Tuesday, April 30: Orioles vs Yankees

SteveA

Gametime:  6:35 pm

Forecast:  82 degrees, partly cloudy

MatchupNestor Cortes (L) vs Dean Kremer (R)

Lineup

Orioles Bench
Heston Kjerstad (L)
Jorge Mateo (R)
Ryan O'Hearn (L)
Ramon Urias (R)

Orioles Bullpen

Available
Mike Baumann  (R)  1.0 IP, 15p Saturday

Yohan Ramirez (R)  1.1 IP, 21p Tuesday
Jacob Webb (R)   0.1 IP, 4p Sunday;  1.0 IP, 13p Friday 

Maybe Available
Keegan Akin (L)  2.0 IP, 32p Sunday;  0.2 IP, 6p Friday
Craig Kimbrel  (R)  0.0 IP, 14p Sunday;  0.1 IP, 24p Friday -- possibly not available due to sore back 

Probably Not Available
Cionel Perez (L)  1.0 IP, 13p last night;  1.1 IP, 21p Saturday at Norfolk

Not Available
Yennier Cano (R)   1.1 IP, 13p last night;  1.0 IP, 19p Sunday;  1.1 IP, 15p Friday 

Danny Coulombe (L)  1.0 IP, 12p last night;  0.2 IP, 9p Sunday;  0.2 IP, 15p Friday 

Edited by SteveA
  • Upvote 1

Nestor Cortes kills us. Crafty lefty / junkballer. Exactly the kind of guy who can put movement on the ball and be deceptive so our mistake-hitting lineup can do nothing.

I would suggest an approach of attrition. Since pitchers are on a strict pitch count these days, our guys should look to hold until 2 strikes, then defensively swing at and foul off anything close. Just wear out his pitch count as early as possible to open up their pen. Holmes pitched last night, so even if we do see him, he may be a little easier to hit if he's fatigued.

Of course, if they can actually barrel up some balls and get hits off of this guy, even better - but so far that hasn't happened with the O's against Cortes. By far the worst outcome would be to go up there and roll over early in every AB, giving him quick innings. Seeing a lot of pitches, even if we don't score, is a decent compromise. The Yanks can't pitch Holmes for 4 innings.

I couldn't care less about our consecutive series without a sweep streak.   You know when we were actually swept?  Ya immediately after winning 101 games and season ended in the blink of an eye.  So anytime that "streak" is brought  up I think of that.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, allquixotic said:

Nestor Cortes kills us. Crafty lefty / junkballer. Exactly the kind of guy who can put movement on the ball and be deceptive so our mistake-hitting lineup can do nothing.

I would suggest an approach of attrition. Since pitchers are on a strict pitch count these days, our guys should look to hold until 2 strikes, then defensively swing at and foul off anything close. Just wear out his pitch count as early as possible to open up their pen. Holmes pitched last night, so even if we do see him, he may be a little easier to hit if he's fatigued.

Of course, if they can actually barrel up some balls and get hits off of this guy, even better - but so far that hasn't happened with the O's against Cortes. By far the worst outcome would be to go up there and roll over early in every AB, giving him quick innings. Seeing a lot of pitches, even if we don't score, is a decent compromise. The Yanks can't pitch Holmes for 4 innings.

I think this was the case for past Orioles teams. The 2012-2016 teams. Cortes tore us up in 2022, but that was a very inexperienced team. I'd expect better with the type of hitters we have now.