The 2024 Trade Deadline

15 minutes ago, interloper said:

Elias doesn't have leaks typically, so it's always hard to believe these kinds of rumors that mention the Orioles.

That said.

If you want to have the best possible rotation for a World Series run, you can't do much better than Burnes/Skubal/Rodriguez. And Skubal solves a big 2025 problem also, so it's definitely the best possible move Elias could make for a SP. 

Not to mention that Skubal would be covered for 2026 season also 

Good summary of buyers with a need at 3B.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-2024-replacement-level-killers-catcher-third-base/

Most interesting is the Dodgers, I didn’t realize the severity of the Muncy injury or how bad their replacements have been. The article even mentions Urias as a fit. The Dodgers always have a ton of interesting arms, I’d take any intriguing righty RP with options. Maybe Michael Grove? Bad ERA but rest of his numbers are good. 

It’s crazy to me that so many people like Mayo and Basallo better than Holliday because of His 36 abs.  Do you dislike James Wood too with his 60 abs and negative 9 launch angle and negative WAR to go along with poor fielding? Most prospects come up and initially struggle and Holliday is much younger than most.

Since Corbin Burnes start on June 16th in which we defeated the Phillies 8-3 to go to a season high 23 games over .500, we have gone 11- 14. In that stretch of 25 games we have had two 5 game losing streaks and gotten what 9/10 good starts?

Something has to change. And in all likelihood, it is up to Elias to provide the help to change it.

• Upvote 1

With the latest Skubal talk, what do you think is a realistic package from us that could get it done? The package doesn't have to mean that you would do it and it doesn't mean the Tigers are even willing to deal him at all. Just curious.

2 minutes ago, EdwinRip said:

It’s crazy to me that so many people like Mayo and Basallo better than Holliday because of His 36 abs.  Do you dislike James Wood too with his 60 abs and negative 9 launch angle and negative WAR to go along with poor fielding? Most prospects come up and initially struggle and Holliday is much younger than most.

I think the power upside of Mayo and Basallo is appealing and at least some of Holliday's appeal comes from his ability to play SS and be a MLB SS when we already have what we hope to be the answer there for a long time. The move to 2B still makes him valuable defensively (of course), but I think that plays into it and thus, he may have more value to some team that needs a SS of the future rather than a 2B of the future. The bats for those two are louder than Holliday (not necessarily better, but that's the appeal). 

I think that combined with the idea that Holliday is still ranked as the #1 prospect in baseball by many publications makes him the bigger ticket and, consequently, the likeliest to land the biggest return (with the least amount of complimentary pieces) are the big reasons we seem to have waned a bit on Holliday. 

All in all, I don't know if I buy into that, BUT...I think all that above is part of the reasoning in addition to those 36 ABs. 

15 minutes ago, EdwinRip said:

It depends …. I suspect Detroit starts with Holliday or Basallo. Who knows, maybe they ask for 1 of them plus Mayo, McDermott, Norby and a 5th.

Edited by Roll Tide

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

In what universe can the Dodgers with their Minor League assets outbid us compared to what we have?

This has to have some sort of Tiger's slant to attempt to get more teams in on the bidding.

If any of this is true and we are able to land Tarik Skubal, what a day on the OH that will be! Some will love it, more will hate it (because of who we have to give up). Let the fireworks begin!

Dodgers have a strong system

1 minute ago, casadeozo said:

Dodgers have a strong system

Can you tell me 1 player that they have on the level of Kjerstad, Mayo, Basallo, Holliday?

IMO they have 1 maybe 2 borderline top 50 prospects.

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Can you tell me 1 player that they have on the level of Kjerstad, Mayo, Basallo, Holliday?

It's not that they can outbid us...they can not. But they can outbid what we're willing to give up.

12 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

It depends …. I suspect Detroit starts with Holliday or Basallo. Who knows, maybe they ask for 1 of them plus Mayo, McDermott, Norby and a 5th.

I've been on a Tigers fan forum regarding a trade for Skubal and shared their thoughts earlier in the thread, but, yes, some say Holliday, or maybe Mayo to lead the package. Of course that's their fans, not their GM :)

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

If the Tigers asks for one of the three plus complimentary players, Orioles will listen at least . If the Tigers asks for two of the three , the conversation is OVER 

Posted (edited)

As I've repeated, Skubal makes the most sense to me, at least among the teams out of the race, and fills a deep need for us now and for the following two seasons.  The cost, naturally, is at issue.  

Edited by Greg Pappas
  • Upvote 1

If we could propose something like Mayo, Norby, McDermott, Kjersted then I think the Tigers would consider it. If you have to substitute Basallo then maybe subtract someone like Norby. If it's Holliday it would have to be close to  straight up I would guess. I think Holliday is the one guy that is the most untouchable. Even still you might need to add a prospect. Skubal may be the best pitcher in baseball right now. 

19 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Yes Depaula and Ryan are both top 30 prospects

• Upvote 1