The 2024 Trade Deadline

10 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I think it was more fun with how great Mountcastle has hit against them, but if they go small and only trade impending free agents planning to try again in Vlad and Bo's walk year, Mountcastle would fit their roster as a 1B/DH upgrade on what Justin Turner is giving them this year.

It is night and day though depending what Shapiro/Atkins decide on if they are giving the current roster core one last try in 2025.

Bingo. Yeah unless the Jays were lying and do plan to trade Vlad, it doesn’t make a lot of sense to get another righty 1B but with how infamous Mounty is in Toronto, you never know haha

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Bryce Miller and Ryne Stanek for Hays, Norby, Stowers, Povich and McGough?

What do you think?

I think the Mariners wouldn’t do that.  I worded that a lot nicer than I originally planned.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I think the Mariners wouldn’t do that.  I worded that a lot nicer than I originally planned.

They are getting Woo back.   Stanek is a FA in three months.   They need offense.

3 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

I don’t agree that we have so many holes that we can’t fill them or that we should just punt on this first place season. 

However, I don’t believe that we have one of the best staffs in baseball either.

We HAD one of the best staffs before the Bradish and Means injuries. Now our staff is very shaky.

Look at the ERA for the first two months and then compare it to the jump in June. And the skyrocket so far this month. 

Currently (for at least the last four/five turns through the rotation) at least one pitcher is getting bombed with a non-competitive start. And sometimes twice through the rotation.

We are fortunate that the Yanks have cratered. But this is not sustainable through another half of baseball. There will be no abled arm relievers left by the end of the season having to cover so many innings.

This is why since the Houston series we have been a .500ish team. It’s hard to sustain winning streaks with pitching that has been this bad of late.

The Orioles have pitched 808 innings this year.

Bradish & Means have covered 60 of those innings.  

Since the Houston series the Orioles are 8-6.

Team era is April/March was 3.68.  

Team era in June was 3.73. 

Maybe take a Quick Look at BBref before postings.  Almost everything you said is inaccurate.  

Edited by emmett16

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

They are getting Woo back.   Stanek is a FA in three months.   They need offense.

And what offense are you sending them?   Hays who is ok.   Norby and Stowers who are both unproven.   Why wouldn’t they just look for someone like Taylor Ward or Tommy Pham instead of Hays?

4 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

After the big game last night, the Past 1 Calendar Year filter on fWAR pegs Kikuchi one of just 12 qualified pitchers at 4 fWAR or more.     He is tucked right between Corbin Burnes and Grayson Rodriguez.

He diced us up a couple times.  Was super impressed.  I was thinking about him a while back but saw he was scuffling.  He’s intriguing for sure. 

I don’t think anything will get done until the end of the month. These teams try to hold their players as ransom until the very last moment. Elias will not give up more than he seems fair. Expect 2 more weeks of this.

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

And what offense are you sending them?   Hays who is ok.   Norby and Stowers who are both unproven.   Why wouldn’t they just look for someone like Taylor Ward or Tommy Pham instead of Hays?

Hays when healthy plays like an All Star.  His OPS since June 1st is over 1.000.  Norby and Stowers will both hit 20 homers a season for the next 5 years.  All they need is a chance.   Norby is probably the Mariners everyday 2B.  He may be their best hitter after Rodriguez (who is not hitting right now),

The Seattle dream is just a little far fetched. What contender trades pitching?  What contender trades bats that help their current team in any capacity, even if it’s only against LHP?  Is anyone that Seattle would even entertain trading a better option for game 3 than Scherzer, Kikuchi, or Fedde?

Seattle lines up well in the offseason though. 

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Hays when healthy plays like an All Star.  His OPS since June 1st is over 1.000.  Norby and Stowers will both hit 20 homers a season for the next 5 years.  All they need is a chance.   Norby is probably the Mariners everyday 2B.  He may be their best hitter after Rodriguez (who is not hitting right now),

Hays is more of a platoon player recently he's only played in 15 games since June 1st. Hays doesn't have much trade value right now and would be a throw in for any major trade.

The Orioles are going to have to part with prospects to get any real pitching help by the trade deadline.

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The Seattle dream is just a little far fetched. What contender trades pitching?  What contender trades bats that help their current team in any capacity, even if it’s only against LHP?  Is anyone that Seattle would even entertain trading a better option for game 3 than Scherzer, Kikuchi, or Fedde?

Seattle lines up well in the offseason though. 

Rays.

Edited by Can_of_corn

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

If these things are true, trade them Santander, who is a real upgrade for them and keep those guys instead.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Good grief.