The 2024 Trade Deadline

With the Orioles wanting a righty OF and both remaining available being on the Angels (Pillar and Ward), the Orioles have definitely been in talks with the Angels. With Anderson, García, Detmers and other Angels players that might be moved that haven’t been traded yet, I wonder if the Orioles are close on a deal with the Angels but haven’t pulled the trigger because they’re hunting for a bigger SP. 

Maybe plan A is Snell or Flaherty (assuming no Skubal or Crochet) and then they’d pick up only Ward or Pillar, but plan B is a package deal of Anderson or Detmers and Ward/Pillar. 

I’m extremely skeptical of Anderson so I hope it ends up plan A, but Detmers would be an interesting pickup. 

2 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

With the Orioles wanting a righty OF and both remaining available being on the Angels (Pillar and Ward), the Orioles have definitely been in talks with the Angels. With Anderson, García, Detmers and other Angels players that might be moved that haven’t been traded yet, I wonder if the Orioles are close on a deal with the Angels but haven’t pulled the trigger because they’re hunting for a bigger SP. 

Maybe plan A is Snell or Flaherty (assuming no Skubal or Crochet) and then they’d pick up only Ward or Pillar, but plan B is a package deal of Anderson or Detmers and Ward/Pillar. 

I’m extremely skeptical of Anderson so I hope it ends up plan A, but Detmers would be an interesting pickup. 

I agree with some of this post, but essentially saying that Ward and Pillar are the two remaining RHH OF on the board is unlikely to be true.  Those two have been talked about most often as trade candidates, but just because players are featured in articles/tweets, etc. doesn't mean there aren't several others available.  No one saw Soler being dealt to Atlanta, for instance.  But back to your point about the Angels... there are fits there that may fill needs, so a package deal remains a possibility.

1 minute ago, webbrick2010 said:

10 hours from another Elias epic fail?

Just letting Chisolm who would have been a great fit for the O's go to the Yankees for not very good prospects was very bad.

I think Chisolm is overrated.

14 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

For all the talk of trading Mounty, I'd like to think that it would hurt the defense even more.  

We could ask for 7-foot pitcher Sean Hjelle with an eye on converting him to 1B, or try and coax Manute Bol out of retirement.

Last night Povich and Webb both looked like No's for me on the tossup if you can abide them as one of your 12-13 pitchers for a postseason roster.    Our Arms won't be as deep as the Dodgers team Kimbrel failed to make - he'll stay in the mix.

Postseason roster structure, you bring 12 but perhaps only really use 9-10 outside of mop up work.

Burnes, Grayson, Eflin, Kremer, Kimbrel, Cano, Seranthony

I guess Coulombe, Cionel and McDermott round out the first 10 this morning.    The org rightly talks of the serenity prayer, and controlling controllables - Mike Elias has the rudder about 10 more hours.

I'm only 97% kidding about signing up unretired Madison Bumgarner to glare at people and be the 13th pitcher.

21 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

For all the talk of trading Mounty, I'd like to think that it would hurt the defense even more.  

It could…but the reality is that what the totality of the roster looks like is more important.

The team has to start playing better and they will but the reality is that they need to worry about the best roster possible for the playoffs. And while Mounty’s defense is something to consider, he’s really just league average or so.

If we trade him, what we get in return could matter more.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

It could…but the reality is that what the totality of the roster looks like is more important.

The team has to start playing better and they will but the reality is that they need to worry about the best roster possible for the playoffs. And while Mounty’s defense is something to consider, he’s really just league average or so.

If we trade him, what we get in return could matter more.

He's got a 118 OPS+.

Starting pitcher is biggest need to me. Suárez and Povich showed they cannot be relied on the rest of the season. Left handed reliever is second biggest need. I would like to see the Orioles use Mayo in RF more after trade deadline. That could be our RHH if one cannot be acquired.

One thing it seems that these teams are looking for are guys far away.  Some of these sellers are telling you not only are they not going to compete in 2025 but probably not in 2026 either.

Im just not sure how much value guys like Norby have for some of these guys. They may want younger and further away to go with their time line.

Something to consider as the day goes on today.

27 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Absolutely, that’s the trade-off.  Mountcastle is also just as likely (maybe more?) to outhit Mayo the next two months than vice versa.

However, if Mountcastle can bring back a meaningful piece that outweighs the risks, then a trade could still help the 2024 campaign while setting us up better for 2025 and beyond since Mayo has more upside and will be cheaper. Otherwise, Mayo will have a limited role this year as a platoon DH when a lefty starts and Adley isn’t DHing. It doesn’t seem like they are considering him for third base.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

One thing it seems that these teams are looking for are guys far away.  Some of these sellers are telling you not only are they not going to compete in 2025 but probably not in 2026 either.

Im just not sure how much value guys like Norby have for some of these guys. They may want younger and further away to go with their time line.

Something to consider as the day goes on today.

Except for a team like the Tigers. I’m guessing they want a MLB ready bat for Flaherty. The problem with Norby though is that they already have Colt Keith and he’s a bad defender at 2B, neither of them play 3B. 

2 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Starting pitcher is biggest need to me. Suárez and Povich showed they cannot be relied on the rest of the season. Left handed reliever is second biggest need. I would like to see the Orioles use Mayo in RF more after trade deadline. That could be our RHH if one cannot be acquired.

Yea I’m not as pressed about the hitter because I think Holliday and Mayo are up soon.

Personally, I hope they get one starter and 2 relievers. Right now, even if you add another reliever, I still think we are going to be too reliant on Perez and cano and I don’t want to be in that situation.