Cal thinks Holiday moved to fast through the system

Tony-OH

Looking back it is hard to argue with Cal here.  

Tremendous talent but sometimes I see him out there and he looks like a little kid playing with adults.

Give him most of the summer and see where he is in August.   And I still think his leg kick is more of a detriment than a help.  I went back and looked at his minor league highlights from last year and he had zero leg kick.  In fact his right foot never really left the ground other than raising it up its toe a little. 

Why they decided to do the high step is a mystery to me. 

• Upvote 1

I think it is easy to say after a rough start of his major league career but look at the stats Holliday put up at all levels last year.  Just about EVERYONE had the opinion he didn’t make the team out of spring training for additional service time.  He starts off the AAA season on fire.  Did Bobby Witt move too fast through KC’s system?  Hindsight is 20/20.  

• Upvote 2

I am not down on Jackson at all, but I do think that he still needs to grow into his body a little more and get his 'grown man' muscles. Another year of physical maturity is going to be great for him imo.

1 minute ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Tremendous talent but sometimes I see him out there and he looks like a little kid playing with adults.

Give him most of the summer and see where he is in August.   And I still think his leg kick is more of a detriment than a help.  I went back and looked at his minor league highlights from last year and he had zero leg kick.  In fact his right foot never really left the ground other than raising it up its toe a little. 

Take that back.  I went back and looked at some more and it looked like he started doing a smaller version of the leg kick about halfway through last year.  So this is not completely new to him.

4 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

https://youtu.be/6zJ8E0aOq4I

All of Jackson's promotions before the AAA to MLB promotion, Jackson was not only hitting well, but dominating.  If I remember correctly his other promotions were usually after hitting around .400 w/ a .500 OBP w/ an even high SLG for a 2 week+ span.  It's not like he was being promoted for average production, like say Salas in San Diego.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, FlaO'sFan said:

I am not down on Jackson at all, but I do think that he still needs to grow into his body a little more and get his 'grown man' muscles. Another year of physical maturity is going to be great for him imo.

At 6 feet and 195 pounds, Holliday’s maximum lift on the bench press has jumped to 315 pounds. He can squat 455 pounds, deadlift 500 pounds and box jump 55 inches — more than 4 1/2 feet.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/2024/02/20/orioles-jackson-holliday-offseason-training-program/

So you want him squatting 700 and deadlifting 600 before getting the call?

I think folks are fooled by his baby face.

Edited by Can_of_corn
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/2024/02/20/orioles-jackson-holliday-offseason-training-program/

So you want him squatting 700 and deadlifting 600 before getting the call?

This is why I love the Hangout, I can post something and get great information like this back. I admit that I was just going by my eyeballs and nothing else, maybe his boyish looks influenced my thinking. Those numbers are certainly eye-popping, I didn't know he was anywhere close to that.

Edited by FlaO'sFan
  • Thanks 1

• Tony-OH changed the title to Cal thinks Holiday moved to fast through the system
14 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

He can’t help that he looks young and doesn’t have facial hair. And yes he was extremely ineffective in his 30+ ABs. But as we have all seen, the jump from AAA to MLB is the most difficult than it has ever been in 2024. Look at how the #2 prospect is doing in MIL … spoiler alert - not good.

Holliday is going to have to find a balance between being patient with his swing decisions but not falling behind in the count so regularly. He will also learn to adjust to the velo that you only consistently see in the big leagues.

20 minutes ago, FlaO'sFan said:

This is why I love the Hangout, I can post something and get great information like this back. I admit that I was just going by my eyeballs and nothing else, maybe his boyish looks influenced my thinking. Those numbers are certainly eye-popping, I didn't know he was anywhere close to that.

Probably his face, because looking at him you can clearly tell he lifts. Also, I thought he noticeably picked up muscle during the off season.