The 2024 Trade Deadline

54 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Just pointing out that we have ammo outside of the big 3 to make any rental deal we want.

Let’s look at our competition for potential trade pieces. The Yankees can offer Hampton. The Dodgers can offer Miller/Hurt. McDermott compares favorably to them. 

I’m not saying we just will nilly toss him in deals. I’d do McDermott for Scherzer if they had to. We didn’t do Hunter Harvey for Lester in 2014. 

I’d prefer they trade value to get a starter from a team like Seattle. If Seattle hopes to be competitive in the playoffs they will need to find some more offense. 

I read that as Scherzer is owed $43 million this year and that $43 million is spread over his game checks for 2024. I read it as Texas got a $20 million stipend for this year basically. 

We’re halfway through the season, so that means he’s owed half of his $43 million. Not half of what’s left to over from his salary and the $20 million stipend. That $20 million stipend seems like it was built in to cover the 1st half of 2024. So he’s owed that 2nd half. Which is $20 million. 

We’re not paying him $20 million the rest of the season. 

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I read that as Scherzer is owed $43 million this year and that $43 million is spread over his game checks for 2024. I read it as Texas got a $20 million stipend for this year basically. 

We’re halfway through the season, so that means he’s owed half of his $43 million. Not half of what’s left to over from his salary and the $20 million stipend. That $20 million stipend seems like it was built in to cover the 1st half of 2024. So he’s owed that 2nd half. Which is $20 million. 

We’re not paying him $20 million the rest of the season. 

No. In 2024 they are on the hook for whatever the Mets aren’t paying in 2024.  With half the season left, that number has been reduced in half.

No one is trading for Scherzer right now because he just got back from the IL and they will want to see more of him. By the time he’s traded, it will be less than half. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

https://www.mlb.com/news/max-scherzer-rangers-mets-trade

The Rangers on the hook for 22.5M total.

According to Cots, NY is paying 30M this year, which means the Rangers had to pay 13M this year.  So, the Os or anyone else will probably only have to pay 5ishM by the time they would deal for him.

https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/al-west/texas-rangers/

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

According to Cots, NY is paying 30M this year, which means the Rangers had to pay 13M this year.  So, the Os or anyone else will probably only have to pay 5ishM by the time they would deal for him.

Perfect, let’s go get him AND Verlander! 

31 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I respect your opinion and your research. I hope it’s only $5 million the rest of the way so that he’s actually an option for us. With him making a second healthy successful start, I assume the definite details of what is owed will be talk about here soon. 

He’s going to be #1 on all the sites/platforms of players most likely to be trade or best available. However they word it. 

So the question is… Is McDermott enough to outbid all of baseball, and would we be comfortable with that?  Assuming the Rangers would want pitching for pitching as most teams do. 

We probably need to consider who we want facing Soto out of the pen. We need a Soto stopper.

https://stathead.com/baseball/versus-finder.cgi?player_id1=soto--003jua&utm_medium=sr_xsite&utm_source=br&utm_campaign=2023_01_player_innernav_stathead&__hstc=107817757.2f3f33a24b44870ec4a577029c49e44b.1699920000170.1699920000171.1699920000172.1&__hssc=107817757.1.1699920000173&__hsfp=966217318

Those are his career stats versus all pitchers. He tunes mostly everyone up pretty good. Some lefties stand out though. More as SP though. Just something to think about for what it seems is an inevitable playoff showdown. 

19 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I firmly believe Elias is attempting to build a package around Mountcastle and Kjerstad w/ 2 to 3 lesser valued pieces in exchange for a good starter

Take this comment as being rude. But there is zero and I mean ZERO chance our starting 1st baseman and 4 hitter is traded. 

40 minutes ago, TopGunnar said:

Take this comment as being rude. But there is zero and I mean ZERO chance our starting 1st baseman and 4 hitter is traded. 

He's at peak value and I believe replaceable. 1B ABs will be mainly OHearn and Mayo with Santander, Urias, and maybe even Westburg getting a couple reps there. I believe Mountcastle's value will never be higher and his loss of production can be easily absorbed.

Someone like Seattle could be all over a trade like this considering their needs

Edited by ScGO's

11 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

He's at peak value and I believe replaceable. 1B ABs will be mainly OHearn and Mayo with Santander, Urias, and maybe even Westburg getting a couple reps there. I believe Mountcastle's value will never be higher and his loss of production can be easily absorbed.

Someone like Seattle could be all over a trade like this considering their needs

I could see Adley playing 1B soon . He can’t play catcher forever 

1 hour ago, ScGO's said:

I firmly believe Elias is attempting to build a package around Mountcastle and Kjerstad w/ 2 to 3 lesser valued pieces in exchange for a good starter

How can you firmly believe something you just imagined based on nothing?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I respect your opinion and your research. I hope it’s only $5 million the rest of the way so that he’s actually an option for us. With him making a second healthy successful start, I assume the definite details of what is owed will be talk about here soon. 

He’s going to be #1 on all the sites/platforms of players most likely to be trade or best available. However they word it. 

So the question is… Is McDermott enough to outbid all of baseball, and would we be comfortable with that?  Assuming the Rangers would want pitching for pitching as most teams do. 

The Rangers probably to raise the white flag 🏳️ first before selling Scherzer. We see