The 2024 Trade Deadline

2 hours ago, Malike said:

It hasn't been my theme, it's been the truth. You keep pretending that I'm making it up that he's been bad. I'm not. The Rangers traded for a catcher with a 101 OPS+, which isn't very good because Heim has an OPS+ of 78. It's been your theme that Heim is the same all-star that he was last year and would be a huge upgrade. You don't trade for a backup catcher, you find them on the FA market or in AAA every year.

That’s silly. I have never pretended that you’re making it up. As a matter fact my comment you quoted was at least the second comment where I agreed with you. 
Don’t claim that I’ve said things that I haven’t.

My point was that every time I have mentioned Jonah Heim you’ve mentioned that he’s terrible this year, and I agreed that yes he has been bad this year. 
I agreed.

I also said that he’s an upgrade over McCann, which he is.

Edited by HowAboutThat

5 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

That’s silly. I have never pretended that you’re making it up. As a matter fact my comment you quoted was at least the second comment where I agreed with you. 
You shouldn’t say things that are not true or claim that I’ve said things that I haven’t.

My point was that every time I have mentioned Jonah Heim you’ve mentioned that he’s terrible this year, and I agreed that yes he has been bad this year. 
I agreed.

I also said that he’s an upgrade over McCann, which he is.

You said it's been my theme and I'm going to assume you're not talking about the arts, ie, Music, Movies, or Literature so it should be safe to assume you mean my thoughts, which is the only definition of theme that would apply here.

It isn't my thought that he's not been a good player, it's a fact. You would trade something for a backup catcher? That isn't a good use of resources, he's much closer to McCann with the bat than he is to the guy that Texas traded to replace him.

31 minutes ago, Malike said:

You said it's been my theme and I'm going to assume you're not talking about the arts, ie, Music, Movies, or Literature so it should be safe to assume you mean my thoughts, which is the only definition of theme that would apply here.

It isn't my thought that he's not been a good player, it's a fact. You would trade something for a backup catcher? That isn't a good use of resources, he's much closer to McCann with the bat than he is to the guy that Texas traded to replace him.

It’s your theme because every time I mention Heim, you say how bad he is and completely ignore my point which is that yes I agree he’s slipped a lot since last year, but he remains an improvement over McCann. 
Yes Heim has an OPs+ of 78. McCann’s is 66.

I never said Jonah was the risen savior, only that he’s better than McCann, which he is.

sheesh

1 minute ago, HowAboutThat said:

It’s your theme because every time I mention Heim, you say how bad he is and completely ignore my point which is that yes I agree he’s slipped a lot since last year, but he remains an improvement over McCann. 

I never said Jonah was the risen savior, only that he’s better than McCann, which he is.

sheesh

The confusing part is you are willing to trade assets to acquire a backup catcher who is now arb eligible and is going to cost more than your starting catcher. Again, it doesn't seem like a good trade to me, it's a head-scratcher. The bonus is you are stuck paying him until 2027 and he's been worth .2 fWAR this year which is carried by his defense, which also happens to be way down this year.

13 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

sheesh

Not to pile on here but who cares.

This team should be looking to make upgrades so it is in a better position to compete in the playoffs.

In the playoffs, your back-up catcher isn't going to see the field- at least not in the O's case.

So why the focus on something that isn't going to improve our playoff odds?

42 minutes ago, Malike said:

The confusing part is you are willing to trade assets to acquire a backup catcher who is now arb eligible and is going to cost more than your starting catcher. Again, it doesn't seem like a good trade to me, it's a head-scratcher. The bonus is you are stuck paying him until 2027 and he's been worth .2 fWAR this year which is carried by his defense, which also happens to be way down this year.

Heim is worth .09 bWAR this year. He’s costing a bit over 3 million. McCann’s bWAR is -0.1 and he’s is in the final year of a 4/40 contract. 
The confusing part is that you kept ignoring me when I agreed Heim had slipped but was still a better catcher than McCann. There’s no need to accuse me of saying things I didn’t, nor of making this into a major point of contention.

Heim would be better than McCann, and wouldn’t cost anything meaningful, but it’s a really minor thing, I’ve only mentioned it in passing a few times.

2 hours ago, Pickles said:

Not to pile on here but who cares.

This team should be looking to make upgrades so it is in a better position to compete in the playoffs.

In the playoffs, your back-up catcher isn't going to see the field- at least not in the O's case.

So why the focus on something that isn't going to improve our playoff odds?

I dont think you piled on. Its a fact unless Adley is injured, Dont think youre going to McCann at all.

4 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Mountcastle is still being discussed in Seattle. Perhaps they could get Montez and a MILB pitcher. 

Then upgrade the team by other trades.

It was never realistic/reasonable for anyone to think that Seattle would subtract from their team’s strength (starting pitching) in an effort to win, when they have a stocked Minor League system.

Dipoto’s comments follow the kind of logic that you would typically expect of a team attempting to contend.

This doesn’t mean that Ellis approach of “both/and” (have his cake and eat it too) is wrong. But it certainly is different. Only time will tel if Elias and the front office’s approach is correct.

9 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

We don't know that.

Elias did say in an interview a few weeks back that ownership has pretty much given him backing to do what he needs to do this deadline, including supplementing payroll. I cant remember his exact words. The Eflin trade would support that. Hopefully he has a few more up his sleeve. 

Edited by terpoh

9 minutes ago, terpoh said:

Elias did say in an interview a few weeks back that ownership has pretty much given him backing to do what he needs to do this deadline, including supplementing payroll. I cant remember his exact words. The Eflin trade would support that. Hopefully he has a few more up his sleeve. 

He also said the last thing about the previous ownership.

Early returns are promising, but I'm going to wait a bit before getting too excited about an expanding payroll.