Ryan O’Hearn 2024

Frobby

Maybe it's just recency bias,  but it seems O'Hearn has been on the wrong end of a lot of questionable strike calls in the last month, or so.   These have either been strike 3 calls, or calls that put him in pitcher's counts.  He has been a pro all year and was a great addition to this team.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For most of this season, I thought it was a foregone conclusion that we would pick up OHearn’s 7.5M option and keep him for next year.

Is that still the case?  While he has been “worth” 11M this year, he has really struggled since the AS break.

His statcast page is still good but not as good as last year. He is doing a good job of making contact and not striking out a lot. His Bb rate is also way up.

In his last 150 PA, dating back to late July, he has a 229/318/321 slash line.  The OBP isn’t bad but the slugging is terrible. He has only hit one homer in that span, to go with 7 doubles and a triple. His defense isn’t good and he continues to be a liability vs lefties.

He’s probably worth keeping around as a strong side platoon but the Os are going to have to create at bats for younger higher upside guys.

If Kjerstad is kept, they need to find at bats for him. They need to find at bats for Basallo, who could be up next year (although not to start).

I think Santander is gone, which likely means there is a place for OHearn and I won’t be upset if he’s back but the teams need to get a little more right handed and to find spots for the young bats could impact him.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

For most of this season, I thought it was a foregone conclusion that we would pick up OHearn’s 7.5M option and keep him for next year.

Is that still the case?  While he has been “worth” 11M this year, he has really struggled since the AS break.

His statcast page is still good but not as good as last year. He is doing a good job of making contact and not striking out a lot. His Bb rate is also way up.

In his last 150 PA, dating back to late July, he has a 229/318/321 slash line.  The OBP isn’t bad but the slugging is terrible. He has only hit one homer in that span, to go with 7 doubles and a triple. His defense isn’t good and he continues to be a liability vs lefties.

He’s probably worth keeping around as a strong side platoon but the Os are going to have to create at bats for younger higher upside guys.

If Kjerstad is kept, they need to find at bats for him. They need to find at bats for Basallo, who could be up next year (although not to start).

I think Santander is gone, which likely means there is a place for OHearn and I won’t be upset if he’s back but the teams need to get a little more right handed and to find spots for the young bats could impact him.

Just seems like this lineup cannot fire on all cylinders at once. Maybe they drop him down in the lineup for a while. I think he would have to really suck for us to pass on the option... but he has been really sucking for a while now. If the past is a pattern, they will keep him just because they like depth and injuries happen. Any time you can find value you take it. 

Just now, Aristotelian said:

Just seems like this lineup cannot fire on all cylinders at once. Maybe they drop him down in the lineup for a while. I think he would have to really suck for us to pass on the option... but he has been really sucking for a while now. If the past is a pattern, they will keep him just because they like depth and injuries happen. Any time you can find value you take it. 

And I question that he has much trade value. And I don’t think you just let him go without getting any value back but I think it’s at least possible now, which I didn’t think would be the case.

30 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Very concerning 2nd half slump. another one that needs to get it going. Mullins looks like He's back though. Need some help from Adley as well.

Things have been pretty tough for O’Hearn since Mountcastle got hurt.  In 17 games (14 starts) he’s hit .182/.237/.291.  He also made three errors last week, after making only two all season previously.  A couple of them were in critical situations, too.

He’s swinging outside the zone more than before, and missing some very hittable pitches.  You can see he’s pressing.  

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Things have been pretty tough for O’Hearn since Mountcastle got hurt.  In 17 games (14 starts) he’s hit .182/.237/.291.  He also made three errors last week, after making only two all season previously.  A couple of them were in critical situations, too.

He’s swinging outside the zone more than before, and missing some very hittable pitches.  You can see he’s pressing.  

Guess the bit of good news here is that kjerstad is looking good on his rehab assignment so far and can replace O'Hearn's bat in the lineup.  Not sure who is going to play first base though.........