Enrique Bradfield Jr. 2024

Frobby

1 hour ago, oriolefan1035 said:

I recall checking the box scores towards the end of Etzel’s time in Aberdeen and he was in CF with Bradfield in a corner OF. 

They switched them around a lot to give them experience at several positions. Bradfield covers more ground than anyone in CF, including Mullins.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Speaking of the Fangraphs article, I was surprised to see them give Bradfield a 45/60 grade on defense.  Bradfield will need to be better than 60 to carve out a role in the majors IMO.

Maybe they're adding in his sub par arm. He doesn't always take the best routes but he can still out run some balls. 

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Maybe they're adding in his sub par arm. He doesn't always take the best routes but he can still out run some balls. 

Separately, they give his arm a 40, so I expect that isn't included in the fielding grade.   They do have him with 80 speed.

59 minutes ago, oriolefan1035 said:

I recall checking the box scores towards the end of Etzel’s time in Aberdeen and he was in CF with Bradfield in a corner OF. 

Once.

He last played CF on June 2nd-likely the box you saw.  He had not supplanted EBJ in CF prior to his promotion if he played there once in ~20 games.  He got his reps in CF mostly when EBJ was on the injured list.  

He's not viewed as a superior defender or baserunner to EBJ by any scouting report I have seen.  Yes, Etzel is showing plus attributes but EBJ has 70 and 80 grades-they're not comparable in that regard.  Yes Etzel was deservedly promoted quicker but that doesn't mean he is more valued by the Orioles or other teams.      

On 6/27/2024 at 12:22 PM, Frobby said:

League average: .234/.329/.372

Bradfield: .258/.336/.363

Basically, he’s a league average hitter who’s a prolific base stealer and presumably a very good defender.  You could justify promoting him with that track record, but there’s certainly no rush.  

Found the breakdown I was looking for. 

April he was 231/324/340

May 284/353/382

June 286/371/376

he’s definitely performed better after the initial cold streak, whether he was adapting to tweaks we tried to make or just a slow start. Would still like to see more impact, but is definitely settling in. League average slug from a guy known for having no power…not terrible. Hopefully it continues to Tick up and he gets some aa experience before the end of the year. 

Edited by OsFanInOhio

On 6/27/2024 at 12:22 PM, Frobby said:

League average: .234/.329/.372

Bradfield: .258/.336/.363

Basically, he’s a league average hitter who’s a prolific base stealer and presumably a very good defender.  You could justify promoting him with that track record, but there’s certainly no rush.  

Is Aberdeen a pitcher's park relative to the league, though?  Bradfield is one of the best hitters on the Ironbirds--are they below average on offense as a team or does the park hold their numbers back?  I know lots of O's prospects have struggled to put up numbers at Aberdeen.  

1 hour ago, Three Run Homer said:

Is Aberdeen a pitcher's park relative to the league, though?  Bradfield is one of the best hitters on the Ironbirds--are they below average on offense as a team or does the park hold their numbers back?  I know lots of O's prospects have struggled to put up numbers at Aberdeen.  

Aberdeen is definitely a pitcher's park. Many have suggested there's something with the batter's eye that's extremely punitive.

This is from 2019 and earlier, but has the park factor at Aberdeen being at best neutral and mostly negative:

https://billpetti.github.io/minor_league_park_factors/

8 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

3-4 with a walk today

And 2 steals. Good enough to put him at .726 OPS and 39 SB through June. Cowser only put up a .795 OPS there.

All things considered, EBJ only maybe is slightly under where we hoped he would be. I’d still like to see him finish up in Bowie. 

The ASB is June 15-18. Any word on if EBJ has made the team?  I think we could see him promoted afterwards possibly???

Edited by sportsfan8703

16 hours ago, SemperFi said:

Once.

He last played CF on June 2nd-likely the box you saw.  He had not supplanted EBJ in CF prior to his promotion if he played there once in ~20 games.  He got his reps in CF mostly when EBJ was on the injured list.  

He's not viewed as a superior defender or baserunner to EBJ by any scouting report I have seen.  Yes, Etzel is showing plus attributes but EBJ has 70 and 80 grades-they're not comparable in that regard.  Yes Etzel was deservedly promoted quicker but that doesn't mean he is more valued by the Orioles or other teams.      

Yet. At the end of the day, tools are what get you the big draft bonus money, but performance is what will get you to the major leagues.

I 100% agree with your statement about Bradfield and I still have him high despite Etzel getting the quicker promotion and doing better as a pro. 

I believe they will promote Bradfield to AA soon unless they have him working on something specific and think he still needs to work on them in A Ball. 

Once Fabian or Beavers gets promoted to AAA, that will open up a spot for Bradfield to get some AAA reps. I think his performance there will give us a better indication of what they have in him.

10 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Aberdeen is definitely a pitcher's park. Many have suggested there's something with the batter's eye that's extremely punitive.

This is from 2019 and earlier, but has the park factor at Aberdeen being at best neutral and mostly negative:

Small-ish batters eye and deep power alleys. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Bradfield has put up a line of .326/.404/.449/.853 in his home games, so I don't think the park is bothering him much.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, 733baseball said:

Small-ish batters eye and deep power alleys. 

What I have heard about the batter's eye is that it is made of some kind of mesh and at certain time of day, light shines through it.   This was from a Darrell Hernaiz interview a couple of years ago.   Also, the lights aren't that good, per Hernaiz.  

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

What I have heard about the batter's eye is that it is made of some kind of mesh and at certain time of day, light shines through it.   This was from a Darrell Hernaiz interview a couple of years ago.   Also, the lights aren't that good, per Hernaiz.  

IIRC, there were complaints about auxiliary lights past the outfield. If they're the ones I'm thinking of, they're no longer on during games.