The 2024 Trade Deadline

Posted (edited)

I have brought up Taylor Ward (30), as have others, regarding thinking he'd be a solid addition.  I look at Ward and think, quality corner outfielder, a solid right-handed bat, and under control another two and a half seasons. All true, but my heart tells me that since Hays is a younger, and somewhat similar comp for Ward, Elias will stick with Hays.  Yet, if Hays reverts back from his recent surge and stinks in the coming weeks, that could change Elias' mind.

Edited by Greg Pappas

It appears we'll have to acquire our talent from trades, the players voted in the MLB 2024 player poll today and nobody likes the O's. It was just more than 100 players interviewed about evenly split between the AL and NL.

image.thumb.png.30fa0bbd6654ffbbb85733d17e74e4c2.png

2 minutes ago, G54377 said:

That's what a good GM does. McDermott, Seth Johnson, Cano, Povich all came from those trades from guys that seemingly expired the moment they were traded.

I agree.  But that was not Malike point.    His point was that the O's were in it until the last few games of the 2022 season.  And I said they traded Mancini and Lopez at the deadline anyway.

In some ways the Cards and the 2022 O's are in similar situation.   Two .500ish teams that probably will not go deep into the playoff if they make it.  Elias philosophy is/was that if you don't think you can go deep in the playoff sell at the deadline.   What will the Cards do?

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I agree.  But that was not Malike point.    His point was that the O's were in it until the last few games of the 2022 season.  And I said they traded Mancini and Lopez at the deadline anyway.

In some ways the Cards and the 2022 O's are in similar situation.   Two .500ish teams that probably will not go deep into the playoff if they make it.  Elias philosophy is/was that if you don't think you can go deep in the playoff sell at the deadline.   What will the Cards do?

The difference between the two teams is the Cards have a long history of being one of the best-run franchises in baseball, the O's were coming off historically bad seasons. The Cards will try to get to the playoffs this year if they are still close to a WC berth at the deadline.

5 minutes ago, Malike said:

It appears we'll have to acquire our talent from trades, the players voted in the MLB 2024 player poll today and nobody likes the O's. It was just more than 100 players interviewed about evenly split between the AL and NL.

image.thumb.png.30fa0bbd6654ffbbb85733d17e74e4c2.png

Teams also mentioned include the Orioles. I’m surprised Seattle wasn’t higher. Despite the rain, it’s a beautiful area.

2 minutes ago, HowAbout That said:

Teams also mentioned include the Orioles. I’m surprised Seattle wasn’t higher. Despite the rain, it’s a beautiful area.

I lived in Seattle in the mid 90's and I loved it. I went back about 2 years ago to visit friends and couldn't wait to leave. It's not the same town.

9 minutes ago, HowAbout That said:

Not anymore…not from what I hear from friends who live out there. They have allowed that city to be ruined.

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, wildcard said:

if Ortiz and Hall gets Burnes, does Norby, McDermott and Horvath get the O's a year and a half of Helsley?

That'd be malpractice for us to give that up for Helsley. 

Personally, I think McDermott could be Helsley. McDermott has had much better numbers as a starter than Helsley did prior to him converting into a reliever. Something to keep in mind. That said, I do worry about McDermott's walk rate. But we have no idea how it'd look as a reliever vs. a starter. Hesley didn't exactly have a pristine walk rate in AAA/AA. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Malike said:

The difference between the two teams is the Cards have a long history of being one of the best-run franchises in baseball, the O's were coming off historically bad seasons. The Cards will try to get to the playoffs this year if they are still close to a WC berth at the deadline.

A well run franchise would sell if they were in the Cardinals position this year. They are not winning anything w/ a Gibson and Lynn behind Gray in the rotation. They have some nice young players to build around if they sell off some pieces at the deadline. They are currently a bottom third farm system.

49 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Also what if Elias believes Helsley will win him a WS?

This October who does Elias want closing games for the O's?  Helsley or McDermott?

Kimbrel will be the closer in October.

1 minute ago, DirtyBird said:

A well run franchise would sell if they were in the Cardinals position this year. They are not winning anything w/ a Gibson and Lynn behind Gray in the rotation. They have some nice young players to build around if they sell off some pieces at the deadline. They are currently a bottom third farm system.

In 2006 they won the WS they after going 83-78 in the regular season.

Just now, DirtyBird said:

Texas had the 17th-worst ERA in baseball and AZ the 20th, it didn't seem to hurt them last year.  STL is currently 18th. They aren't getting good prospects for Gibson and Lynn, but they are going to try to get into the playoffs and will likely be buying, in my opinion, dumb or not, they didn't shell out money for the team this year just to sell if they are in WC contention.

1 minute ago, Malike said:

Texas had the 17th-worst ERA in baseball and AZ the 20th, it didn't seem to hurt them last year.  STL is currently 18th. They aren't getting good prospects for Gibson and Lynn, but they are going to try to get into the playoffs and will likely be buying, in my opinion, dumb or not, they didn't shell out money for the team this year just to sell if they are in WC contention.

Buy with what?