Jud Fabian, 2024

DirtyBird

29 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I still think he will be what Hays is this year. RHB that plays CF and LF vs LHP. I don’t think Elias has any interest in trading him.

Those are great roles for him. If we can get Fabian to a be a platoon CF option in the MLB, and Norby in COF, then that pairs well with our LH bats. 

Our OF next year might not be sexy, but it could be 

Cowser

Stowers/Fabian

Kjerstad/Norby

With Beavers in the mix in the 2nd half. 

Hate to say this but unless Fabian makes significant changes I think he tops out as a AAAA up and down guy similar to McKenna.   He is a mistake hitter to the extreme.  Give him a fastball middle in to middle away or a hanger and he can take it out.  The power is real and he doesn’t over swing to get to it.   That’s the good news. But the 23 walks to 70 strikeouts, the 7 doubles in 60 games, and the sub .250 average all point to a guy who’s just not a very good hitter.  

If any team wants him back as part of a trade package I wouldn’t hesitate to include him.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Hate to say this but unless Fabian makes significant changes I think he tops out as a AAAA up and down guy similar to McKenna.   He is a mistake hitter to the extreme.  Give him a fastball middle in to middle away or a hanger and he can take it out.  The power is real and he doesn’t over swing to get to it.   That’s the good news. But the 23 walks to 70 strikeouts, the 7 doubles in 60 games, and the sub .250 average all point to a guy who’s just not a very good hitter.  

If any team wants him back as part of a trade package I wouldn’t hesitate to include him.

I don’t think that always says you are a AAAA. Mullins hit a curveball right down the middle out yesterday. Cowser hit a fastball down the middle the day before. Plus defense and an occasional HR is about 80% of starting CF in the league right now.

2 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I don’t think that always says you are a AAAA. Mullins hit a curveball right down the middle out yesterday. Cowser hit a fastball down the middle the day before. Plus defense and an occasional HR is about 80% of starting CF in the league right now.

An example of this would be Tyler Freeman for the Guardians yesterday. He is the staring CF for team with best record in baseball.

8 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

An example of this would be Tyler Freeman for the Guardians yesterday. He is the staring CF for team with best record in baseball.

Fabian is a career .238 hitter in the minors.  Freeman is a .311.  BA isn’t everything but it only gets harder from AA to AAA to MLB.   Yeah, if he can maintain the power and the sub .250 average as he advances he could be something.   You betting on that?

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Fabian is a career .238 hitter in the minors.  Freeman is a .311.  BA isn’t everything but it only gets harder from AA to AAA to MLB.   Yeah, if he can maintain the power and the sub .250 average as he advances he could be something.   You betting on that?

We can nitpick what numbers are important but there OPS are the same. That’s in 2 seasons for Fabian compared to 6 seasons for Freeman.

13 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

We can nitpick what numbers are important but there OPS are the same. That’s in 2 seasons for Fabian compared to 6 seasons for Freeman.

Ok.  No problem.   You get fewer mistakes as you advance.  JMO

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

AAAA and weak side(RH) of a CF platoon are not that far apart.  That role would be valuable to us given all the LH OF we have.  

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

AAAA and weak side(RH) of a CF platoon are not that far apart.  That role would be valuable to us given all the LH OF we have.  

Well, I said I could see him as similar to McKenna.