Anthony Santander 2024

DirtyBird

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

So how big a contract would you be willing to give him?   I won’t be surprised if he gets 5/$100 mm — are you in favor of paying him that much if that’s what it takes?

Of course, there's the spectrum of Chris Davis... But Santander is not Davis. There were clear holes in Davis' swing, even when he was mashing in 2014 and before. Everyone knew that, including Duquette, who didn't want to give him that contract, but was forced by Angelos.

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

So how big a contract would you be willing to give him?   I won’t be surprised if he gets 5/$100 mm — are you in favor of paying him that much if that’s what it takes?

I would absolutely go 4/80, although as you said we may have missed the boat with those figures. I would certainly consider 5/100. Our outfield and roster will have a big giant hole in the OF next year if he's gone. I dont want to have to rely and hope on a "bounce back" from Mullins for the 4th straight year. Just plugging in Kjerstad, while promising, is also a huge question mark and puts out OF at completely left handed which is not ideal. If we find a RH LF who hits like Santander then it makes more sense to let him walk, but I dont see a bunch of those just laying around. Add in Tony's familiarity and defense in RF at Camden Yards and his place in the locker room- I think we need to explore very seriously what it would take to keep him. 

Kjerstad/Cowser/Santander > Cowser/Mullins/Kjerstad to me. 

I would look at trading Mounty and Mullins to save on those arbitration figures and use that to explore a Tony extension.

Edited by terpoh

Over the next 5 years who do you think will be a better right fielder offensively and defensively?   Santander or Kjerstad?

Then consider the cost.  Santander 100M,  Kjerstad 18M

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Over the next 5 years who do you think will be a better right fielder offensively and defensively?   Santander or Kjerstad?

Then consider the cost.  Santander 100M,  Kjerstad 18M

It is about just that clear.     Santander is earning a contract that is probably going to carry through Adley FA year 2028, if not also Gunnar FA year 2029.

My basic hope for the Rubenstein tenure is the ~2029 club will venture to carry two ~$20M+ AAV numbers on the books.    The top two is clear - I don't really expect three.     

For the same reason I'm generally agnostic on a surprise vigorous Burnes pursuit.   

I love Santander. But I think Elias and ownership is going to be strategic with how they spend whatever money they have available. With the boatload of position prospects at the MLB level right now, the O's are in such a flexible position with money. They can put out an above average (at least) 9 hitters next year while paying next to nothing. And that is still with some decent position prospects still in the system.

I don't think re-signing Santander would be a strategic move, unless his market really doesn't develop. Re-signing him would be a move for the clubhouse and the fanbase, and a loyalty to Santander. I don't see it happening.

Truthfully, I don't really have an idea of how the O's will end up spending whatever money they have. Will they invest significant money on starting pitching? Will they lock up the young guys with long-term deals?

But I don't think signing Santander would be the most strategic move. He's coming off of a career year. Both offensively and defensively. If he loses his power, he loses his offensive value. Yes, if the O's lose Santander, they'll have to replace his production. But even if they keep Santander, they likely won't be fully replacing his production.

Edited by dzorange

Anecdotally, neither of Carlos Correa or George Springer have been part of an Astros Elimination yet in AL competition.

An approximate basic pecking order in the American League has been in place since the Astros beat the Yankees in the 2015 wildcard game that year around when Jorge Mateo and Aaron Judge were 1-2 on NYY prospect lists.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I love the guy, he is steady and positive and (I believe) a very good influence on the younger players.

I'd definitely let him walk.

I love the guy too, but I can't imagine he'll sign here for something that won't make me resent him by the time the contract is up. And an outfielder is something we're much better equipped to replace. Save the money for pitching/extensions.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, ORIOLE33 said:

Santander would be in the MVP conversation if he didn't get off to such a slow start. The O's need to reward the man that was with us during the bad year and pay him. 

I’ve got to counter that and say that Aaron Judge also got off to a slow start, and he’s by far and away the leader in the MVP race.  I love Santander, but you aren’t winning the MVP with a .700 OPS through the first two months of the season.  He plays the game very well, has improved his defense and is an important part of our team.  But, he’s not an MVP level player.  He’s very good, and we know he can go on ridiculous hot stretches. I play super deep 30 team fantasy baseball leagues and since May, I have not lost an offensive week because I have Judge and Santander.  So I know very well how hot he can get since I see it every day- and am likely to win some good money this year because of it. 

At least to me, It’s pretty clear that the team is planning for Santander to walk in free agency.  With Kjerstad/Mayo/O’Hearn/Mountcastle still here, even if you pull Mountcastle in a trade this off-season, that’s still your daily ABs taken up for RF/1B/DH. 

I thought there was a small chance we would re-sign Santander, but after they brought in Eflin and have $18m to pay him next year, I immediately went to the recent activity.  Hays was traded, rumors of Mullins/Mountcastle being on the block and now Santander’s pending FA.  Eflin’s contract is basically paid next year with Hays off the books, Santander a FA and a non-tender of Mullins (or a trade of either him or Mountcastle.) 

Anthony has been a great story for us, and a great player and leader.  But the cold analytical side and financial side here is going to come into play.  I don’t see many scenarios where he is back next season.  

17 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I love the guy, he is steady and positive and (I believe) a very good influence on the younger players.

I'd definitely let him walk.

Hopefully he’s playing himself into a QO and turning it down.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, ORIOLE33 said:

Santander would be in the MVP conversation if he didn't get off to such a slow start. The O's need to reward the man that was with us during the bad year and pay him. 

He's not even in the Orioles MVP conversation. That's Gunnar by a landslide (especially if you "apples to apples" ignore Gunnar's defensive slump). I am a huge fan but I also recognize we have a pipeline of talent ready for OF/DH. Give him a QO and see where the negotiations go. 

13 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

I’ve got to counter that and say that Aaron Judge also got off to a slow start, and he’s by far and away the leader in the MVP race.  I love Santander, but you aren’t winning the MVP with a .700 OPS through the first two months of the season.  He plays the game very well, has improved his defense and is an important part of our team.  But, he’s not an MVP level player.  He’s very good, and we know he can go on ridiculous hot stretches. I play super deep 30 team fantasy baseball leagues and since May, I have not lost an offensive week because I have Judge and Santander.  So I know very well how hot he can get since I see it every day- and am likely to win some good money this year because of it. 

At least to me, It’s pretty clear that the team is planning for Santander to walk in free agency.  With Kjerstad/Mayo/O’Hearn/Mountcastle still here, even if you pull Mountcastle in a trade this off-season, that’s still your daily ABs taken up for RF/1B/DH. 

I thought there was a small chance we would re-sign Santander, but after they brought in Eflin and have $18m to pay him next year, I immediately went to the recent activity.  Hays was traded, rumors of Mullins/Mountcastle being on the block and now Santander’s pending FA.  Eflin’s contract is basically paid next year with Hays off the books, Santander a FA and a non-tender of Mullins (or a trade of either him or Mountcastle.) 

Anthony has been a great story for us, and a great player and leader.  But the cold analytical side and financial side here is going to come into play.  I don’t see many scenarios where he is back next season.  

I don't think Mullins gets non tendered.  Traded maybe.

• Upvote 1