O’s Acquire RP Yohan Ramírez from Mets

ArtVanDelay

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Ok.  If the world doesn’t end, Ramirez probably goes when Means comes back.

I am not talking about the world ending.  More likely other injuries or non performance happens.

18 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

After Heasley's outing yesterday, I'd be shocked if he's not optioned back to Norfolk with Ramirez taking his spot. Saying that, Ramirez is not really a length guy.

His sinker isn't moving quite as much as it did last year and is down a little bit in velocity, but he's added a curveball that has good movement and no one has hit yet. He seems like a 7th option bullpen guy similar to Heasley, but with added ability get some groundballs.

The Orioles are probably going to have a revolving door with that 7th bullpen option this again.

Vespi has gone at least 2 innings in each of his outings so far. He last pitched 4/10, so he should be ready to go if needed.

He'd be the guy I'd want called up right now.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I am not talking about the world ending.  More likely other injuries or non performance happens.

Right.  Obviously, when I talk about Ramirez going when Means comes back it doesn’t take into account the unpredictable things that can happen.

I’ll try to use a disclaimer in the future.

On March 29, first baseman Rhys Hoskins’ hard slide at second base caused a confrontation with New York Mets infielder Jeff McNeil. A day later, Hoskins hit a two-run single in a three-run first inning, blasted a two-run homer in the third and singled and scored on a balk in the fifth by starting pitcher Luis Severino.

Yohan Ramírez’s first pitch to Hoskins in the seventh sailed well behind the right-handed hitter, who dropped his bat and glared at Ramírez as the reliever raced to pick up the ball, which caromed off the backstop. Ramírez — whom the Orioles acquired in a cash trade Wednesday — was ejected by plate umpire Lance Barrett and said after the game that he was not intentionally throwing at Hoskins.

Ramírez was suspended three games, but he appealed and had the suspension reduced to two games, which he served last week

29 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

On March 29, first baseman Rhys Hoskins’ hard slide at second base caused a confrontation with New York Mets infielder Jeff McNeil. A day later, Hoskins hit a two-run single in a three-run first inning, blasted a two-run homer in the third and singled and scored on a balk in the fifth by starting pitcher Luis Severino.

Yohan Ramírez’s first pitch to Hoskins in the seventh sailed well behind the right-handed hitter, who dropped his bat and glared at Ramírez as the reliever raced to pick up the ball, which caromed off the backstop. Ramírez — whom the Orioles acquired in a cash trade Wednesday — was ejected by plate umpire Lance Barrett and said after the game that he was not intentionally throwing at Hoskins.

Ramírez was suspended three games, but he appealed and had the suspension reduced to two games, which he served last week

And now Ramirez might pitch against Hoskins at some point this weekend.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

After Heasley's outing yesterday, I'd be shocked if he's not optioned back to Norfolk with Ramirez taking his spot. Saying that, Ramirez is not really a length guy.

His sinker isn't moving quite as much as it did last year and is down a little bit in velocity, but he's added a curveball that has good movement and no one has hit yet. He seems like a 7th option bullpen guy similar to Heasley, but with added ability get some groundballs.

The Orioles are probably going to have a revolving door with that 7th bullpen option this again.

You were spot on in says he's not a length guy. By the time he hit 30 pitches, his command was gone and he cocouldn'hit a barn.

He might be OK in short bursts.

Looks like a situation where Elias is trying to acquire a project with stuff we like to plug the RH RP role that we didn’t fill in the offseason. 94/95 mph fastball/sinker, throws a lot of sweepers. 

I prefer him over Heasley. I like Baker and Vespi too in AAA, but Ramirez has some upside if we can get him figured out. 

9 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Looks like a situation where Elias is trying to acquire a project with stuff we like to plug the RH RP role that we didn’t fill in the offseason. 94/95 mph fastball/sinker, throws a lot of sweepers. 

I prefer him over Heasley. I like Baker and Vespi too in AAA, but Ramirez has some upside if we can get him figured out. 

Yeah, stuff-wise it's no contest over Heasley or even Baumann. Nasty sweeper and a live fastball. I would love it if we can sort him out a little bit. Sounds like he was throwing way too many fastballs for the Mets. 

On 4/11/2024 at 7:53 PM, jeff since 66 world series said:

Batters beware.

129 career innings, 24 HBP. 

Just wow.

Not afraid to pitch inside, I see 😬

Maybe Adley can set up for a pitch a foot off of the plate and maybe he'll hit the corner instead. 

On 4/11/2024 at 7:53 PM, jeff since 66 world series said:

Batters beware.

129 career innings, 24 HBP. 

Just wow.

He hit another batter in his first appearance with BAL.   Now 25 HBP in 132 career IP.

I thought this was insanely high.  I did some research at BB-Ref and...yeah, it's insanely high. 

I looked at every pitcher in the top 1000 for career hit batsmen (the cutoff is 34 career HBP).  I found only four pitchers with a ratio of HBP to IP higher than 0.1 (i.e. one hit batsman every 10 IP), and three of them pitched mostly or entirely before 1900.  They are:

Ed Doheny, 141 career hit batsmen in 1405 IP

Danny Friend, 60 career hit batsment in 551.2 IP

Randy Choate, 45 career hit batsmen in 408 IP

Gus Shallix, 39 career hit batsmen in 291 IP

Anyway, Yohan Ramirez is off the charts even compared to these pitchers, with a HBP rate approaching 2 every 10 IP.  I conjecture that this is the highest ratio of all time for any pitcher above (say) 100 career IP, but would need more research to verify this.