My biggest question entering the season

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The way I see it is if you accumulate 896 at bats in AAA with an OPS of .869 the team doesn't think you're a prospect and the rest of the league isn't that excited about you either.

Elias has slow walked even the top prospects in this organization and outside of Corbin Burnes trade hasn't shown a willingness to trade his excess talent to fill in other holes on the team.

Norby can hit the issue with him has been his defense isn't great.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He just doesn’t understand this…and he doesn’t want to.  He would rather rant and be uneducated and say, we don’t want to talk baseball because we say that even though that is the root of the problem.

I’m kind of proud that I don’t know every teeny tiny bit of data about the game baseball, I have a life otherwise. Here you are early in the morning arguing with people you don’t even know about baseball. Yeah you’re a sports guy alright. 
🤣

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why?

According to the MLB Market Score the Orioles are in the 23rd market.

If they are the 23rd market why should they be ~15 in payroll?

My argument/answer to that question is because that is probably what is required to win a World Series (maybe multiple) given the historical figures of championship team payrolls.

The STL Cardinals have a similar (but even smaller market size). But they have historically carried a healthy payroll and for the most part have been historically competitive and kept and engaged fanbase. They have a wealthy owner (like our new one) which doesn't hurt. 

But to go back to your question, it is probably what is required to keep your team relevant in market, pursue championships, and help grow your fanbase.

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Elias has slow walked even the top prospects in this organization and outside of Corbin Burnes trade hasn't shown a willingness to trade his excess talent to fill in other holes on the team.

Yup

they seem a little confused about what to do with all these players they have. And I’m watching Joey ortiz do very well with the Brewers and he wasn’t even one of our top prospects. Bring the young guys up. Let them play. And start signing some better free agents.

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

My argument/answer to that question is because that is probably what is required to win a World Series (maybe multiple) given the historical figures of championship team payrolls.

The STL Cardinals have a similar (but even smaller market size). But they have historically carried a healthy payroll and for the most part have been historically competitive and kept and engaged fanbase. They have a wealthy owner (like our new one) which doesn't hurt. 

But to go back to your question, it is probably what is required to keep your team relevant in market, pursue championships, and help grow your fanbase.

The reason we have a low payroll is the previous owners fault.
camden yards used to be full of fans every day. He destroyed the franchise. This new owner needs to pick up some of the slack. Remember how disappointed we all were in when the lift thing happened? We actually expected a lift off and nothing happened and we stayed cheap.

Spend some money. It ain’t my money. I just want a winning team.

4 minutes ago, Phil Beckett said:

Our last owner ruined this once pride of the league…so we had to become cheap.

And now I’m supposed to trust this other guy.

He hasn’t shown me anything.

It’s always the fans that suffer.

102-60

34-19

Oh, the suffering.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Phil Beckett said:

Our last owner ruined this once pride of the league…so we had to become cheap.

And now I’m supposed to trust this other guy.

He hasn’t shown me anything.

It’s always the fans that suffer.

OK, don't trust him.

Also, what we as fans do isn't suffering.  That's a remarkable sheltered view of life if you think your favorite sport team's low payroll is something you have to suffer through.

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The way I see it is if you accumulate 896 at bats in AAA with an OPS of .869 the team doesn't think you're a prospect and the rest of the league isn't that excited about you either.

I'm starting to think this is the case.  I'm sure they dangled him to potential trade partners and no one was willing to give up much so he's just kinda stuck at this point because of everyone ahead of him.  

I think Hays and Urias get another month to get things going.  I don’t think anyone else is really on thin ice.  There might be a little more urgency to make changes if the team weren’t playing .642 baseball.  Obviously the team is playing well despite the performance of these players, not because of them, but the winning gives the team the flexibility to give these players a little more rope, and I think they’ll get it.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

What part don't you get about the sale of the team becoming official on OPENING DAY OF THIS SEASON??

How in the world would Rubenstein bring the payroll to middle of the pack in 2 months during the season?

Most agree (especially me) that Angelos (father and son) sucked! But they are gone now.

Are you unwillingly to give Rubenstein a try? Or have you looked into the future (somehow) and have already seen what he will do?

And this is coming from me, the poster who pushes against low expectations, a cheap roster, not doing extensions, being like the Rays with an ongoing forever rebuild/"pipeline", etc. But you are being ridiculous!

I don’t ever remembering saying it has to start today. I want to see some signs though we’re not gonna be cheap. I haven’t seen one thing yet. Have you?

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So you don't think there are other teams in the league that would have called him up by now? Interesting.

I mean, who is that cheap scrapheap we signed that just came into a game and walked the bases loaded and gave up a triple?

That’s cheap.

5 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Pure speculation time.

I think that the fact that Norby has not been called up and that other teams have not been enticed enough by him to finalize a trade for him indicates that they have questions about the bat translating well enough to cover for the glove.

He can hit in AAA, but can he hit well enough in the majors to be valuable as a bat first guy?

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

OK, don't trust him.

Also, what we as fans do isn't suffering.  That's a remarkable sheltered view of life if you think your favorite sport team's low payroll is something you have to suffer through.

Hahahhahhahhhhahha 

Youse guys