Keegan Akin 2024

Frobby

23 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Doesnt change the fact that the Orioles have no shot in the postseason without Grod.

Last year we had Bradish, Grod and Kremer start our three postseason games and nobody was saying we had no chance.  Burnes > Bradish and I love Bradish.  Eflin = 2023 Grod and it will be Kremer again or someone who pitches better down the stretch.  The difference in 2024 is the offense is better and the lineup is much deeper.  Mullins went 0-12 in the three games, Hicks got 8 ABs, Frazier had 5 ABs, Mateo had 5 ABs.  We scored 11 runs in those three games.  This collection of offensive talent is what will have to carry us through in the playoffs.  I am not saying that they will just that I think they are capable of doing it.

I didn't realize this... "A player needs to spend at least 20 days on optional assignment in a given season for that to count as one of their options."  

Akin wasn't down very long when we did option him this year.  Meaning, next year he would still have an option remaining.  It's always good to have a reliever with an option.  

12 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Akin looked incredible vs the Mets.   Man it would be nice to have another real weapon on the back end.

I’m one of Akin’s bigger supporters.  I don’t think he’s quite a back end reliever but he’s very valuable being used as he was last night.   

Akin was fantastic last night. Especially notable as his usage went completely against the Hyde/Sigbot pattern: he extended Akin for a second inning even when other arms were available, and he was matched up against all RHB in the second inning (including JD). But we have seen flashes like this from Akin before. I am not ready to trust him although he is probably doing enough to make the playoff roster. 

Akin can be hittable at times but when he's on, he really makes it look effortless. 

I can see him being used in the postseason similar to Hall was last year, and similar to last night's game-- entering in the middle innings of a tied or narrowly trailing game and keeping it close for a couple innings. 

Akin was absolutely dealing last night, carved up a bunch of righties. He’s down to a 2.99 FIP, 2.62 xERA on the season.

Akin is fantastic as the 2 IP bulk middle reliever, but we need to have reliable back end RP to have him in that role. It’s time to try him in some higher leverage roles again.