On the record Poll: Hays or McKenna (Update: McKenna DFA'd (Claimed by Giants), Hays activated)

Tony-OH

On the record Poll: Hays or McKenna (Update: McKenna DFA'd (Claimed by Giants), Hays activated)  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Hays or McKenna on the team this year?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/18/24 at 20:09

3 hours ago, Sydnor said:

I would prefer that Cowser play almost everyday and get experience against left handed pitchers. I don’t believe that will happen if Hays on the roster. Therefore, I voted McKenna, who I think brings great vibes in a very limited role that Hays wouldn’t be happy with.

I doubt the great vibes hold up with games like that from McKenna. Just looking at Mountcastle's face after the last out kind of said it all, like: "Dude in the outfield, it's a good thing you caught those last two." Which is no doubt projection on my part, but still. I can't imagine Elias being happy seeing that clown show. 

I'm not sure what role McKenna fills with a healthy Hays and Mateo on the team.  Hays is a better fielder and Mateo is a better pinch runner/base stealer.  I wish we saw more of Mateo in CF.  I feel like Mateo could be an adequate back up CF, but he's had little chance to prove himself.

I do believe that Hays is viewed as a clubhouse leader amongst his teammates.  Just from following him on Instagram it seems him and his family are a big part of the closeness on the team.  

Although chemistry only means so much if he regresses more and someone is playing better.  

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

You would think when Hays comes up, McKenna will go back down, but I think it will be Kjerstad.  Otherwise, why would we see things like O'Hearn in RF that we should never see.

i also think this is how it goes....gets Kjerstad every day at bats/

2 hours ago, catjuggler said:

i also think this is how it goes....gets Kjerstad every day at bats/

Lack of a position is hurting Kjerstad, but I really hope he stays and McKenna goes down for Hays.

If McKenna played average defense i would choose him. Unfortunately he gets bad jumps and iffy with the glove when approaching the ball. We need a RHH to replace Mullins and sometimes Cowser vs LHP. Hays doesn’t fill that role but since he’s a better player you keep him. 

15 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Simple poll. If you can only have one of them on this team right now, for this season, who do you want on the team?

So thinking about this my answer is really neither. IMO McKenna is more of a AAAA player. He was pumped for his speed and defense. The problem is his defense has been shaky at times and he’s a bat that would be  exposed if he had to play regularly. 

As for Hays…. He’s just a solid player. Offensively, he’s just a sub .325 OBP guy. And I think we can do better with one of the guys waiting in the wings. His power doesn’t make it worth putting up a low OBP. Plus his cheap years are ending. So it gets expensive to keep him. 

I honestly think we should purge both. If I was pressed I’d probably keep Hays until I could add/bring up a ready LF. I see that Norby has 22 games in the OF and I’m. Hoping they determine he be an average to plus OF. 

I think Hays comes back as a weak side platoon player with just an occasional start against RHP. Given we're about to face a string of righties, I'm not sure how frequently we see him in the next few series. I think he's basically the OF version of Jorge Mateo at this point.  

As for McKenna, he has the better tools defensively and the metrics bear that out, but McKenna is more error prone whereas I feel more confident in the play being made by Hays. McKenna is probably the better guy to spell Mullins in CF and while he's likely to get to balls Hays may not in that role, I feel better about Hays at least making the plays he's supposed to make. 

I voted Hays because that would be the the most sensible choice for the team.  But put me firmly in the camp that believes giving Cowser a long leash at this point will pay dividends.

100% Hays.....

Fielding:  Hays > McKenna

Arm strength: Hays > McKenna

Base running: Hays > McKenna

Hitting: doesn't matter - as they are no longer starters but late inning defensive replacements / occasional start vs LHP.

McKenna can be DFA'd without the ever so slightest chance of being claimed.  

2 minutes ago, Spakman said:

Why is there no option for dropping off McKenna on a deserted island somewhere that Hyde and Elias cannot find him.

Because that seems to be a bit much for the 26th man on the roster.  

I get it, McKenna isn't a great player and no one should get it twisted that I think he is.  I just happen to think that the difference between him and Hays isn't a wide gap at this point in time.

But my goodness, the way some of you hate on McKenna, it's almost personal or something.  It's really weird to be so angsty towards a player who doesn't get much playing time and probably won't be on the team that much longer.

• Upvote 1