Holliday called up!

jcaponio

1 minute ago, interloper said:

He's got a few years of control left, is a gold glove 3B, and historically a league average hitter. You'd think he's a fit somewhere around the league for the low low price of two 17-year-olds. 

I know he won a gold glove and has hit league average, but does anyone expect either of those things moving forward?

I think he's a solid fielder without plus range or arm, and likely a below league average hitter. He's a dime a dozen guy that is overvalued here, IMO. Certainly seems like a good dude who fits well, but I don't see anyone giving up value for him.

3 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

Agreed, the move makes too much sense for Elias and too little sense for Rubenstein. It's honestly a bit silly to even bring up and makes me wonder as to why that thought would even enter your head.

The thought of Rubenstein making the call for Holliday? Look, I doubt that happened but this move also goes against everything we have seen Elias do in the past.  The difference between now and the past is Rubenstein. 

Just now, LookinUp said:

I know he won a gold glove and has hit league average, but does anyone expect either of those things moving forward?

I think he's a solid fielder without plus range or arm, and likely a below league average hitter. He's a dime a dozen guy that is overvalued here, IMO. Certainly seems like a good dude who fits well, but I don't see anyone giving up value for him.

Yeah I mean maybe most teams kind of have this type of guy in the minors for cheaper. It's tough. He might make sense for a team that is simply trying to improve as much as possible, like the Royals or Tigers. (Without looking up their rosters). 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

He's got a few years of control left, is a gold glove 3B, and historically a league average hitter. You'd think he's a fit somewhere around the league for the low low price of two 17-year-olds. 

It's not that Urias is a terrible player (despite the lunatic ravings of Jason LaCanfora). The Orioles are so loaded with talent now that a player like Urias is expendable.

1 minute ago, RVAOsFan said:

The thought of Rubenstein making the call for Holliday? Look, I doubt that happened but this move also goes against everything we have seen Elias do in the past.  The difference between now and the past is Rubenstein. 

Seems like you’re trying to have it both ways. We all highly doubt Rubinstein had anything to do with this.   

1 hour ago, jincargo said:

Not to be that guy, but if it's so important to the Orioles...why isn't it retired?

Glad he gets #7.   Good deal.

It wasn't even his number for all the time he wore an Oriole uniform.   Cal Sr was a uniformed Oriole coach/manager from 1976-1992, 17 years.    Belanger wore 7 for the Orioles from 1976-1981.  Cal Sr was something in the 40s.   Not sure exactly when he switched to 7.

Urias has been a good player for us but it's Mayo time.  A lotto ticket trade is fine.  Keep the bus moving.  I'd still move ROH for Kjerstad.  If Hays doesn't get going, Norby and Stowers are waiting.   I want all the kids in Baltimore.  Uncle Dave has plenty of money for extensions.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

The Kemp deal was always to DFA in mind and pocket a guy in AAA in case of injury on the big league club. No one is going to touch that million I don't think and we will be nestled at Norfolk, waiting in the wings.

The other odd thing was that Kemp was already plan B, as we had Kolton Wong in camp and he was going to be the Holliday placeholder.   They must have seen something over the course of the spring that made them think that Wong was SO bad that he was not even adequate for that role, so they went out and got Kemp.

13 minutes ago, SteveA said:

It wasn't even his number for all the time he wore an Oriole uniform.   Cal Sr was a uniformed Oriole coach/manager from 1976-1992, 17 years.    Belanger wore 7 for the Orioles from 1976-1981.  Cal Sr was something in the 40s.   Not sure exactly when he switched to 7.

He was 47, in pretty sure, before he was 7.  

• Upvote 1