Brandon Hyde 2024

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

I assume you know that Mateo had a successful sac bunt yesterday, right?

McCann is an excellent bunter.   Last year he got one down on a pitch that nearly hit him in the face.  

Mateo has a track record of being terrible bunter, especially someone with his speed and awful hit tool (you'd think he'd try to improve as a bunter). One successful sac bunt yesterday doesn't change that. 

2 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

Mateo has a track record of being terrible bunter, especially someone with his speed and awful hit tool (you'd think he'd try to improve as a bunter). One successful sac bunt yesterday doesn't change that. 

In my opinion, you’re just using selective memory based on a couple of failed attempts you’ve seen.  In his career, Mateo has successfully sacrificed 12 of 16 times, for a 75% success rate.  Major league average is 61.4%.   So, there’s no evidence that Mateo is a terrible bunter by today’s standards.  

Now, those stats can be misleading, I admit.  They don’t account for situations where the batter attempts 1-2 bunts, doesn’t put it in play, and then swings away.   They just relate to whether the bunts that were put in play were successful.  But that’s true for all the other players making up that 61.4% success rate, too.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

Did not like him pinch hitting for Mateo and not pitch hitting for Mullins. 

Cosign. Mateo is the better offensive player right now and Mullins is unplayable outside his defense. Cowser needs to start more in CF he looked ok the other day.

Stowers did make ok contact pinch hitting for Mateo, but I would have preferred to see him or Mountcastle for Mullins to start the inning.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Cosign. Mateo is the better offensive player right now and Mullins is unplayable outside his defense. Cowser needs to start more in CF he looked ok the other day.

Stowers did make ok contact pinch hitting for Mateo, but I would have preferred to see him or Mountcastle for Mullins to start the inning.

LHB have an .825 OPS against Munoz, RHB .247.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Malike said:

Then factor in Mateo OPS vs right handers last 2 years .515 in 2023 and .432 in 2024.  Mateo is playing well because Hyde is using him in the correct situations.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Malike said:

But when that LHB is a Ced in a terrible slump, does that really matter?  Anyone could have done what he did, regardless of handedness, time in league or past track record.   Letting him try to hit was a bad decision.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Malike said:

I get that and normally I'm in favor of playing the matchup game.  

But Ced's terrible go of it lately negates that lefty .825 OPS against Munoz for me in that situation.  I'd have been alright with Mountcastle trying to catch a hold of one there instead...at least I think Mounty would have at a better chance to draw a walk and get on for Gunnar. 

IMO, getting a runner on for Gunnar was the most important part of that inning, especially if you're going to prop up the .825 OPS Munoz has against lefties.  If getting a runner on was the most important thing, then I don't want the weakest hitter on the team up there no matter what side of the plate he's standing on, I want the guy who can likely give the best at bat.  For me, that was Mountcastle.

Now I get the whole veteran thing, there was no way that Hyde was going to pinch hit for Mullins since he's been a valued member of the team.  But you could argue that Mateo has been a valued member of the team for the past couple years and that pinch hitting Stowers for him was a slap in the face to Mateo, especially when Mateo hasn't been the automatic out that Mullins has been lately.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

But Ced's terrible go of it lately negates that lefty .825 OPS against Munoz for me in that situation.  I'd have been alright with Mountcastle trying to catch a hold of one there instead...at least I think Mounty would have at a better chance to draw a walk and get on for Gunnar. 

IMO, getting a runner on for Gunnar was the most important part of that inning, especially if you're going to prop up the .825 OPS Munoz has against lefties.  If getting a runner on was the most important thing, then I don't want the weakest hitter on the team up there no matter what side of the plate he's standing on, I want the guy who can likely give the best at bat.  For me, that was Mountcastle.

Now I get the whole veteran thing, there was no way that Hyde was going to pinch hit for Mullins since he's been a valued member of the team.  But you could argue that Mateo has been a valued member of the team for the past couple years and that pinch hitting Stowers for him was a slap in the face to Mateo, especially when Mateo hasn't been the automatic out that Mullins has been lately.

I get where you are coming from but disagree. 

You had 2 viable bench bats in Mountcastle and to a lesser extent Stowers. Mountcastle was there to hit if he could tie it. 

You can’t compare Mateo and Mullins offensively the last couple of years. 

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

There is just no way Hyde is going to PH a lefty for a lefty when you have your #9 hitter RHB coming up. If Cedric sucks so bad that you PH another lefty then he really has no business being in the lineup at all. We may be approaching that point soon but we're not there yet.

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

I get where you are coming from but disagree. 

You had 2 viable bench bats in Mountcastle and to a lesser extent Stowers. Mountcastle was there to hit if he could tie it. 

You can’t compare Mateo and Mullins offensively the last couple of years. 

But Mountcastle probably wasn't going to ever get up to tie it...I mean, maybe he would have, but after Gunnar you had Adley who was going to hit lefty, then you had lefty O'Hearn.  And then Tony who was gonna hit lefty if he had a chance to hit had the game not been decided yet.  

So because Hyde was a slave to the righty/lefty matchup, he left his best bat on the bench.  And he would have for the rest of the inning had things gone differently.  He wouldn't pinch hit for Westy.  He probably wouldn't pinch hit for Cowser.  You'd have to wait until extra innings when Hays, Mullins and Mateo got up to bat to find a spot to put Mounty in there, so why not just do it in the 9th somewhere?

I don't consider Stowers a viable bench bat in that situation.  I can see why some would, I just don't see it right now.  125 at bats in the majors, 43 strikeouts, and 8 walks.  

Mateo...not a good hitter overall, but has been surprisingly decent lately.  And you want to get him on base because of his speed, he can score from first.  I don't see how Stowers for him is a great swap...but like Mullins being so bad, I don't think Stowers had much of a chance right there despite being a lefty.  Stowers hasn't flashed much at all in his time in the big leagues...now part of that is because he hasn't received consistent playing time but that's another debate for another thread.

Getting back to Mullins being an automatic out, I'd have preferred to see Stowers hit for Mullins if Hyde was so hell bent on getting Stowers in there.  I'd have let Mateo take his chances.

I'm not comping Mateo and Mullins offensively.  What I am saying is that I don't think Hyde wanted to pinch hit for Mullins in that spot because he's a veteran leader on the team and he doesn't want to show that he doesn't have confidence in him....despite Mullins having given every reason to not have confidence in him for awhile now.

I'm saying that Mateo, despite being a severely flawed offensive player, has been a relatively important part of the team these past couple years and he's done everything he's been asked to do with a smile on his face.  Stowers for Mateo, even though it was the right move from a matchup perspective wasn't a good move for political/clubhouse reasons.  Pinch hitting someone who's barely broken his rookie status for a vet like Mateo?  I dunno, I didn't like it.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm glad it's all about reverence for valued members of the team instead of trying to win.  Mullins has been terrible offensively and should see some serious bench time until he starts hitting at least some.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It not a knock on Mateo the players know the numbers as well.  You pull a guy that struggles against righties and pitcher that eats them up not huge deal.  However you know the numbers and how well lefties hit against pitcher and pull lefty why are you even playing him at all anymore.  Mullins has struggled for about 3 weeks before that he was hitting decent.   We are gonna need Mullins some down the stretch and he needs chances to get at bats.