Dylan Beavers 2024

Just Regular

53 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I don't doubt Tony's assessment of tools, but I'm not as down on Beavers' as this thread seems to be. Remember, he was always the guy who had the physical stature but hadn't gotten to his power yet. It was always supposed to be the last tool to come. 

I also don't want to over react to small sample sizes here. Beavers is in AA for the first time this year. Yes, numbers tend to go up there, but it's also been April/May weather, first time in the league, etc etc.

With all of that said, he has 3 HR and 5 2B in 25 games. Over 150 game season, that's 18 HR and 30 2B. That's his pace while playing his first games in AA in relatively cold weather.

If he can turn into that type of hitter at the ML level and play plus defense at the corners, he'll be a very valuable player. That's not easy to do, and the profile is different from the power potential that all of Cowser, Kjerstad and Stowers have, but it's still useful, and there's still time for more power to come through.

Beavers had 156 PA in AA last year. He's up to 266 career PA in AA with a .874 OPS, which isn't shabby, but is definitely a step behind the kind of numbers Mayo, Kjerstad, and Cowser put up there. That said, I generally agree with the premise that plenty of guys have made successful careers as corner outfielders by hitting doubles, putting 15 or so over the fence every year, generally being a tough out at the plate, and playing defense. I do think his best value to the O's may come as a trade piece to a team that wants to see if there's more power in there.

31 minutes ago, deward said:

Beavers had 156 PA in AA last year. 

Ugh. Stupid BBref site sorts different than I expected. I didn't see that he played there last year, and clearly forgot.

• 2 weeks later...

Some good AL East and Orioles Hangout famous flavor to the young enough bats looking like the Eastern League's best prospects.

Zac Veen, NYY Agustin Ramirez, Beavers and the Red Sox Marcelo Mayer and Kyle Teel are the Top 5 age-22 and under bats by wRC+

Beavers did HR last night as we watch how much his power can grow this year.

On 5/10/2024 at 10:24 AM, deward said:

Beavers had 156 PA in AA last year. He's up to 266 career PA in AA with a .874 OPS, which isn't shabby, but is definitely a step behind the kind of numbers Mayo, Kjerstad, and Cowser put up there. That said, I generally agree with the premise that plenty of guys have made successful careers as corner outfielders by hitting doubles, putting 15 or so over the fence every year, generally being a tough out at the plate, and playing defense. I do think his best value to the O's may come as a trade piece to a team that wants to see if there's more power in there.

This profile is exactly Markakis.  And every Oriole fan would be happy with another Markakis.  Markakis is probably 85% of a Hall of Fame player.  

59 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

This profile is exactly Markakis.  And every Oriole fan would be happy with another Markakis.  Markakis is probably 85% of a Hall of Fame player.  

His hit tool is equal to Markakis?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, IPlayGM said:

His hit tool is equal to Markakis?

When Markakis was Beavers’ age he was putting up a .799 OPS in the majors.  

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

When Markakis was Beavers’ age he was putting up a .799 OPS in the majors.  

Yeah, kinda why I asked the question. That seems real lofty for a comparison.

1 hour ago, IPlayGM said:

Yeah, kinda why I asked the question. That seems real lofty for a comparison.

Also, here’s their age 21 seasons:

Markakis: .859 at A+, .992 at AA.

Beavers: .832 at A+, .894 at AA

Though Markakis clearly was a bit better, it says a lot about the relative quality of our farm system and major league team that Markakis was jumped to the majors while Beavers was returned to AA.

Another homer today, so 3 in the last 5 games. 6 on the season and up to a .880 OPS. Maybe the power stroke is finally starting to show up?

That’s really the only thing that’s been lacking in his game so far, especially given his power potential. 

7 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Another homer today, so 3 in the last 5 games. 6 on the season and up to a .880 OPS. Maybe the power stroke is finally starting to show up?

That’s really the only thing that’s been lacking in his game so far, especially given his power potential. 

True.  Let’s see if he can maintain the average and plate discipline while doing it.  If so, a very nice development.   Saw him turn on one the other day and it went out fast.