Bullpen

phxosfan

Just now, phxosfan said:

This is not just about today. It is the philosophy not keeping a pitcher in a game when he is throwing very well. As for Cano, he has already pitched in 5 games this year and the rock is no MOUNTAIN! I would be saying the same thing if Cano threw 8 pitches and looked dominant in the eighth inning since Kimbrel was not available.

Sure, Akin was effective. He also gave up a fly ball to the warning track on an 0-2 pitch. You say the Rock is not the Mountain, I would submit that Keegan Akin has made it quite clear over his career that he isn't, either. Cano was held out of yesterday's game to be the closer today. No way was he not coming in.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

Sure, Akin was effective. He also gave up a fly ball to the warning track on an 0-2 pitch. You say the Rock is not the Mountain, I would submit that Keegan Akin has made it quite clear over his career that he isn't, either. Cano was held out of yesterday's game to be the closer today. No way was he not coming in.

The flyout was hit barely over 300’ and had an xBA of .010

• Upvote 2

Bringing in Cano made sense there. 

The pen has been fine but Bautista made them a lot better than fine last year, and his absence was really felt these last two late/close games. 

A hitter for reliever trade would do a lot for this team. 

I felt that we learned Cano is not a closer last year. Great set up, gets grounders, not a lot of Ks.

I wonder where Kimbrell was. We paid the man 13 million; he can't work on back to back days? If Kimbrell truly couldn't go, then I do think you keep rolling with Akin there. Were seeing early that were are short 1 good relief arm and 1 good starter

5 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I felt that we learned Cano is not a closer last year. Great set up, gets grounders, not a lot of Ks.

I wonder where Kimbrell was. We paid the man 13 million; he can't work on back to back days? If Kimbrell truly couldn't go, then I do think you keep rolling with Akin there. Were seeing early that were are short 1 good relief arm and 1 good starter

It would have been 3 straight days for Kimbrel not just back to back. 

22 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

How can someone make a post like this and not even know that Kimbrel had pitched the first two games of the series?

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Idk. Wanna back off your Baumann over Webb preference. I can laugh at the 99 mph sinker. 

Idk.  Too early to say on Baumann.     Weren’t you going off on the bullpen even when Bautista and Cano were gold last June/July?

It’s what you do.

The O's bullpen has the 2nd fewest innings pitched in the sport right now: 35.1 IP, second after KC's 35 IP. We have the 4th lowest ERA at 1.78. We have the lowest WHIP in the game at 0.88 and the 2nd lowest average at .164. 

Nice start so far, particularly regarding the innings pitched. 

Other notes:

-Nice to see Baumann remember that he has a fastball. He looked determined to throw it, even shaking Adley twice in a row before throwing one. It set up the curve much better than whatever nonsense he was up to in his previous appearance. A side note: I know the narrative is his new delivery creates more rhythm, and maybe it does, but visually it looks pretty awkward and stiff to me. Either way, he blew away the side, so that was awesome. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, interloper said:

The O's bullpen has the 2nd fewest innings pitched in the sport right now: 35.1 IP, second after KC's 35 IP. We have the 4th lowest ERA at 1.78. We have the lowest WHIP in the game at 0.88 and the 2nd lowest average at .164. 

Other notes:

-Nice to see Baumann remember that he has a fastball. He looked determined to throw it, even shaking Adley twice in a row before throwing one. It set up the curve much better than whatever nonsense he was up to in his previous appearance. A side note: I know the narrative is his new delivery creates more rhythm, and maybe it does, but visually it looks pretty awkward and stiff to me. Either way, he blew away the side, so that was awesome. 

23 minutes ago, interloper said:

Other notes:

This was my thought when I saw Baumann shake off Rutschman.  Maybe.  Maybe not.  But it happens.

The fake shake

December 19, 2012 by Coach McCreary  
Filed under Catching, Pitching

I saw this video clip the other day and I thought it would be a good thing to pass along for those who are catchers.  Click on the link below and watch:

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1684493/Strikeout_10.gif

You’ll notice that before the catcher gives the sign to the pitcher, he shakes his head a couple times.  The purpose of that is to get the pitcher to shake his head also as if he is “shaking off” the catcher’s sign.  Of course, he isn’t shaking off the sign.  The catcher just wants the batter to think the pitcher is shaking off the catcher’s sign.

So why on earth would the catcher want to do that?

Well, some hitters (some would say most hitters) think way too much when they enter the box.  Other hitters are guess hitters meaning they count on being able to guess what the pitcher is going to throw.  Having the pitcher pretend he is shaking off a pitch is an attempt to get a batter confused as to what may be coming.  Here is an example:

A batter has a 2-0 count on him.  At most levels, there is about a 99% chance of a fastball coming next.  The batter, the pitcher, the catcher, and everyone else in the park knows this.  If the batter sees the pitcher shake off the catcher, he may start to think along these lines … “It’s a 2-0 count.  The catcher had to have signaled for a fastball.  But the pitcher shook him off twice.  Does that mean a fastball is not coming?  Or is it a trick to get me to think something other than a fastball is coming?”  Either way, the desired goal was achieved.  It got the batter thinking.  

It’s easy to say that a batter should never let this kind of stuff impact his thoughts.  Batters should just focus on seeing the ball out of the pitcher’s hand.  However, there is no way to shut off our brain which is why this tactic still can be effective even at the major league level.