Fangraphs Analysis on Holliday Demotion

6 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Their writers are insufferable to read.  I couldn't make it past the 4th or 5th paragraph.

I really like the stat stuff but I do agree that FG takes it too far so often and it just becomes tough to follow.

It’s not that people can’t comprehend it, it’s that it gets so convoluted with sh!t that it just distracts you from their main point.

• Upvote 1

Clemens seems to be saying that the economics of playing service time games don’t really work here, and yet he’s not sure he believes that Holliday needs more development time in the minors.  On the latter, I don’t think Clemens really has an adequate basis for judgment.   He pretty much admits it:

“I think that Holliday is probably ready, but I’m not certain about that opinion. I’m more certain that demoting him for service time reasons is a bad call; the numbers simply don’t lie.”

• Upvote 1

On 4/4/2024 at 2:21 PM, forphase1 said:

Of course not.  Because by the numbers and by any reasonable logic, the only REAL reason why they did it was for service time issues, and nothing really to do with talent or ability.  Again, they of course are saying its to face more good LH pitching (which really isn't in the AAA level) or to work on his defense, but it's just GM speak.  Just as it was GM speak when Elias was blowing smoke up the OH collective rears when talking about how good his chances were to make the team.  I really like Elias and appreciate all he has done.  But he's made some blunders too and right now has us in a position where we have a wealth of riches, but seems unable or unwilling to do anything to clear the logjam.  Going to be an interesting couple next years.  

There are solid players on the major roster still. You can't just put Urias  on waivers and get nothing for him. If you're gonna put Jackson Holliday on this team, he can't just fill him in for Kemp, because kemp is not gonna play that much. The Orioles have a lot of problems with the roster and they are all good problems

3 hours ago, Spakman said:

There are solid players on the major roster still. You can't just put Urias  on waivers and get nothing for him. If you're gonna put Jackson Holliday on this team, he can't just fill him in for Kemp, because kemp is not gonna play that much. The Orioles have a lot of problems with the roster and they are all good problems

You release Kemp and make Urias a utility player.  Not a hard problem to solve.  

I wonder if Elias is waiting to see how many AL rookies get off to good starts.  He may have to keep him down longer if there's a risk that he'll finish in the top 2 in ROY voting.  

• Upvote 1