My biggest question entering the season

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t think he has a choice.  He has less than 5 years of service time I believe. 

I wasn't 100% sure on his service time. I know it probably won't be an easy decision for the front office but he's really washing out of baseball at this point.

8 minutes ago, justD said:

Thank you so much for pointing out that nice-and-simple piece of data about Norby. 

I looked through various Minors forum threads to see what you've thought of him as the years have passed, and why he never seems to really come up in non-Oriole lists of top prospects, but was unsuccessful in coming up with something. 

"His defense hurts him" has been the general vibe from seemingly informed members of the board, but that wasn't what I was looking for. 

Perhaps it's as simple as not having enough utility across the IF. 

I also can't help but wonder what the analysts see or don't see regarding his bat, and whether he's got holes I can't decipher that would keep his numbers from translating. 

I mean, like CoC said, there's gotta be reasons he hasn't been traded yet, and I don't believe it's ME asking too much for him, but instead an awareness of something we/I don't see but which you might, or have. 

Thanks Dee. I do think Norby is going to hit at the major league level and he's starting to become a competent outfielder. That should help his trade value. I don't think many teams would want to live with his defense at 2B and that hurts his value. If he can show that he can play all three outfield positions (he's only play LF and Rf) that would also help his value as a 4th outfielder type.

Unless they see him as a Hays/McKenna replacement, I think he's got more value in a trade for a reliever to a team that will use him a an everyday corner outfielder. Oakland seems like a nice fit.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Can you track his IP address to Nashville.

Boy I hope that’s not the case. That would be beyond petty. To walk away with almost 2 billion dollars for doing next to nothing and still be bitter. That’s actually sad to think about.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Thanks Dee. I do think Norby is going to hit at the major league level and he's starting to become a competent outfielder. That should help his trade value. I don't think many teams would want to live with his defense at 2B and that hurts his value. If he can show that he can play all three outfield positions (he's only play LF and Rf) that would also help his value as a 4th outfielder type.

Unless they see him as a Hays/McKenna replacement, I think he's got more value in a trade for a reliever to a team that will use him a an everyday corner outfielder. Oakland seems like a nice fit.

One thing about our system, we don't have a ton of RH hitters. So the Hays/McKenna replacement could be a real need. Could be even more important after Santander leaves.

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I agree it's a strong possibility we see Norby traded by July 31st. The bullpen needs help and there's a logjam of position player talent. Elias knows you can only hold onto prospects so long before they lose value.

We might be stuck watching this bullpen for another month before the Orioles are able to make any trades.

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Boy I hope that’s not the case. That would be beyond petty. To walk away with almost 2 billion dollars for doing next to nothing and still be bitter. That’s actually sad to think about.

The timing couldn't have been better for John Angelos. He got to own the Orioles last year basking in the glow of the team's resurgence and sell for big money before getting a chance to ruin the franchise again.

Angelos was already griping last season at the prospect of having to pay Adley and Gunnar.

Posted (edited)

I get that Stowers is performing well at this time, but I'm curious whether Kjerstad's less-than-quality defense in the outfield is contributing to Stowers being up here instead.  Kjerstad is a much higher rated prospect and is ML ready, so if Stowers is getting AB's more regularly than when Kjerstad was up, shouldn't HK be recalled to take Stowers' spot?  It's an interesting situation.  

Edited by Greg Pappas

20 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

What's Norby's deal in the outfield?  Not enough range, bad routes to balls, stone hands, etc?

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

What's Norby's deal in the outfield?  Not enough range, bad routes to balls, stone hands, etc?

He still kicks some balls coming at him on hard line shots or grounders occasionally. His routes are not great but I haven't seen him miss many balls that he should have gotten to, maybe none. But I don't watch every play of every game.

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

You are correct and I agree that it is not about what you spend, but how you spend it. But I was speaking from a historical standpoint to the reality that winning a World Series has traditionally required spending (at a minimum payroll rank of #18 in the last decade).

Yes those were all bad contracts and some of them looked bad at the time given who the player was and would likely be going forward. Spending on those guys is different from say spending big dollars to lock up Henderson to what maybe a historic contract (given how good and young that he is). Or locking up other young players like Adley. Or bringing in big dollar difference making players. Or adding effective weapons in our pen. Or extending Burnes in the offseason or buying his replacement in another reliable/good to very good SP.

Yes, I think we’re on the same page. I wouldn’t mind at all extending Henderson and Westburg. I think it’s too early for some guys, and way too late for others.  But Gunny & Westy should remain on stage for the foreseeable future.

And Burnes is going to be too expensive, so make the offer, take the pick, and move on.

For me, though, and I said this more than once, the issue isn’t spending money in free agency it’s making wise and meaningful trades, and utilizing the assets we have.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

He still kicks some balls coming at him on hard line shots or grounders occasionally. His routes are not great but I haven't seen him miss many balls that he should have gotten to, maybe none. But I don't watch every play of every game.

Well that's not great.  I mean, kicking grounders in the outfield is...I don't wanna say Little League, but it's just not good.