Why Elias took Holliday over Drew Jones in 2022 draft

Cuellar35

1 hour ago, Spy Fox said:

Yeah. I have no real take on whether this is true or not, but you can see why mentors in the kid's life (dad and coach) might prefer a version of events where Druw was the best player available, but not drafted as such for other reasons.

Very much so. Also perhaps at one point months and months before the draft when he was pretty much alone at the top of the board, it was a leverage tactic. 

On 5/11/2024 at 12:29 PM, wildcard said:

I thought there were 2 reasons:

1. Holliday agreed to under slot money.   Slot was 9.7M and he signed for 8.2M.  At the time I had the impression that Jones wanted full slot.

2.  While both players were/are amazing talents Elias was more impressed by Jackson's work ethic.

JMO.

Point 1 is incorrect.  Slot was $8.846 mm.  There was some talk that Jones wanted full slot, but who knows.  Jones signed before Holliday did and got a few hundred dollars less.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/11/2024 at 12:23 PM, dystopia said:

Was a reason given?

Probably ownership.  All I know is this came straight from the Wesleyan head baseball coach.  He would have no reason to lie.  Druw spent his entire school years at Wesleyan so the coach and the Jones family were very close.  Frankly all that matters is the Birds made out in the end.  

On 6/5/2024 at 11:56 AM, Sports Guy said:

Woof..this is brutal looking and it’s just a very SSS:

I'm guessing that you're saying De Paula's swing is much better than Jones?    I didn't realize Jones was a "step in the bucket" hitter.   

On 5/11/2024 at 12:10 PM, OriolesMagic83 said:

If he becomes what Bradfield looks like he could be, that's a big disappointment for Arizona. 

Bradfield has speed and defense. However, he’s having a so so season at A. If he hit 300, the lack of homeruns would be less of an issue. 

1 hour ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Bradfield has speed and defense. However, he’s having a so so season at A. If he hit 300, the lack of homeruns would be less of an issue. 

I mean, Bradfield has been hitting 292 in the last 19 games.