Ramon Urias 2024

DirtyBird

6 hours ago, EddeeEddee said:

Why promote Norby to play 2B when they should just promote Holliday?  Norby feels destined to be in the OF or be traded.

Because I'm assuming that whatever ME and Co. use to judge whether players are ready or not will say that Norby is more ready than Holliday. He has 627 AB at Norfolk.

9 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

In that scenario, how long do you leave Holliday down at AAA especially if he keeps hitting the way he has?

I wouldn't have sent him down to start with. See my comment above. Since Norby has over 600 AB in AAA, I'm assuming he gets promoted first. All of the talk was about Holliday, but who knows what ME is thinking.

Overall, even a blind person can see we have so many players at AAA who are upgrades to guys like Urias and Kemp. Time to do the right thing to make our MLB team better.

This is one area where Hyde and Elias confuse me. And if you're not planning on bringing up guys, trade them for quality pitching.

This isn't 2020 anymore. Our World Series window is open and our GM needs to act accordingly.

It's a hard time to be a Urias defender, but I'd much rather see them move on from Kemp first.

Clearly, it has been a rough start for Ramon, but he was hitting great in spring training. 

He had the second highest OBP on the team last season, out of players who are still here. Only Adley's OBP was higher.

Since the start of 2022, he has the second highest DRS on the team, behind only Adley.

Give my boy a couple weeks. He makes a ton of sense as a part time player on this 2024 team. 

5 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

It's a hard time to be a Urias defender, but I'd much rather see them move on from Kemp first.

Clearly, it has been a rough start for Ramon, but he was hitting great in spring training. 

He had the second highest OBP on the team last season, out of players who are still here. Only Adley's OBP was higher.

Since the start of 2022, he has the second highest DRS on the team, behind only Adley.

Give my boy a couple weeks. He makes a ton of sense as a part time player on this 2024 team. 

Jettison Kemp, demote Urias to backup, and promote Holliday to full time would be my move. 

11 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

IGive my boy a couple weeks. He makes a ton of sense as a part time player on this 2024 team. 

Part time players should have at least one plus tool.  What is his?

13 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Part time players should have at least one plus tool.  What is his?

His defense. By Fielding Bible's metric, been our best defensive player besides Adley over the past two seasons. 

His versatility. He rated as an above average defender at 3B, 2B, and 1B. 

His OBP and ability to hit righties. .750 OPS against righties in his career. Not bad for glove-y utility infielder.

Edited by TommyPickles
  • Upvote 3

I mentioned this in another thread, but what is the front offices rationale behind not making room for ANY of our logjam in AAA?

the time to move Urias was after 2022 and him winning a gold glove. He had a very average year last year, and is somehow an opening day starter in 2024??

is there another example anyone can point to of a team absolutely loaded at AAA with average players on the major league roster (Hays/Urias/Mateo)?

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

His defense. By Fielding Bible's metric, been our best defensive player besides Adley over the past two seasons. 

His versatility. He rated as an above average defender at 3B, 2B, and 1B. 

His OBP and ability to hit righties. .750 OPS against righties in his career. Not bad for glove-y utility infielder.

You have to go back to "over the past two seasons" because he was not a good fielder last year. Fielding Bible had him as the #82 3B.

He has been sub .750 OPS vs RHP each of the past two seasons.

You are really stretching to find what he brings to the table.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

I mentioned this in another thread, but what is the front offices rationale behind not making room for ANY of our logjam in AAA?

Service.  Time.

That's it.  That's all that it is.  They want to be able to gain an extra year of control, trading a few weeks of the 2024 season for an extra year in 2030 or 2031 or whenever.

It's all service time, that's all it is.  No way they'll ever cop to that, but that's all it is.

And practically everyone here, ESPECIALLY the regular posters that have been here for years know it, too.  

I'm confident that we'll see Holliday, Mayo, Kjerstad up in Baltimore at some point this summer.  Might not be next week, but it'll happen.  

If I had my way, Hays would have been gone before ST started,  so would Mateo, and it'd break my heart but I think I'd have to get rid of Tony Taters, too.  I think Urias is a good guy to keep, but whatever, I get why people want him gone, too.

But I digress.

Service.  Time.  That's the front office's rationale behind not making any room for our logjam at AAA.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Service.  Time.

That's it.  That's all that it is.  They want to be able to gain an extra year of control, trading a few weeks of the 2024 season for an extra year in 2030 or 2031 or whenever.

It's all service time, that's all it is.  No way they'll ever cop to that, but that's all it is.

And practically everyone here, ESPECIALLY the regular posters that have been here for years know it, too.  

I'm confident that we'll see Holliday, Mayo, Kjerstad up in Baltimore at some point this summer.  Might not be next week, but it'll happen.  

If I had my way, Hays would have been gone before ST started,  so would Mateo, and it'd break my heart but I think I'd have to get rid of Tony Taters, too.  I think Urias is a good guy to keep, but whatever, I get why people want him gone, too.

But I digress.

Service.  Time.  That's the front office's rationale behind not making any room for our logjam at AAA.

I think it's this and one other thing: value hoarding. Elias thinks that Urias, Mateo, and O'Hearn are decent MLB players and if he promotes several of those AAA guys, he loses a couple of those MLB guys to other organizations. With this approach he gets to hold onto more assets for a rainy day. 

Now as for the Tyler Nevin and Tony Kemp tier, that's service time plain and simple. 

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Service.  Time.

But I digress.

It was a beautiful post until you said you’d get rid of Tony Taters. I think I’d get rid of about 23 guys on our roster before I’d consider Tony.

11 minutes ago, TopGunnar said:

It was a beautiful post until you said you’d get rid of Tony Taters. I think I’d get rid of about 23 guys on our roster before I’d consider Tony.

Yeah I’d get rid of Mullins before Tony. I like Mullins but he’s declining. 

26 minutes ago, TopGunnar said:

Well then I dunno what to tell you if you find yourself wanting to see Kjerstad and Stowers and Cowser on the same roster.  

I should also say that it goes without saying that I'd get rid of Tony Kemp, too.  

54 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

the time to move Urias was after 2022 and him winning a gold glove. He had a very average year last year, and is somehow an opening day starter in 2024??

is there another example anyone can point to of a team absolutely loaded at AAA with average players on the major league roster (Hays/Urias/Mateo)?

1.  Because Getz didn't see value in Norby, Stowers, and who knows who else?  Maybe Elias knows the value of our guys better than the market does?  And team control is a thing whether we like it or not.

3. LAD, TBR, PIT come to mind.  But none are as stacked as the O's at AAA.  PIT is a pileup of pitchers.