The 2024 Trade Deadline

8 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

@Frobby shared Mayo's stats just Sunday, saying, 

It seems unlikely that the O's would trade away our strong defensive veteran 1B and go with O'Hearn and Mayo in a pennant race.  I could be wrong, of course.

How does O'Hearn stack up to Mountcastle defensively? I haven't seen the metrics, but the eye test seems okay.

45 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

No way should the O's give up Basallo for Snell when he is making $30 mill/ year.  I'm thinking Norby + a couple of lower level prospects.

If Giants want Norby , Stowers, RMC , EBJ and others , then Elias should try work something with them for Snell 

2 minutes ago, GoldGlove21 said:

I think any deal for a stud pitcher would have one of McDermott or Povich in the deal. It seems like teams dealing pitching always like getting a high upside arm back. I am okay with EBJ/McDermott on the back end. I hate that Crochet would only be an arm out of the pen this year and that he has only totaled 180 IP in the last 3 seasons combined.

I could live with giving them both if Kjerstad not Mayo could be the centerpiece.

I think I think on @Greg Pappastopic what is your max offer...mine would be Kjerstad, EBJ, McDermott and Povich.    EBJ as a 2nd piece separates the hairsplitting between Cowser or Kjerstad as a centerpiece.

I can live with Cole Irvin or Bruce Zimmermann being the SP5 opening 2025 because that role is near meaningless by tournament time.

I have a special cheer for Kjerstad as perhaps baseball's individually most significant high talent player interrupted by COVID, but believe he is in a different tier of the global talent pyramid, and that much of what matters in championship competition is how many guys near the very top do you have.

Probably nice for the Orioles if Norby could go in one of those pitcher spots, but I'm dubious he commands that value.

17 minutes ago, bluedog said:

How does O'Hearn stack up to Mountcastle defensively? I haven't seen the metrics, but the eye test seems okay.

I took O'Hearn out of that quote after I posted it, as I was just trying to discuss Mayo at 1B.  O'Hearn is adequate, but not as good as Mounty.  He isn't the issue, but Mayo may be.

23 minutes ago, bluedog said:

I don’t think there’s much difference at all but a lot of posters have a lot higher opinion of Mountcastle’s defense than I do.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I could live with giving them both if Kjerstad not Mayo could be the centerpiece.

I think I think on @Greg Pappastopic what is your max offer...mine would be Kjerstad, EBJ, McDermott and Povich.    EBJ as a 2nd piece separates the hairsplitting between Cowser or Kjerstad as a centerpiece.

I can live with Cole Irvin or Bruce Zimmermann being the SP5 opening 2025 because that role is near meaningless by tournament time.

I have a special cheer for Kjerstad as perhaps baseball's individually most significant high talent player interrupted by COVID, but believe he is in a different tier of the global talent pyramid, and that much of what matters in championship competition is how many guys near the very top do you have.

Probably nice for the Orioles if Norby could go in one of those pitcher spots, but I'm dubious he commands that value.

The global talent pyramid?    Is that something in Egypt?    You kill me, sometimes!    🙂

We can go with O'Hearn at 1B if Mounty is traded, but that would mean we are giving O'Hearn AB's against all lefties. Unless Urias plays 1B against lefties, but that probably isn't better. I guess it depends if you see Kjerstad/Mayo at DH with O'Hearn at 1B a better result overall. In the end I don't think Mounty is traded.