Basallo for Miller y/n?

Philip

I am curious to see if OAK extends Miller any or if they leave him in Jonathan Papelbon mode through the trade deadline.

He was a starter in the Minors and until he endured his UCL strain about this time last year.

OAK has taken a lane like if after the January 2024 alarm we just made Kyle Bradish a reliever.

21 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I am curious to see if OAK extends Miller any or if they leave him in Jonathan Papelbon mode through the trade deadline.

He was a starter in the Minors and until he endured his UCL strain about this time last year.

OAK has taken a lane like if after the January 2024 alarm we just made Kyle Bradish a reliever.

They've said he will pitch 2024 in the bullpen and see how he holds up with eyes to possibly start next year.

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

Mullins is a CF, Miller is a closer who has already had a significant arm injury. The two are not equivalent. 

Basically they would want to trade him (given the high probability of pitcher’s injuries) if/before something happens to him.

Mullins is the best example from that phase of our rebuild. He had plenty of downside risk and has in fact regressed. 

Regardless, I still say find me a comparable trade that has occurred in history. Good player with 6 years of control on a rebuilding club. 

7 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Mullins is the best example from that phase of our rebuild. He had plenty of downside risk and has in fact regressed. 

Regardless, I still say find me a comparable trade that has occurred in history. Good player with 6 years of control on a rebuilding club. 

The A’s have an unprecedented situation, given the flux of the franchise and not having a future permanent place to call him right now. So their situation is a little different to begin with.

However, you might be right, they might take the risk not to trade him. But teams NEVER build around a closer (even one who appears to be as dominant as Miller). They are going to be bad this season and next with or without Miller because their team is not strong enough to get him enough chances and to win enough games independent of him. They do not have enough hitting talent to challenge TEX for the division or make a legit run as a wildcard. 

They would be better off trading him (while they can before a possible injury occurs) because they need so much help.

If the Orioles were devoid of org talent like the A’s were it would have made sense to move a Mullins. But considering at the conclusion of ‘19 that we had drafted Adley and Gunnar (by then) AND we had a young Mountcastle and Hays and Grayson and Hall (who was still considered a very good prospect) and we had a very high pick coming the next year. I would say our situation is MUCH DIFFERENT than their situation is. The cupboard is pretty bare in their system.

Another thing to consider about the A’s situation with Miller is what the goal of their season is. They are not seriously competing for anything this year (or even next for that matter), so their goal is to secure the best draft position that they can (given the new rules in place for the lottery style system).

The A’s are currently a few games under .500. While some may see that as good, they are being prompted up by an elite pen (especially back end and nothing else). Their offense is terrible and is being led by a journeyman in Nevin. Their true talent does not suggest team fighting for .500.

This Mason Miller and the like are actually too good and are preventing them from their goal. It seems logical that the best purpose for an elite back end arm like Miller for the A’s org, is to move him for more talent who can help on future teams (when they are a more talented team overall and are ready to win).

Miller for Rodriguez trade got us 20 innings out of Andrew Miller and no world series win while the Red Sox got 14 WAR out of Rodriguez. 

Miller for Basallo is rolling the dice on what could turn out to be one of the worst trades in franchise history.   

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Orioles5258 said:

Miller for Rodriguez trade got us 20 innings out of Andrew Miller and no world series win while the Red Sox got 14 WAR out of Rodriguez. 

Miller for Basallo is rolling the dice on what could turn out to be one of the worst trades in franchise history.   

Elias would NEVER do that deal.

17 minutes ago, Orioles5258 said:

Those innings were NASTY though lol.  Without Miller we don’t get past Detroit in 2014 because we would have likely been facing him. 
I was fine with it and still am. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Orioles5258 said:

It’s not 20 innings. It’s five years. Your argument is a straw man.

FWIW, I wouldn’t have made the miller trade back then either, but Dan did a lot of things that made no sense. This move would make sense.

Mike won’t do it because he’s confident he can muddle through with what he’s got or can rummage from the waiver wire, unless Fujinama is available again. But it’s a fascinating question, and if we had Miller, we’d have Rivera, and he was Money for years.

1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

Those innings were NASTY though lol.  Without Miller we don’t get past Detroit in 2014 because we would have likely been facing him. 
I was fine with it and still am. 

Agreed. Flags fly forever and Andrew Miller did his part that if we had won the World Series this year I wouldn’t have cared if E-Rod was worth 28 WAR in his career.

• Upvote 1