put up an .800 OPS to make himself a valuable trade commodity to a team that needs an outfielder. I'm not quite sure what Hays can net in a trade which makes me think he's likely to stay put.

12 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

1983 = over 40 years ago under a totally different structure/era of baseball. 

Surely there have to be more recent, relevant examples?

The 1983 Champs are the most recent and relevant Orioles team.

But since you asked, Miguel Rojas and David Peralta both started for the 2023 Dodgers.  Both had sub .300 OBPs and no power.  I think the Dodgers had World Series aspirations.  Recent and relevant enough?

16 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

The 1983 Champs are the most recent and relevant Orioles team.

But since you asked, Miguel Rojas and David Peralta both started for the 2023 Dodgers.  Both had sub .300 OBPs and no power.  I think the Dodgers had World Series aspirations.  Recent and relevant enough?

If that first statement is true, it makes me very sad to consider accepting that. 

Now on to the statement about the Dodgers, that was a mistake that they quickly corrected. 

Last season was their worst team in many years and even then they had two elite/consistent hitters to compensate for that one spot of non-production. We are hoping a few of our guys get there. But right now we simply have too much deadweight IMO. I do not believe that our offense is good enough to carry non-productive players consistently.

37 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I'm hoping Hays can't put up an .800 OPS to make himself a valuable trade commodity to a team that needs an outfielder. I'm not quite sure what Hays can net in a trade which makes me think he's likely to stay put.

Not much on his own, I'm thinking like a DC level kind of bullpen arm that SIGBOT could do something with.  He'd probably have to be part of a package to net anything more past that.

The good news is that the bullpen will probably need some help.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Now on to the statement about the Dodgers, that was a mistake that they quickly corrected. 

This year, Gavin Lux, Chris Taylor, and James Outman are all getting starts and sucking?

No team had 26 stars on their roster.  Every players goes through bad parts of a season, sometimes at the start.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

This year, Gavin Lux, Chris Taylor, and James Outman are all getting starts and sucking?

No team has 26 stars on their roster.  Every players goes through bad parts of a season, sometimes at the start.

I agree with and know everything in the bolded to be factual. I've been watching the Orioles and been a fan since 88' (when I was 8 years old).

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Not much on his own, I'm thinking like a DC level kind of bullpen arm that SIGBOT could do something with.  He'd probably have to be part of a package to net anything more past that.

The good news is that the bullpen will probably need some help.

That sounds about right it would probably have to be Hays and a pitching prospect as it seems to trade for pitching you have to give up pitching in return in today’s MLB. 

2 hours ago, spleen1015 said:

I thought he was going to be on the OD roster based on the spring he had and what Elias said. I think he's ready today, so no I don't think he needs 600.

He's at 100 AAA ABs now. I don't think he gets to 600, but I don't know how many he'll get. I don't know what it will take for Elias to promote him. How many innings at 2B will it take in combination with how many LHP does he need to face. Do they have to be high quality LHP? Are there any quality LHP in AAA that he'll face enough.

There are very few quality LH starting pitchers in AAA. With the scarcity of that resource, if you have/find a good one, he's probably going to be in the Bigs quickly. So if that is being believed as the standard, he may be in AAA for most if not all of the season.