Rowell Moves to Outfield

blakesta

We have heard that he has improved over at third...Obviously, if he reaches his potential, he is a better player for us if he is at third...Why not give him at least another year there?

He is still very young...Not like he is 22 or 23 and close to the majors.

He has made defensive progress.

Right now, as Tony said, he makes the majors because of his bat...So, why not keep him where he is comfortable and let him continue to improve his hitting...Then, at that point, you can move him to another position if you still feel that needs to happen.

Now, if Rowell went to the Orioles and said that he would feel more comfortable if they moved him to the OF, then i would have no issue with that...But to my knowledge, that hasn't happened.

I think you have some points here, but I believe Stockstill thinks that he was putting too much pressure on himself at third with his defense. I guess he thinks the pressure of moving to a new position is less than the pressure he was applying to himself. Dunno what's right here.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moving Rowell to RF means Brandon Tripp will likely move to LF if indeed Tripp repeats at Frederick. (This is me thinking out loud). In that case, it's a pretty loaded outfield with two solid arms at the corner OF spots and catch-it-all Angle patroling center.

I talked to Hebner last year, and the indications I got were that Rowell was going to move to the outfield down the road, and I was told this back at the end of July. I didn't realize that meant next season, so I can safely admit I'm a bit caught offguard. I do like the position of having him be in right field as he moves comfortably to his left better than he does to his right. I have to admit, I don't see his future in the outfield or at first base, but at DH.

It'll be good to catch up with Billy once camp breaks. I know Doc plans on talking with him, and I'll be sure to check in with him as well.

Another thing that is funny to me is the Orioles have waited and waited in moving guys like Liz and DH to the pen, when it seems obvious that is their likely destination, yet they move a 20 y/o player to a totally different position.

Apples and oranges, I think. Converting from a starter to a reliever is very easy for most pitchers. In fact, most major league relievers had several years as a starter, in the minors and sometimes in the majors.

Considering the Orioles' obvious need for young infielders, I'm sure they would not have moved Rowell to OF unless they thought it was necessary to allow him to develop better. Second guess it all you want, but unless you've seen him play a lot it's pretty hard to have any real basis to do so.

Apples and oranges, I think. Converting from a starter to a reliever is very easy for most pitchers. In fact, most major league relievers had several years as a starter, in the minors and sometimes in the majors.

Considering the Orioles' obvious need for young infielders, I'm sure they would not have moved Rowell to OF unless they thought it was necessary to allow him to develop better. Second guess it all you want, but unless you've seen him play a lot it's pretty hard to have any real basis to do so.

Is this for real?

Years and years of total ineptitude is plenty of basis....For all the strides the organization is making, player development is still awful.

He was making progress at third last year by all accounts we heard..he is only 20 years old and right now, we don't have much in the system at third, whereas we have some OFers.

So, right now, I don't see this as a good move or even one you can justify unless Rowell himself asked for it.

Is this for real?

Years and years of total ineptitude is plenty of basis....For all the strides the organization is making, player development is still awful.

He was making progress at third last year by all accounts we heard..he is only 20 years old and right now, we don't have much in the system at third, whereas we have some OFers.

So, right now, I don't see this as a good move or even one you can justify unless Rowell himself asked for it.

Being overdramatic again. What a surprise. :rolleyes:

The argument that we don't have much at 3rd and a lot in the OF isn't that good of an argument. We should be doing what is in the best interest of Rowell and if that is the OF, so be it. Really, we don't have any OF prospects at Bowie so it isnt like there is anyone directly blocking Rowell in the OF.

We also have to see if this move facilitate Snyder to 3B, which might be better long term. People have chimed in saying that both Snyder and Rowell could end up DHs down the line.

I am fine with the move and want to see how it plays out before calling it "unjustifiable."

The argument that we don't have much at 3rd and a lot in the OF isn't that good of an argument. We should be doing what is in the best interest of Rowell and if that is the OF, so be it. Really, we don't have any OF prospects at Bowie so it isnt like there is anyone directly blocking Rowell in the OF.

I agree. This is the same nonsensical thinking that The Trea has about the draft, where he wants to take a first baseman instead of a pitcher because we have a lot more pitching prospects than hitters (specifically first baseman). You take the best talent available, then develop it in a manner that is best for the player to reach his potential.

I agree the O's track record is awful with player development, but you can't condemn every move they make simply because of past failures. If we did, and they never did anything as a result of past failures, we'd never get any better at it.

I hate this move...He is young...You are now going to take him away from his comfort zone at third, put him in a new position and ask him to still be able to concentrate on improving his hitting?

Makes little sense to me.

Yeah, if Snyder plays a lot of third this year, then I don't hate this move as much.

I saw Rowell play a lot last year. He seemed to be making a lot of progress at 3rd to me, I personally felt he was decent at third. However, if Stockstill thinks Rowell will be better suited as an outfielder, I'll take his word for it.

If it were up to me though, Rowell would be playing 3rd this year as well as Snyder.

I have no basis to agree or disagree with your statement that "player development is still awful." But I'm pretty sure your basis for saying it is totally superficial.

Put it this way: I can assume that a large collection of men who all played and coached baseball for most of their lives, and who have watched Billy Rowell play and practice day in and day out for 3 seasons, have a solid basis for their decision. Or, I can assume that a diamond seller who has never played or coached professional baseball, and who (so far as I know) has never seen Billy Rowell play a single game, has a better basis for judgment about what is best for his professional development.

Being overdramatic again. What a surprise. :rolleyes:

We also have to see if this move facilitate Snyder to 3B, which might be better long term. People have chimed in saying that both Snyder and Rowell could end up DHs down the line.

I am fine with the move and want to see how it plays out before calling it "unjustifiable."

I agree...If Rowell feels this way, it is a good move...If he doesn't, it is a stupid move.

Moving Rowell to RF means Brandon Tripp will likely move to LF if indeed Tripp repeats at Frederick. (This is me thinking out loud). In that case, it's a pretty loaded outfield with two solid arms at the corner OF spots and catch-it-all Angle patroling center.
Where does Tripp go? As far as I know, he has played center and right field, don't think he has ever played LF. I'm sure he could, he is athletic enough to play just about anywhere. I'm surprised by this move....

While speculation, this is what AVencill offered earlier.

I have no basis to agree or disagree with your statement that "player development is still awful." But I'm pretty sure your basis for saying it is totally superficial.

Put it this way: I can assume that a large collection of men who all played and coached baseball for most of their lives, and who have watched Billy Rowell play and practice day in and day out for 3 seasons, have a solid basis for their decision. Or, I can assume that a diamond seller who has never played or coached professional baseball, and who (so far as I know) has never seen Billy Rowell play a single game, has a better basis for judgment about what is best for his professional development.

Good to know that you think the Orioles player development system has been right a lot over the past several years. :rolleyes:

Good to know that you think the Orioles player development system has been right a lot over the past several years. :rolleyes:

I already said I really had no basis to agree or disagree that player development is still awful. But I will say this -- Andy MacPhail built good farm systems in Minnesota and Chicago. He's been here long enough now to replace or reassign the people who are involved in player development if he thought they weren't capable. He brought in Brad Komminsk. He brought in Mike Griffin, and now has promoted Griffin from AA to AAA. He moved McGregor from Bowie to Aberdeen. Andy Etchebarren was sent packing. He brought in Richie Hebner when Tommy Thompson had personal issues. Those are a few moves I can think of off the top of my head, and I am sure there have been others. A core group of players made the playoffs in Frederick in 2007, and then won their division at Bowie in 2008, and there are quite a few players in that group who have made very steady progress as they have moved up the ladder. So to say that player development is "still awful," and infer that they aren't competent to decide whether Billy Rowell should change positions, is pretty presumptuous.

Archived